[RANT] Problems with downloads

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
EViLNEViL
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[RANT] Problems with downloads

Post by EViLNEViL »

I know it is not only in hands of developers but I cannot help myself and have to say it out loud. I'm desperately trying to download the 0.10.0 update and I simply cannot. Nor through in game update neither using the webpage download. It actually refuses me to download any version. With 99% probability it is due to high demand of other users to download this superb game. And simply I have to wait to time when the traffic won't be so hard but I want the update now!!!!

Hopefully you'll find better provider of services for file download or you'll get into Steam library. This game is fantastic.

Cheers,

Tom.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [RANT] Problems with downloads

Post by hoho »

When I downloaded it to my two PCs it took about two minutes and I had no problems. When I tried downloading from the home page it was coming at around 5-15kB/s, clearly significantly slower.

You could try using some kind of download manager that is capable of resuming downloads on broken connection. The easiest (if you can handle command line) would be wget. It's not a fix to hosting problem but at least you can get to play the thing.

I wonder how hard would it be to build some kind of torrent-like program into the game and allow players to host updates to others (defaults to no sharing). I guess once they implement MP and if they plan on having some kind of central server lobby adding such a distribution system shouldn't be too hard.

EViLNEViL
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EViLNEViL »

I just managed to download the update. But I was gettind different strange messages, from webpage and from game. I should not have any connection errors on my side since I'm connected CESNET. It is just the traffic problem. Maybe related to some DDoS attacks I read about recently.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Download issues can be caused by multiple factors. We are using s3 which can be quite slow for some regions (download location is not replicated all over the world). Could also be an error on users end though. There is not much that can be done now. However soon we will be switching from s3 to either CDNSun(http://cdnsun.com/about) or Linode(http://www.linode.com). Both should have better performance (in terms of bandwidth) so that could solve the problem.

robhol
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by robhol »

You could always make it accessible via the web, most browsers are probably a bit better at handling interruptions etc. than home-cooked downloading programs.
窮屈そうに身を屈めても今じゃ誰もがそうしてる 天井の無いECHO ROOMに誰かが僕を放り込む
君のSPEEDでもって 同じPHRASEを弾いて 冷たい時に寄り添って

Return to “General discussion”