Are there other functional smart furnace setups?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Are there other functional smart furnace setups?

Post by Zonk »

As iam improving my base i want to make some smart setup like this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28603 or this https://imgur.com/a/aulH2#hua9Uhy

However the first doesnt make Steel and the 2nd needs to adjust every smelter numbers. Actually i think i would stick with the 2nd but since i want it to replace my 837 smelter with it i would aim for 1000 and there i will need to adust numbers on 2000 combinatos (0-999 two times...).

Before i type numbers in 2000 combinatos i want to know if there is another possible smart furnancesetup which can smelt iron copper and steel and maybe saves me the pain of this many typing? It doest have to run on robots only and iam open to new ideas :D

Energy isnt a issue i prepared 20k+ and only use half of it if all my bots are and factories are running.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Are there other functional smart furnace setups?

Post by MeduSalem »

Well there used to be several other setups...

Here are some threads about it:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25615
viewtopic.php?p=87687#p87687
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17378
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9292
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

But the setups are all pretty much worthless with 0.13 because of how it is almost impossible to get the changed Inserter Stacksizes under control... like has been discussed in detail over this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28965

So either you never fully upgrade all the stacksizes from the inserters or you have to try dealing with ugly circuit network/combinator contraptions where there is no guarantee that it will work reliable. (And all the solutions presented to date to solve the problem using the circuit network only work within a certain scope, like only when belt is fully compressed or when it is not fully compressed or when it's never completely empty or when there are no other item types on the belt and so on, basically meaning there is no general solution available.)

If you want to use bots then not fully upgrading the stacksize bonus of stack inserters is the only way to deal with the problem. When using belts you may also try other tricks like measuring belt contents and so on but I find these kind of setups to be too much of fiddling around and still no guaranteed reliability.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

My solution was to write a tiny mod for myself adding one more tech level setting stacks for inserters to 5 and stack inserters to 15.
vanilla smart furnace is unfeasible with 0.13.
Let's hope one day filter inserters will use signals for stack size instead of simple on/off.

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

Is the Problem because the inserter into furnance have some leftovers and fill it with 1-4 Iron which cant make steel?
Or is the Goal to just fill the chest with 5 Items?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Yes, the problem is the 1-4 Iron Plates that may be left in the furnace, blocking the recipe switch.

With the 0.13 circuit network possibilities there is currently no useful way to circumvent that (people tried to find solutions like in the linked thread above but there are no practical ones to date). And as I mentioned... the only way that works for sure is not fully upgrading the inserter stack sizes.

That or using a mod that adjusts the stack sizes like Optera wrote.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

MeduSalem wrote:Yes, the problem is the 1-4 Iron Plates that may be left in the furnace, blocking the recipe switch.

With the 0.13 circuit network possibilities there is currently no useful way to circumvent that (people tried to find solutions like in the linked thread above but there are no practical ones to date). And as I mentioned... the only way that works for sure is not fully upgrading the inserter stack sizes.

Now you've managed to get my attention to this problem...

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

XKnight wrote:
MeduSalem wrote:Yes, the problem is the 1-4 Iron Plates that may be left in the furnace, blocking the recipe switch.

Now you've managed to get my attention to this problem...
Hehehe.

Let's start here: there is a brute force solution. If we isolate a stack and split it into a number of lanes greater than a stack, we can overcome the fundamental problem but it will be hideous.

I suspect -- specifically, I am pretty sure I read in the patch notes or some other official context -- that the devs gave us a much more elegant solution in 0.13, but I haven't tested my hypothesis/recollection yet. Hint: in 0.12, excess items could be bled onto a belt by a smart-inserter, as it would be unaffected by stack-size bonuses and could be disabled by a combinator.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well it's not like it is impossible... I managed to get one to work reliable myself a while ago, with inserters inputting from a belt to a buffer chest and if for some reason there weren't the exact amount of items in the buffer chest (there are always some quirks with getting the right amount of items into the buffer chest even with perfect counting due to weird/unexpected/unexplainable belt/inserter behaviour) the chest contents get trashed to an output buffer chest which then outputs back to the belt...

