What do you do with your wood?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dasani
Inserter
Inserter

What do you do with your wood?

Post by Dasani »

Just idle curiosity really.

After medium electric poles become a thing, I stop making the little ones and at that point wood becomes kind of useless.

Earlier in the game I sometimes make wooden chests, throw it all inside, then shoot the chests until they explode to sort of "delete" all that wood because when you clear cut forests you get way too much of it. Map i'm on right now I have over 200,000 wood in storage chests as my robots were clear cutting to expand the factory.

However, after I get the little robots which handle a lot of the tedious little tasks I don't like dealing with (thank god for autotrash and player logistic slots), i've started finding uses for wood. I have a system setup right now so that when I have wood in storage, it starts feeding it to my trains to use as fuel and despite my 1080 electric furnaces, I kept about 20 steel furnaces being fed wood to operate. It takes a long time to burn through hundreds of thousands of wood but I just kind of "feel better" about having it be used for something instead of being wasted.

So i'm just curious if anyone does anything else with their wood or puts it to use some other way?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What do you do with your wood?

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Until I have silly amounts of solar panels, I feed it, along with coal, to my 100-200 steam engines. It works great.

I use it for trains as well, and cars, and tanks. Pretty much priority burning material until I run out.
I don't think vanilla train tracks use wood, so that doesn't count.

Past that, well, wood isn't so useful, so I do my best to not cut down trees because pollution.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

run trains with it (2 slots of wood, 1 slot of coal for backup), excess goes to boilers.
wish rails required wood. :P

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

I just keep using the small electric poles, as with the over-supply of wood, they are essentially free, unlike the medium ones that cost 2 steel.

And the medium poles don't really help in coverage in most my building situations.

(But now I'm playing with bobs mods, and my robots are clearing whole forests to keep my factory running)

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

Daid wrote:I just keep using the small electric poles, as with the over-supply of wood, they are essentially free, unlike the medium ones that cost 2 steel.

And the medium poles don't really help in coverage in most my building situations.

(But now I'm playing with bobs mods, and my robots are clearing whole forests to keep my factory running)
Bob's mods comes with a treefarm, just in case you didn't know.

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

Fuel for boiler, car, tanks and trains. And you build the shotgun from it.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Dasani wrote:What do you do with your wood?
To be honest I only clicked on this thread to check for spam, because we had some "male enlargement" spam in the last weeks ;).

On a serious note, I'm mainly using my wood to fuel trains, using requester chests. If I have too much wood then it goes into boilers.
But my current playthrough is bobs+angels+marathon, so I already don't have enough wood as it is.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

daniel34 wrote:
Dasani wrote:What do you do with your wood?
To be honest I only clicked on this thread to check for spam, because we had some "male enlargement" spam in the last weeks ;).
That made me see the title totally different and then I had to laugh. :D

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I burn it in my boilers.

There is not really any use for Wood in Vanilla except burning it.

If there would be a way to make charcoal out of wood then at least the stuff would have some further use later on.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

With Wood to (Char)coal and Bergius Process, wood became a great oil source. :D
Somehow I doubt that was intended.

Joke aside, wood is pretty useless without mods. I try to run trains and backup power boilers with it but it still piles up.
Having a resource becoming so useless never is a good thing. Perhaps railway ties should require wood so there's something beside wood poles to do with it.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I have made a mod which uses wood for rails. However, I have much excess in spite of that and I use them as fuel. I put a request chest, ask 1000 wood and have inserter to feed it to fuel line of furnaces or steam engines, if there are more than 3000 wood in logistic system (it is enough for kilometers of rail). I have active provide chests near ports of my base and work train station and bots sort trashs to storage, void chests or fuel. Sometimes I make last wagon of work train as a trash wagon which is emptied to active provider automatically.

If I play with Bob's mods I use wood for lowest tier circuit boards at beginning and mid game and for gem polishing wheels at late game.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Optera wrote:With Wood to (Char)coal and Bergius Process, wood became a great oil source. :D
Well I would almost say that both mods are must have mods because later on even coal begins to pile up if you don't use Steam Engines. I'm already using Bergius process, but I consider also looking into the wood-to-coal mod now.
Optera wrote:Joke aside, wood is pretty useless without mods. I try to run trains and backup power boilers with it but it still piles up.
Having a resource becoming so useless never is a good thing. Perhaps railway ties should require wood so there's something beside wood poles to do with it.
Railway ties would be an interesting idea but what if you start in the desert with almost no trees whatsoever? Would make getting into rail networks a lot harder for these people.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

