Challenge or not. You decide.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Challenge or not. You decide.

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

Here's a little something I whipped up to test my mettle against Factorio Experimental 0.10.0
Settings
Spawn
With Highlights
Download
I've been busy with other things since after I blundered my way through the campaign. Me being me, I wouldn't play anything but all out, and I thought; "Hey! Let's see how I stack up against anyone else with this situation." So here I am. Considering the immediate abundance of ores, getting started should be no problem. Lasting for any significant amount of time should be fun though.

A few rules I have set for myself:

--Cut down all trees.
--Mine all ores.
--Tap wells dry.

--Make individual bases for each link in the production chain; Smelting, Intermediate Products, Research, Weapons, Transportation.
Mods I may use for this, Once they update that is
TTFN!
Last edited by CreeperDaReeper on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Challenge or not. You decide.

Post by sillyfly »

Looks interesting.
On a side note - with map exchange strings introduced in 0.10 you could just paste it - would be much smaller than the saved game, and allow for the exact same map, seeing as you want to share the starting conditions and not an already started factory...

Edit: Tried to download your file and play it. Got this error:

Code: Select all

File Challenge.zip|info.json not found
Don't know if this is a bug, or if I'm missing some mod you have enabled in this save. If you do have mods - please tell us what they are so we can play it.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Ah, now I understand - it is a custom scenario, not a saved game. For that reason there is also no exchange string.
Is there a specific reason for doing this rather than a freeplay map?
Also - if you start without the default 8 iron 1 burner miner and 1 stone furnace you're going to have a very long beginning. Good luck trying to mine all the necessary iron to make a miner without a tool :)

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

sillyfly wrote:Ah, now I understand - it is a custom scenario, not a saved game. For that reason there is also no exchange string.
Is there a specific reason for doing this rather than a freeplay map?
Also - if you start without the default 8 iron 1 burner miner and 1 stone furnace you're going to have a very long beginning. Good luck trying to mine all the necessary iron to make a miner without a tool :)
This was made with the Map Editor so as to not waste time exploring them to find a suitable map.
As for why I didn't give the character anything. One; I'm not quite sure how to do that within the Map Editor, yet. Two; When I want to start from scratch, I mean from scratch.
If its a big enough issue, I'll edit the map to have an Iron Axe or two at the player's feet.

**EDIT** Hmm. Now I'm thinking there should be a reason said axes would be at your feet. Hmm.

**EDIT2** Added a single Iron Axe at the Player's feet. That's all you get folks.

sfrazer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfrazer »

In the map editor you can place the character's starting position by placing the character entity.

Once you've done that you can right-click them and put stuff into their equipment or inventory slots.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

sfrazer wrote:In the map editor you can place the character's starting position by placing the character entity.
Once you've done that you can right-click them and put stuff into their equipment or inventory slots.
I'm right-clicking the character element to death after I placed it, and nothing's popping up to allow me to edit the player's inventory.

sfrazer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sfrazer »

Hrm. Do you still have something selected for placement?

Like if I place a chest, then try to right-click it doesn't work, but if I "drop" the chest (with "Q") I can right-click and it opens a contents window.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

sfrazer wrote:Hrm. Do you still have something selected for placement?

Like if I place a chest, then try to right-click it doesn't work, but if I "drop" the chest (with "Q") I can right-click and it opens a contents window.
Now that I didn't know. I think there's a guy in the Map Editor section with the same issue. Might wanna go mention that to him. Thanks.

Return to “General discussion”