Factorio you jerk

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ghoam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio you jerk

Post by Ghoam »

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

Yeah that's me. Spawned...right in the middle there c:
That is amazing

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio you jerk

Post by muzzy »

It's interesting how often this actually happens. I mean, it's almost like it's more than one in a thousand chance or something. Which means, with 25k customers... plenty of people are going to have bad time :)

PS. There's actually a more nasty variant of this, and it's the large island one. After two hours of playing you realize you're on an island and can't expand anywhere, forcing you to restart.

chainedlupine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chainedlupine »

I don't know how hardcore it is, but I find I have to re-roll a world at times in order to get a starting location that just isn't insane.

My current game, I had everything near me BUT coal. But that wasn't too bad a deal, as I found some to the south. I wasted more metal than I had wanted on running a lengthy transport belt, but I was able to manage until getting trains bootstrapped.

I've never considered the stuck-on-island scenerio, though. :(

Ric
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ric »

lol! thats brilliant.

Although at least you know you're screwed at spawn.

I spent a few hours in a new world building up all my resources to make a nice big expansion. Only realizing sometime later & after some extensive exploring that I was on a huge Island, all alone with no way to get to the shore. What a waste of time, lol...
"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, it's half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be"

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Actually it is not so surprising that this happens often. The player is spawned at the closest fitting location to the spawning coordinates (0, 0). So if the spawning coordinates are in the water he can be spawned to a tiny island nearby.

Devilhar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Devilhar »

Factorio.jpg
Factorio.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
I spy with my little eye something blue.

SMOKEYBRUCE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SMOKEYBRUCE »

Maybe rather than fixing this, perhaps allowing the character to swim would be good. Then the fishes could get some teeth like the biters, and add crafting for speed boats or sea transport in the future. It would also add the possibility for offshore gas.

ataaron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ataaron »

Post by SMOKEYBRUCE » Sun May 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Maybe rather than fixing this, perhaps allowing the character to swim would be good. Then the fishes could get some teeth like the biters, and add crafting for speed boats or sea transport in the future. It would also add the possibility for offshore gas.
I totally agree, everything we can do with water right now is pump it, water "tiles" are currently like a complete placeholder feature. because if we just need it to run steam engines, for some oil stuff and it must be infinite then why not get rid of it entirely and just pump it out of the ground ? In its current form its pretty obsolete and not used for gameplay really.

But back to topic: I would say we should be able to build or dig out bridge "tiles" that you cant remove after placing them (because you could otherwise exploit it against biters). It would be the most simple solution compared to changing the world gen or adding an entirely new branch of features like boats/ships and off shore buildings.

but bridges would do for now and maybe we could get some interesting water based gameplay in the faaar future :)

Return to “General discussion”