Is that piece of junk toy rocket an atomic bomb ???!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AcThPaU
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is that piece of junk toy rocket an atomic bomb ???!

Post by AcThPaU »

Come on, WTF, it costs 30 U-235 and cannot kill a bug on single hit..

the explosion is like a fart. It's just so wrong.

Nothing should be left standing when hit by a nuke, the AOE should be at least 1 chunk, and nothing will ever grow again.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is that piece of junk toy rocket an atomic bomb ???!

Post by Tekky »

In my experience, everything within the explosive radius of the "atomic bomb" is instantly killed, even myself with full shields, if I am in the explosion radius. However, I have only tried it with big biters and not behemoth biters.

Could it be that you are confusing the "atomic bomb" with the "uranium cannon shell"? The latter is made from uranium 238, not 235, and is not supposed to create a nuclear explosion.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

The behemoth biters have 5k health, and 10/20% armor vs. explosive (effective 6,250 health vs. explosive damage). It would take 17 mini-explosions from an atomic bomb to kill one. Compare to only 2 mini-explosions for a big biter (the first reduces it to only 4% health). They are extremely tough by design, area-effect weapons are not an effective way to deal with them.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

AcThPaU wrote:Nothing should be left standing when hit by a nuke, the AOE should be at least 1 chunk, and nothing will ever grow again.
Cockroaches can survive fairly well. And besides the biters are like huge versions of them which means they should survive right :)!?
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Yeah the nuke is disappointing. I was expecting a long range launch system, a much larger explosion, more damage, and at least a crater

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

British_Petroleum wrote:Yeah the nuke is disappointing. I was expecting a long range launch system, a much larger explosion, more damage, and at least a crater
Gotta mod it in and add radiation damage :twisted:
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

Aru wrote:The behemoth biters have 5k health, and 10/20% armor vs. explosive (effective 6,250 health vs. explosive damage). It would take 17 mini-explosions from an atomic bomb to kill one. Compare to only 2 mini-explosions for a big biter (the first reduces it to only 4% health). They are extremely tough by design, area-effect weapons are not an effective way to deal with them.
Wait, the nuke is not a single large explosion? All I can say to that is: Huh?

AcThPaU
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AcThPaU »

jorgenRe wrote:
AcThPaU wrote:Nothing should be left standing when hit by a nuke, the AOE should be at least 1 chunk, and nothing will ever grow again.
Cockroaches can survive fairly well. And besides the biters are like huge versions of them which means they should survive right :)!?

Well, I don't think anything can survive the detonation, they simply ionized.... The cockroaches might survive the fallout, but certainly not the explosion.

AcThPaU
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AcThPaU »

Nemoricus wrote:
Aru wrote:The behemoth biters have 5k health, and 10/20% armor vs. explosive (effective 6,250 health vs. explosive damage). It would take 17 mini-explosions from an atomic bomb to kill one. Compare to only 2 mini-explosions for a big biter (the first reduces it to only 4% health). They are extremely tough by design, area-effect weapons are not an effective way to deal with them.
Wait, the nuke is not a single large explosion? All I can say to that is: Huh?

Yeah, it's more like a firecracker.

AcThPaU
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AcThPaU »

British_Petroleum wrote:Yeah the nuke is disappointing. I was expecting a long range launch system, a much larger explosion, more damage, and at least a crater

The dev should definitely make some changes about this, the toy rocket is unacceptable.

wlfbck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wlfbck »

AcThPaU wrote:

The dev should definitely make some changes about this, the toy rocket is unacceptable.
From what it looks like right now i think it's a dummy implementation. So i guess we're gonna get a new 'real' one eventually.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

I would also argue, that any well placed rocket or cannon shell should kill a single behemoth, while the nuke should kill a whole base with any behemoth in it.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

AcThPaU wrote:Come on, WTF, it costs 30 U-235 and cannot kill a bug on single hit..

the explosion is like a fart. It's just so wrong.

Nothing should be left standing when hit by a nuke, the AOE should be at least 1 chunk, and nothing will ever grow again.
The inspiration for the nuke was this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Croc ... ar_device)

It was designed to be a low yield tactical nuclear device. In fact the Davy Crockett at its minimum yield setting only delivers 10 tons TNT equivalent- while our largest conventional bomb the MOAB yields 11 tons TNT equivalent.

It does not destroy everything and leave a lifeless wasteland. In fact it was designed to provide only temporary area denial and structural demolishing such that it could be used to hold a choke point until sufficient armored vehicles and soldiers could reach the target area to secure it.

If it is unable to reliably kill a behemoth, then perhaps it does need a few more percent of damage. But it is not intended to be a doomsday device by any means, as such a device would have precisely zero tactical value.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

kyletheinilater
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kyletheinilater »

Maybe there is a mod out there that allows you to launch a nuke from a nuke silo and then you can launch it to anywhere you can see/ where your radars wee for you

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jarin »

I start to wonder if people are playing a different version of the game than I am. I lob a nuke, then *RUN* because it's going to obliterate everything in the area, and the blast radius is larger than my firing range.

Vykromod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vykromod »

While being able to shoot it as an ammo for rocket launcher is incredibly awesome, I think it SHOULD be possible to just send it over long ranges to remotely bomb biter nests. As it is now, no matter what weapon you use, you have to go there and use it. So why choose a nuke over, say, a tank? Or just about any conventional weapon? Especially since the latter option CAN kill behemoth biters. The atomic bomb, while super cool, is impractical - it's ridiculously more expensive while not offering any tactical advantage over conventional brute force. At least make it kill those behemoths!

The ability to send it over long range ICBM-style would make the nuke far less redundant as a combat option.

My only concern is PVP, which is a whole different story. While I think it would be cool to have a functionality of delivering an a-bomb over a long range (especially with the new map system), I think it would ruin PVP. What's stopping you from just dumping the thing right into the middle of the other team's main base, past the turrets, and effectively leaving their production entirely paralyzed?

cerberusti
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cerberusti »

I admit, I put a stack of nukes on a rocket and was a little disappointed I did not get a targeting cursor when I launched it.

kurtulmak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kurtulmak »

OdinYggd wrote:The inspiration for the nuke was this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Croc ... ar_device)

It was designed to be a low yield tactical nuclear device. In fact the Davy Crockett at its minimum yield setting only delivers 10 tons TNT equivalent- while our largest conventional bomb the MOAB yields 11 tons TNT equivalent.

It does not destroy everything and leave a lifeless wasteland. In fact it was designed to provide only temporary area denial and structural demolishing such that it could be used to hold a choke point until sufficient armored vehicles and soldiers could reach the target area to secure it.

If it is unable to reliably kill a behemoth, then perhaps it does need a few more percent of damage. But it is not intended to be a doomsday device by any means, as such a device would have precisely zero tactical value.
If it's supposed to be a Davy Crockett it should leave behind a permanent radiation-poisoned zone that kills non-behemoth biters (and players) in a few dozen ticks if they try to cross.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

cerberusti wrote:I admit, I put a stack of nukes on a rocket and was a little disappointed I did not get a targeting cursor when I launched it.
A targeting cursor would definitely be helpful, both for placing your shots and for avoiding getting vaporized yourself.

After playing with it myself, the atomic bomb is actually pretty impressive, and if it's underpowered against behemoth biters, well...at least it will destroy the spawners in one shot. Then you just need to mop up.

saturn7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by saturn7 »

My nukes so far have killed all behemoth biters in its radius (though I have researched rocket damage up to ~4000 space science requirement). From what I read here, isn't that supposed to happen?

Return to “General discussion”