Creating eternal ore patches (mod / lua commands)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Creating eternal ore patches (mod / lua commands)

Post by vanatteveldt »

I like a lot of things about factorio, but what I really hate is dismantling ore outposts and building new ones. I would much prefer mines to have a steady yield and expansion driven by increasing demand rather than by dwindling supply.

So here's what I do:
1) I use angels infinite ores (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arch666A ... finiteores). This introduces oil-like behaviour to ore patches, but in the default settings a depleted field is still mostly useless, so you either need to tweak the config or increase the size/yield of patches manually (step 2)

2) I use lua to remove ore and add a larger and deeper patch of infinite ore:
removing ores
creating ores

You can adjust n (radius), ore, and m (depth) as desired.

Note that I don't claim originality here, both scripts are adapted from scripts I found on the Internet. Also, lua is not my first language so it's quite possible I'm doing something silly in there, but the code seems to work ok :)

3) And finally, if you use the same radius as I, this is a blueprint for plopping down 118 mines outputting into 4 red belts:
mines blueprint
screenshot

What I do is use RSO, and replace generated patches by large infinite patches. This still forces me to explore and claim territory, but without the frustrating chore of constantly tearing up and building rail+station+mines.

(Is this cheating? What does that even mean in a sandbox game ;-))

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Creating eternal ore patches (mod / lua commands)

Post by orzelek »

You my dear sir reinveted the wheel :D

In RSO config.lua file go to end and you'll find what you need to make all ores infinite.
You won't get them nicely shaped tho - they will retain the shape as generated.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Heh, I was looking in the angels config file, and couldn't really find what I wanted...
Anyway, that probably won't help me in my current game as I explored quite large amount of terrain already (and too much time invested in that game :))

I'll have a look at the config next time, also need to check the yield settings in angels ores as the patches inside the current RSO patches don't even output a yellow belt in my experience, for an outpost to be meaningful I think it should at least be near 2 red belts, i.e. around 50 ore/s.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

vanatteveldt wrote:Heh, I was looking in the angels config file, and couldn't really find what I wanted...
Anyway, that probably won't help me in my current game as I explored quite large amount of terrain already (and too much time invested in that game :))

I'll have a look at the config next time, also need to check the yield settings in angels ores as the patches inside the current RSO patches don't even output a yellow belt in my experience, for an outpost to be meaningful I think it should at least be near 2 red belts, i.e. around 50 ore/s.

Put higher mark miners on the infinite patches and watch what happens :P

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

A, I only use your ore mod, are there better mines in your other mods?

I tried putting speed modules in normal mines, which works quite well with pumpjacks, but the amount of modules needed is quite astonishing...

Return to “General discussion”