Biting off Too many Biters

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
dj_lefull
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Biting off Too many Biters

Post by dj_lefull »

I had Finally managed to get myself Power Armor, i go and destroy all the bases around me, however they have grown to HUGE sizes and are spewing Biters out left right and Center.. sometimes even up!

i get my shotgun and charge in destroying as many bases as i can before i need to kite them... didn't take long for this to happen Image

The amount of enemies makes me run out of Ammo and needing to make it on the fly as well as Capsules, this fight too a long time. I Noticed some with this amount of enemies however, their AI pathing would just.. Stop, they would just sit there not knowing what to do... like half the the Biters in this picture (all of them were Agro) Image

I would love to get the Tanks though, trying to take all of these biters takes way too long with Fully upgrade Shotgun + Piercing rounds..

Loving the Game though, this map alone i have 30+ Hours under my toolbelt :mrgreen: :D
Starting a Factorio Series called "My Experiences Shared", where share what i've learned about the game, Requests are open.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 1YtCf0DXmh

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Biting off Too many Biters

Post by Zourin »

Looks like you are well past the point where you are going to be able to rambo anything. The only way to cope with those tidal swarms are laser-based drones.

Unless you have done a LOT of research to boost your drone control ability (Destroyers), you may want to rely much more heavily on Distractor drones, which are also laser based and have an unlimited deployment cap (although are highly destructible). Some numbers can only be fought with numbers, not finesse.

Defender drones are virtually worthless bullet-based drones, so avoid those except very early on (just like gun turrets), you may also want to look into poison capsules, since the damage they deal would excel against dense swarms (although it may take quite a few to kill even one large biter. It helps to still have combat drones to whittle down the herd)

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

One strategy I usually use is to build a lot of lasers just outside of agro range, agro the biters myself, rambo style like you did, and then make them follow me to the towers, where I basically run around in circles while the towers kill the masses.

The best part about that strategy is that you can use it as early as when you unlock the car, that it only requires power (lasers), and that it works no matter the biter size you are facing.
It is also good in that it doesn't require wall creeping, and can easily be scaled and adapted when you are teching up yourself.

dj_lefull
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dj_lefull »

Nice Strategies, i run in Circles picking them off with my Discharge Defense and fully upgraded Shotgun. I have Power Armor MK2 with two Portable Fusion, two exo's, 5 shields, Discharge, a few batteries and nightvision. it takes a little while but it allows me to wipe them all out. The first Picture you can See Destroyer Drones Currently in Production :)

As for the Car and Turrets i don't tend to do that, i use Turrets more than lasers and i never even use a car XD
Starting a Factorio Series called "My Experiences Shared", where share what i've learned about the game, Requests are open.

Deviator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Deviator »

I like to setup a large mine field and make sure I stay far enough ahead while they chase me through it. Why do something clean when you can do it messy and have lots more fun?

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

Deviator wrote:I like to setup a large mine field and make sure I stay far enough ahead while they chase me through it. Why do something clean when you can do it messy and have lots more fun?
This would be entirely feasible, if construction drones replaced the mines.. I wonder.

Kupferdrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kupferdrache »

my current game sees not to be as far as I get such mass biter hordes, which biter setting are used in that game, and how long is that game going on that screenshot already?

Deviator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Deviator »

Zourin wrote:
Deviator wrote:I like to setup a large mine field and make sure I stay far enough ahead while they chase me through it. Why do something clean when you can do it messy and have lots more fun?
This would be entirely feasible, if construction drones replaced the mines.. I wonder.
I do a little planning first, get my angle of attack and lay down a ton of mines beforehand. No real way to do it on the fly so you definitely have to plan ahead. What sucks is picking the untouched mines up afterwards if you laid down too many. You also want the aliens bunched together tightly as the explosions seem to affect an area not just a single target. Each one that goes off compounds the damage.

dj_lefull
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dj_lefull »

Kupferdrache wrote:my current game sees not to be as far as I get such mass biter hordes, which biter setting are used in that game, and how long is that game going on that screenshot already?
My Settings for the Biters were Normal, no changes to them, the amount of time that had passed was a little over 30 hours.

Return to “General discussion”