... but yeah I consider it completely ugly because it takes waaayyy too much space (compared to how easy such a setup in 0.12 used to be) and some combinator work and it totaly doesn't work with bots, which is also a huge issue for me.
Messy Test Setup

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Robot-based solution shouldn't be very complex:
4 furnaces will act as a single one, so they will recieve the same orders, and we assume that they are syncronized between themselfs.
Brains of each furnace block will be located far away from them in a separate controller.

Controller sends orders to all filtered inserters according to current priority (what item type is the most necessary) if resource count inside each furnace is zero.
Resource count should be tracked by controller for each furnace block, using knowledge about furnace production speed, amount of items inside, and current stack inserter capacity bonus. Also, controller should check that requester chest always have enough items inside :D

Any questions? :D

P.S. One tick signal is enough to give order to stack inserter (for chest-to-chest operation).
Belt-based solution looks much more interesting, at least because we cannot use any predefined knowledge, due to unknown output belt configuration/compression.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well yeah I have a question... how does your setup NOT leave arbitrary amounts of residuals inside the furnace with Iron Plates?

You can't request exactly 5 or 10 items to the Requester Chest. The bots won't give a damn and will try to deliver 4/8/12/16/20/... I realize that it might work with 20 as limit because it's a least common multiple (as would 40/60/80/100/etc which are alternatives if the distance is long), but you would have to use a series of balanced active provider/storage chests somewhere which are always topped off or otherwise the bots might grab less than 4 items which then eventually leads to the residual item problem since you will never be able to correct that mistake since it's absolutely unpredictible if you don't control the resource input to the smart furnace array.

The problem I'm having with that is that you are forced to use Passive Provider chests on the furnace output for that to work since they have lower priority than the Active Provider/Storage chests which would act as input to the furnace array... If you instead use active provider chests on the furnace output they would starting to interfere with the topped off active provider chests that gurantee the correct amount is being ready somewhere... since you wouldn't be able to specifically tell a robot not to pick up from the active provider of the furnace output right next to the requester chest of another furnace input... and there's it's not guranteed that it actually is greater or equal 4 Iron Plates. (The same problem would also occur if you'd use passive provider chests as both furnace output and as furnace array resource input. Bots would go for furnace outputs no matter if they contain less than 4 iron plates)

So again that leads to another problem... if there are active provider chests always topped off somewhere then the bots would never consider picking up the output contents of the passive provider chests from the furnace outputs EVER. So it's a vicious cycle that again doesn't work.

It should also be mentioned that if one is trying to control the robots... then you NEVER should enter the Logistic Network the Smart Furnace array is located in ever... especially not with Iron Plates in your logistic trash slot because the Logistic Robots will come and pick that stuff up and your item perfect count is ruined. Which is ultimately something I would forget about and then the damage is done.

The only way to make it work is using the inserter stacksize since you have even less control over the robots than you do over the stacksize. But since you can't explicitely tell an inserter to pick up 5 or 10 items from a chest (maybe from a belt, but not from a chest) you are out of luck... which results in the fact that you have to pass out on the last stages of Stack Size upgrades so that you even have remotely a chance to get some control over that. But if limiting the stacksize upgrades is your approach anyways... then I'm not having any issues with that at all because it's easy to pick up from there since it wouldn't require any different solution than 0.12 did.

That said I can't use the approach of not fully upgrading the stacksize bonus in my map anymore because I already fully upgraded the Stack Inserter Stacksize and I only noticed it's a problem after I already had overwritten every autosave where the stacksize wasn't fully upgraded yet. So that's why I stopped playing the game completely because that was when I said "f*** that s***" because I think that the Stack Size Change without a better way to override the StackSize bonus (like Optera mentioned earlier in this thread) is a dumb implementation. It ruined my savegame and I don't feel like starting over just because of a stupid change like that, which was completely unnecessary in the first place. :roll:

Also on a side note I'm always using active provider chests on the furnace/assembler output because I'm dropping the output directly into my storage facility... and I'd absolutely hate to be forced to fiddle around with Requester Chests on that part just because of using Passive Provider chests on furnace/assembler outputs.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

MeduSalem wrote:Well yeah I have a question... how does your setup NOT leave arbitrary amounts of residuals inside the furnace with Iron Plates?