MeduSalem wrote:
Optera wrote:With Wood to (Char)coal and Bergius Process, wood became a great oil source. :D
Well I would almost say that both mods are must have mods because later on even coal begins to pile up if you don't use Steam Engines. I'm already using Bergius process, but I consider also looking into the wood-to-coal mod now.
Optera wrote:Joke aside, wood is pretty useless without mods. I try to run trains and backup power boilers with it but it still piles up.
Railway ties would be an interesting idea but what if you start in the desert with almost no trees whatsoever? Would make getting into rail networks a lot harder for these people.
Also wood is not automatable in vanilla so it will be a full stop on expansion.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

MeduSalem wrote: Railway ties would be an interesting idea but what if you start in the desert with almost no trees whatsoever? Would make getting into rail networks a lot harder for these people.
The obvious answer would be to use concrete ties as alternative ingredient.
With the current biome sizes the next dense forest shouldn't bee to far away though. I wish we had a biome size setting to get really huge deserts.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Optera wrote:The obvious answer would be to use concrete ties as alternative ingredient.
With the current biome sizes the next dense forest shouldn't bee to far away though. I wish we had a biome size setting to get really huge deserts.
Well then.

When it comes to biomes I actually think that they require a lot of additional work anyways. It's like every game nowadays is trying to have some sort of biomes in their game world but most of them forget about giving a good gameplay aspect to them and Factorio is no different on that part. Biomes in Factorio don't matter at all... they are purely cosmetic, which is really a missed opportunity. There should be some strategical stuff to consider about them (Seasonal/Weather Effects, Biter population density/reproduction rate, certain resources being more common in certain biomes etc). But that's offtopic now and I'm sure that it has been discussed in the Ideas & Suggestion board anyways.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

MeduSalem wrote:Railway ties would be an interesting idea but what if you start in the desert with almost no trees whatsoever? Would make getting into rail networks a lot harder for these people.
Biomes are so small that it is easy to get wood outside with car or tank. There is also some wood in deserts. I use 7 wood (3.5 raw wood) in 5 rails and have never had any problems even in railworlds with separate factorys and 0.5-1 km rails between them. I have to cut more woods under the rail lines than is consumed and have tens of thousand of surplus after building 10 km of track.

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

MeduSalem wrote:
Optera wrote:The obvious answer would be to use concrete ties as alternative ingredient.
Well then.

When it comes to biomes I actually think that they require a lot of additional work anyways. It's like every game nowadays is trying to have some sort of biomes in their game world but most of them forget about giving a good gameplay aspect to them and Factorio is no different on that part. Biomes in Factorio don't matter at all... they are purely cosmetic, which is really a missed opportunity. There should be some strategical stuff to consider about them (Seasonal/Weather Effects, Biter population density/reproduction rate, certain resources being more common in certain biomes etc). But that's offtopic now and I'm sure that it has been discussed in the Ideas & Suggestion board anyways.
Deserts don't absorb pollution very well, while dense forests absorb pollution very well. They're not 100% cosmetic. :P

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

fractalman wrote:Deserts don't absorb pollution very well, while dense forests absorb pollution very well. They're not 100% cosmetic. :P
Okay the pollution is a factor if you actually care about that, you are right.

But I don't really care about how much pollution I'm producing... On the contrary I actually think the bigger the pollution cloud the better, because I find it quite boring if there is almost no biter attacks. Regular Biter attacks give me at least the feeling of not being completely alone on the map and that there is some resistance of the game against what I'm doing.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

MeduSalem wrote:But I don't really care about how much pollution I'm producing... On the contrary I actually think the bigger the pollution cloud the better, because I find it quite boring if there is almost no biter attacks. Regular Biter attacks give me at least the feeling of not being completely alone on the map and that there is some resistance of the game against what I'm doing.
Feeling alone? Produce pollution to invite some "friends" to play with your turrets. :D
In current endgame I don't even notice biter attacks against my great walls anymore.

I'm mostly annoyed when my whole map is so red i cant see anything. If i could show inventory without showing pollution I wouldn't care for pollution one bit either.
Currently i plant air filters every 2nd chunk. They give me something to burn more (char)coal in and keep my map free of red fog of war.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Optera wrote:Feeling alone? Produce pollution to invite some "friends" to play with your turrets. :D
Yeah... well... I'm kind of the "Forever Alone" stereotype... so this seems about right. :D
Optera wrote:I'm mostly annoyed when my whole map is so red i cant see anything. If i could show inventory without showing pollution I wouldn't care for pollution one bit either.
Currently i plant air filters every 2nd chunk. They give me something to burn more (char)coal in and keep my map free of red fog of war.
To show the intentory and to show the pollution on the map should really be two seperate buttons... I'm annoyed by the current behaviour as well.

Return to “General discussion”