Some questions

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
mohreb
Inserter
Inserter

Some questions

Post by mohreb »

Hi everybody,
i just got into the game thanks to a youtube let's try, and i really enjoy it.
however some questions rose, and as i haven't found answers on the wiki or here i would like to ask them (sorry if they are already answered):
> so if i build a drone network, and would like to maintain my facilities and ship goods i need to make sure buildings are covered with the green area of the port and the yellow areas should touch each-other, they do not need to be in the yellow area of each-other?
> can i only insert drones in one port, and they will dispatch? can i use logic chest to keep a ratio of construct/logistic drones?
> what is the difference between active and passive provider chests? (have made a passive but it still delivered to a requester chest)
> if i have a separate (not touching) drone network they will not try to travel between?
> what is an adequate defense look like? ( i read 3 lines of walls and a line of laser beneath but first seems like an over kill)
> what ratio you need between solar panels/batteries to keep the juice up day and night? (safely, supposedly that i make laser defenses, and some light for the night)
> if i checked peaceful mode in the generation of the game (first game wanted to try the organizing part first), does it means until i attack first the aliens do not attack me, so when i start to kill one nest they will come after my base as normal? or do i need to restart in more aggressive setting to have a meaning for making defenses?
thanks in advance for all replies.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Some questions

Post by kovarex »

mohreb wrote:Hi everybody,
Hello
mohreb wrote: > so if i build a drone network, and would like to maintain my facilities and ship goods i need to make sure buildings are covered with the green area of the port and the yellow areas should touch each-other, they do not need to be in the yellow area of each-other?
The yellow is for supply, the green (the bigger one) is for repairs and building, so for transport, you need all covered by yellow.
mohreb wrote: > can i only insert drones in one port, and they will dispatch?
Yes.
mohreb wrote: Can i use logic chest to keep a ratio of construct/logistic drones?
Not currently.
mohreb wrote: what is the difference between active and passive provider chests? (have made a passive but it still delivered to a requester chest)
We should make a diagram and show it to wiki.
Active provider -> requester.
Passive provider -> requester.
Storage -> requester.
Active provider -> storage.

SO the difference between passive and active provider is, that the active provider is all emptied to storage chests if present, while passive provider needs some request of the item to be emptied.
mohreb wrote: if i have a separate (not touching) drone network they will not try to travel between?
They will be separated, so no, they will not travel in between.
mohreb wrote: What is an adequate defense look like? ( i read 3 lines of walls and a line of laser beneath but first seems like an over kill)
There is no simple answer (and that is a good thing I believe), in the very start, you need nothing, later just few basic turrets are enough, than few basic turrets with some wall is enough, than you need laser turrets, more laser turrets with double wall etc. etc.

It depends mainly the evolution level of enemies and the pollution amount and distance from the enemy.
mohreb wrote: > what ratio you need between solar panels/batteries to keep the juice up day and night? (safely, supposedly that i make laser defenses, and some light for the night)
I don't know, I usually play it and when I don't have enough energy in accumulators at the end of the night, I add. But it can be calculated, there are threads when people calculated it based on the lenght of night, solar output and accumulator capacity.
mohreb wrote: > if i checked peaceful mode in the generation of the game (first game wanted to try the organizing part first), does it means until i attack first the aliens do not attack me, so when i start to kill one nest they will come after my base as normal? or do i need to restart in more aggressive setting to have a meaning for making defenses?
thanks in advance for all replies.
No, they attack you only locally, so when you start firing at their nest, they will go get you, but when you get away, they will stay passive.

mohreb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mohreb »

Thanks for the replies!
and on that particular question:
kovarex wrote:
mohreb wrote: Can i use logic chest to keep a ratio of construct/logistic drones?
Not currently.
the wiki only says:
Do not mix up LogNet and Circuit network.
does it means that smart inserters shouldn't be conditioned (with green and red whires) while in a logistic network ? what happens if you do condition them?
by the way what happens if you condition an inserter with red and green at the same time (is it an OR or is it an AND ?)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is just for people, to not mix the two terms, you can combine them as you wish.

mohreb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mohreb »

and will they act as a logical OR or as a logical AND? if more conditions are added?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

All the three possible conditions (red/green/logistics) work as AND.

Return to “General discussion”