0.15 pre-release to major mod makers!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

0.15 pre-release to major mod makers!

Post by npuldon »

Some guy: "Hey! Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the devs pre-released 0.15(at least as it is now, pre-launch) to the major mod makers (Angels, Bobs, Yuoki, AAI) so they can prep their updates ahead of time...

The Entire Factorio Player Base: "Yeah, you know, that would be great!"

-2 cents

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.15 pre-release to major mod makers!

Post by quinor »

You know that at first .15 will be released as experimental release with multiple bugs, right?

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

Yes, but I would deem such bugs quite minor by this point. Bugs are found very quickly in this game and fixed very quickly thanks to the great dev team.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

0.15.0 is the mod maker's prerelease. If you like mods, you should wait for 0.15.1.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

npuldon wrote:Yes, but I would deem such bugs quite minor by this point. Bugs are found very quickly in this game and fixed very quickly thanks to the great dev team.
They are, but that doesn't stop people from losing their cookies over the bugs that inconvenience them, EA/beta or not. The headaches and potential bad press involved with one spoiled internet warrior/brat whining over a bug is definitely not worth any goodwill it might engender. We've already got posts from people complaining about the 0.15 "delay", as though 0.14 is somehow vastly inferior and not worth playing fully.

Not sure it would really matter, to be honest. I'm pretty sure I recall a post by Bob estimating months before his mod was made fully 0.15 compatible? Besides, I suspect the more people playing vanilla 0.15 at the beginning, the better for bug hunting/fixing, since there are fewer variables to account for.

ftbreizhbugs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ftbreizhbugs »

I am quite disappointed that most people dont play the vanilla factorio: its hard to find a good Youtube let's play that doesnt use bob/angels mod...

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Wouldnt it be better if 0.15 was tested first, and then modded? I wouldnt wanna mod a funked up version of a game that nobody knows is either balanced or bugged or generally is in no definitive state. Unless you are the guy that is always the first to mod just for the sake of being the first to mod. These mods are shit anyway fyi

Most mods that will appear fast will likely be those adapted from 0.14 anyway.
ftbreizhbugs wrote:I am quite disappointed that most people dont play the vanilla factorio: its hard to find a good Youtube let's play that doesnt use bob/angels mod...
Like if bob and angels changes anything at all besides some little textures. Some plays are with infinite power now thats a change, but not really much either if you think about it.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

DaveMcW wrote:0.15.0 is the mod maker's prerelease. If you like mods, you should wait for 0.15.1.
Precisely. Besides, there have already been helpful dev posts regarding new 0.15 API content, which has been helpful even before any playtesting can happen.

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

ftbreizhbugs wrote:I am quite disappointed that most people dont play the vanilla factorio: its hard to find a good Youtube let's play that doesnt use bob/angels mod...
Don't worry about that. There will be a ton of YouTube Vanilla 0.15 lets plays next week (present company included) :)

ftbreizhbugs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ftbreizhbugs »

Nilaus wrote:
Don't worry about that. There will be a ton of YouTube Vanilla 0.15 lets plays next week (present company included) :)
Hope so,
gonna watch your lets play ;)

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

npuldon wrote:Some guy: "Hey! Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the devs pre-released 0.15(at least as it is now, pre-launch) to the major mod makers (Angels, Bobs, Yuoki, AAI) so they can prep their updates ahead of time...

The Entire Factorio Player Base: "Yeah, you know, that would be great!"

-2 cents
That.

And to all the naysayers: you don't have to be opposing EVERYTHING the devs don't do. What he asked for is a reasonable and nice idea and there is absolutely NOTHING BAD for you if it would be done. Don't get why people oppose things which have no negative outcome for them whatsoever :?

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Since we seem to be looking at a Tuesday release, it's largely a moot point now, but every single "naysayer" in this thread offered a reason/perspective on why it wouldn't be practical or a preferred route. The major mods were never going to be ready for 15.0. I expect we'll be lucky to start getting them by 15.1 or 15.2. As I said above, I can recall posts suggesting the transition could take weeks or months for the big mods. I can't see a whole lot of value in expecting the mod makers to muck around with non-release builds, and why distract the developers at this point?

And despite the enthusiasm for this game, this forum is hardly filled with sycophants. There's an idea/suggestion subforum with nearly 5000 ideas, the majority of which represent alternate visions of this game from what the developers seem to be envisioning. There's already nitpicking on the latest FFF about the new release, and we haven't even got it yet! :)

Return to “General discussion”