Wood

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
zbeeblebrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Wood

Post by zbeeblebrox »

Something I just noticed randomly, that I never really paid any attention to before, is that processed wood already looks like wood flooring.
So that's what it should be! Placeable wood paths, just like stone bricks serve a double purpose as placeable path and (extremely limited) crafting ingredient.

It'd be a nice aesthetic use of all this raw wood that piles up as the game progresses. Plus it'd be a helpful early game way to plot out your base.

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Wood

Post by Grimakar »

That is quiet a good idea. At the moment I am doing this, with wood.
Thinking about it, there come more ideas: Wood walls, if you have lack of stone. bridges, boats, platforms that could increase your shooting range and/or save you from melee attacks until the platform is destroyed...

zbeeblebrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zbeeblebrox »

Yeah, I'm surprised landfilling was implemented into the game before bridge paths. I expected that to be the more obvious, techy solution.
Of course...I'm surprised no new paths have been added in general, but maybe they're waiting till after the graphics upgrade to deal with that?

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

[quote="Grimakar"]That is quiet a good idea. At the moment I am doing this, with wood.
Suprisingly good idea on what to do with useless wood. Why didn't that come to my mind on my own ...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I don't use steam power so my wood is powering trains ^^

Well, actually I'm playing Bob's Mods right now so I have something of a shortage of wood =s
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I don't use steam power so my wood is powering trains ^^

Well, actually I'm playing Bob's Mods right now so I have something of a shortage of wood =s
It depends on the maps. There is one map with too much coal, so I use no solar but only steam engines, I even refuse to use electric furnaces, because I want to burn all the coal. Another map has a lack of coal, so... I guess you get the idea :D

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Grimakar wrote:
Deadly-Bagel wrote:I don't use steam power so my wood is powering trains ^^

It depends on the maps. There is one map with too much coal, so I use no solar but only steam engines, I even refuse to use electric furnaces, because I want to burn all the coal. Another map has a lack of coal, so... I guess you get the idea :D
If 100% of your power comes from Steam, then Electric furnaces actually use twice as much Coal as Steel furnaces because Boilers are 50% efficient in converting Fuel energy into electric energy. The main benefit to Electric furnaces is that they have two module slots allowing you to exploit module effects on furnace recipes.

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

Frightning wrote:If 100% of your power comes from Steam, then Electric furnaces actually use twice as much Coal as Steel furnaces because Boilers are 50% efficient in converting Fuel energy into electric energy. The main benefit to Electric furnaces is that they have two module slots allowing you to exploit module effects on furnace recipes.
Somehow I didn't think about that at all. I feel so dumb now :D
Thank you a lot for that hint. I will take a closer look at that, but I guess my "coal" base needs a redesign.
I am looking forward to building a giant steam engine/boiler plantation.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

I do that, and have auto-trash for wood turned on.

I also have the chest be a requester chest which also pulls in anything else flammable, too, e.g. wooden boxes etc. at the start.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Bio-Industries adds Wooden walls, and lets you place refined wood as flooring.

It also adds a bunch of other stuff however, which is somewhat inconvinent.
There are stand alone mods for these, or at least were, but they might be outdated and require updating.

Still, I think that should be part of the main game.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Matthias_Wlkp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Matthias_Wlkp »

I second this.

At the beginning of the game, you don't have anything to organize your base neatly with paths and and walls and you have to wait for stone stuff, which will take some time to research, while you carry tons of wood.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

My wood, wooden poles, crates, all go onto the coal belt thats going to trains and steam boilers.

Return to “General discussion”