100+ hours in, looking for ways to spice up the game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
bamjo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

100+ hours in, looking for ways to spice up the game

Post by bamjo »

I am looking for ways to set up a more interesting/challenging sandbox game. I typically really enjoy the beginning/middle of the game, where you get everything set up and running. When I hit the part where I have an excess of resources, all my factories are running full time, and it starts to be about waiting for modules/processors to be produced the game starts to get a little boring. I may be doing something wrong. Is there something I can do/build to make the endgame more interesting? Even fighting gets old after a while, and I have more alien artifacts than I know what to do with.

I've played around with map generation settings, but haven't found a combination that yields a satisfying result. I don't know if there is a way of making the aliens more aggressive or if that would be more fun or less? The settings just seem to make bases bigger, not more aggressive.

What map settings do you guys use for a harder game?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 100+ hours in, looking for ways to spice up the game

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bamjo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bamjo »

Derp. That's what I get for not reading the faq.

Edit: Since this seems to be a common question, I'll link the discussion https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=2825

It is a good conversation with some interesting ideas.

LSky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LSky »

bamjo wrote:Derp. That's what I get for not reading the faq.

Edit: Since this seems to be a common question, I'll link the discussion https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=2825

It is a good conversation with some interesting ideas.
None of threads linked here have any sort of solution though. This game is a bit lacking in long term goals, though this is a genre wide problem. I'd say introducing different kinds of natives might make lengthen things a bit in the short run. Perhaps instead of biters, there could be NPCs that steal things off unguarded transport belts? That would also make trains be a more valuable asset to have.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, but the long term goal is - as it can be read - to colonize the planet with about 1 million settlers. So the current opinion of many forum members! (Not the devs! This is no official statement, but for the rockets it is more or less clear, that it follows that direction)

We need rockets, food, housing and so much other stuff... Let's surprise, what follows, the plan is to have that end of next year. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”