You can't request exactly 5 or 10 items to the Requester Chest. The bots won't give a damn and will try to deliver 4/8/12/16/20/... I realize that it might work with 20 as limit because it's a least common multiple (as would 40/60/80/100/etc which are alternatives if the distance is long), but you would have to use a series of balanced active provider/storage chests somewhere which are always topped off or otherwise the bots might grab less than 4 items which then eventually leads to the residual item problem since you will never be able to correct that mistake since it's absolutely unpredictible if you don't control the resource input to the smart furnace array.

The problem I'm having with that is that you are forced to use Passive Provider chests on the furnace output for that to work since they have lower priority than the Active Provider/Storage chests which would act as input to the furnace array... If you instead use active provider chests on the furnace output they would starting to interfere with the topped off active provider chests that gurantee the correct amount is being ready somewhere... since you wouldn't be able to specifically tell a robot not to pick up from the active provider of the furnace output right next to the requester chest of another furnace input... and there's it's not guranteed that it actually is greater or equal 4 Iron Plates. (The same problem would also occur if you'd use passive provider chests as both furnace output and as furnace array resource input. Bots would go for furnace outputs no matter if they contain less than 4 iron plates)

So again that leads to another problem... if there are active provider chests always topped off somewhere then the bots would never consider picking up the output contents of the passive provider chests from the furnace outputs EVER. So it's a vicious cycle that again doesn't work.

The only way to make it work is using the inserter stacksize since you have even less control over the robots than you do over the stacksize. But since you can't explicitely tell an inserter to pick up 5 or 10 items from a chest (maybe from a belt, but not from a chest) you are out of luck... which results in the fact that you have to pass out on the last stages of Stack Size upgrades so that you even have remotely a chance to get some control over that. But if limiting the stacksize upgrades is your approach anyways... then I'm not having any issues with that at all because it's easy to pick up from there since it wouldn't require any different solution than 0.12 did.

Also on a side note I'm always using active provider chests on the furnace/assembler output because I'm dropping the output directly into my storage facility... and I'd absolutely hate to be forced to fiddle around with Requester Chests on that part just because of using Passive Provider chests on furnace/assembler outputs.
Yes, I made a few mistakes:
1) active provider chest should be used there
2) I didn't describe requester chest: it should have lets say 100 each ore/plate cap.
3) I didn't describe stack inserter:
Example:
-1 tick: furnace is empty and we are sure that requester chest has more than 100 iron plates without measuring its directly (how is that possible? it is very very simple, and I am sure you will find the answer by yourself)
0 tick: send order: IRON PLATE, inserters pick up lets say 11 iron plates (current capacity bonus)
Calculate in controller: 11 iron plates / 5 iron plate per recipe = 2 steels, 2 steels * 17.5 sec * 60 ticks / 2 crafting speed = 1050 ticks, remaining items - 1. This means this furnace will have work for 1050 ticks
1050 tick: because we know that this furnace has 1 remaining iron plate inside, we cannot send anything except iron plate: send order: IRON PLATE
2100 tick: remaining items - 2, send order: IRON PLATE
3150 tick: remaining items - 3, send order: IRON PLATE
4100 tick: remaining items - 4, send order: IRON PLATE, 11 new iron plates + 4 remaing iron plates = 3 steel = 1575 ticks, remaining items - 0.
5675 tick: remaining items - 0, select new item type for this furnace.

P.S. Timing may be shifted a bit, because I didn't take into account inserters rotations.
Also, as you can see this controller will be able to process hundreds furnace blocks at the same time.
And the last, the only thing you should afraid is stack inserter capacity bonus 5 and 10, because these capacity bonus will break this setup (this means furnaces won't be able to switch resource type, solution: clear them manually when these technologies are researched or disable the entire grid before the end of research).

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Now I get what you are trying to do... basically you don't give a damn that the stack size bonus doesn't match with the recipe requirement... you correct the issue over time by keeping track of how many residuals there are in... and letting the furnace work until the residual is removed by hitting a least common multiple again.

