Be less 'steampunk', more 'techno'

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Be less 'steampunk', more 'techno'

Post by Avezo »

This is random non-rational nor well-thought rant.

Actually there is no rant, just me whining there is so much 'dirty' 'steampunky' aspects in this game, yet so little 'end-game' 'clean' 'edgy' and whatnot devices/weapons/whatevers. Really wish there was more to this than just green modules.

Hope this gets taken as an actual vaulable feedback anyway.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Be less 'steampunk', more 'techno'

Post by Cordylus »

I strongly disagree with you.
One of the best parts of the Factorio is that original "dieselpunk" technology theme.

The "clean" and "edgy" machines would be worst graphical thing to implement there.

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

I think you have a point... Though maybe not "more" vs. "less", but just a logical flow from steampunky when dealing with steam, boilers etc and a gradual transition to more high tech and "clean" towards the end game.
Some of the big mods like Angel, Bob and Yuoki have a much cleaner look (probably also due to it being more work to make it look worn). This does seem to create a disconnect, but on the other hand it is clear to tell the "new" i.e. modded parts of the base from the old.

I always come back to my science setup during late came and laugh at the pathetic yellow inserters and grey assemblers. I'd love it if there were more worn, battered and "steampunky" than the green inserter and yellow assemblers.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Your spaceship has crashed and now you are alone on this unfamiliar alien planet. You are eager to build a rocket to escape or call for help ASAP. So you shouldn't care how the machine looks. You just need to make sure they work. ;)

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

If you can find an artist willing to do all the techno art, you can easily publish a mod that replaces all the sprites.

ribsngibs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ribsngibs »

sparr wrote:If you can find an artist willing to do all the techno art, you can easily publish a mod that replaces all the sprites.
Better yet, be the artist willing to do all the techno art.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

For me the steampunky nature is spot on.

I wonder how much time it would take to redraw all the sprites, just a random thought. Weeks? Months? I recall they were trying to get funding for OpenTTD (through patreon to pay for a graphic artist) SO they could get higher quaslity sprites, Though I believe it never happened.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

That depends on the quality of sprites that you want. I actually loved the "low art" iconic sprites of Factorio around v0.6, when inserter bases were solid grey rectangles. If you want stuff like that, a decent pixel artist could probably crank out a complete replacement set of sprites in under a hundred hours.

If you want stuff the quality of Factorio 0.12, you're going to need on the order of a thousand hours.

If you want stuff at the quality of the latest high res screenshots from the devs... Thousands of hours, and 3d modeling not just sprite artists.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Pretty sure it's not that extreme. Something similar to the current models, maybe an hour to come up with a sketch, a couple of hours to flesh it out, a few more hours to add some little animations to it. Inserters or trains would require more time if you're willing to try to replace them.

It depends the level you're willing to go to. Going for the futuristic, curvy white minimalist design, someone could beat out everything in a day easily. If you want visible laser cutters and such, yeah you could probably run into thousands of hours pretty easily.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Going for the futuristic, curvy white minimalist design, someone could beat out everything in a day easily.
Like this? y.petremann's FactoCAD :lol:

Return to “General discussion”