Well I would have to say that the approach sounds nice... but at this point I should also say that I'm using Production Modules inside furnaces and Speed Module Beacons... so probably the timing will be different (if it is still possible then because of how the stat changes might result in ugly floating point issues with half ticks and so on).

But somehow the thing is super annoying as well because you can't really use dynamic load balancing on the smart furnace array. You always have to wait for the least common multiple to be reached before you can order a recipe switch... which can take some time. Like the above eample... 5675 / 60 = 94.58 seconds before a recipe switch can be issued.

Also it's questionable what happens if one shuts down the entire smart furnace array using a Power Switch to reduce energy consumption. One would have to wait for the last furnace to complete its task... until that the beacons surrounding the furnaces that are finished will continue to consume power.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

MeduSalem wrote: Well I would have to say that the approach sounds nice... but at this point I should also say that I'm using Production Modules inside furnaces and Speed Module Beacons... so probably the timing will be different (if it is still possible then because of how the stat changes might result in ugly floating point issues with half ticks and so on).
Productivity modules will not break anything because they don't affect timings.
Speed modules - yes, but you can add 1 extra tick to be sure that everything is ok.
MeduSalem wrote: But somehow the thing is super annoying as well because you can't really use dynamic load balancing on the smart furnace array. You always have to wait for the least common multiple to be reached before you can order a recipe switch... which can take some time.
Yes, this build has 5 times lower reacting time than configurable inserters, but this can be solved using big furnace array, and by smart selecting new item type.
For example: if you have 10 iron plates and 1000 copper plates then you should order iron plates.
But when you have 1000 iron plates and 1001 copper plates you should order them almost evenly.

Hurray, this is my 250-th post on the forum.
MeduSalem wrote: Also it's questionable what happens if one shuts down the entire smart furnace array using a Power Switch to reduce energy consumption. One would have to wait for the last furnace to complete its task... until that the beacons surrounding the furnaces that are finished will continue to consume power.
If you detect a minimal lack of energy you should entirely ignore the tick. But in my opinion this is not a regular situation, it is more like exception.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

XKnight wrote:Productivity modules will not break anything because they don't affect timings.
Speed modules - yes, but you can add 1 extra tick to be sure that everything is ok.
Productivity Modules reduce the crafting Speed by -15% each.
XKnight wrote:Yes, this build has 5 times lower reacting time than configurable inserters, but this can be solved using big furnace array, and by smart selecting new item type.
For example: if you have 10 iron plates and 1000 copper plates then you should order iron plates.
But when you have 1000 iron plates and 1001 copper plates you should order them almost evenly.
Somehow that sounds like a lot of additional fiddling with edge cases...

Until I got annoyed by the stupid stacksize behaviour and stopped playing I tried using your Load balancer design from that one other thread a while ago (viewtopic.php?p=185070#p185070)... though I never finished my implementation of it because yeah... like I said I got bummed out of how fiddly 0.13 made everything instead of being straight forward.

I already consider asking Optera for the little stacksize bonus mod because of how I can't stand how f'd up Vanilla has become on that part... :P

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Unless you only allow steel crafting every 2nd furnace, your approach of crafting until it cleans itself may run into the problem of running out of iron plates before reaching the multiples needed to clear out the furnaces from steel crafting.
It did happen to my initial setup when my EC production started up and drained all iron plates.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Optera wrote:Unless you only allow steel crafting every 2nd furnace, your approach of crafting until it cleans itself may run into the problem of running out of iron plates before reaching the multiples needed to clear out the furnaces from steel crafting.
It did happen to my initial setup when my EC production started up and drained all iron plates.
Steel craftining is forbidden if you have less than 100 iron plates in every requester chest.
MeduSalem wrote:
XKnight wrote:Productivity modules will not break anything because they don't affect timings.
Productivity Modules reduce the crafting Speed by -15% each.
Yes, but this is predicatable, and I was talking about extra items - they don't require additional ticks.
XKnight wrote:
MeduSalem wrote: But somehow the thing is super annoying as well because you can't really use dynamic load balancing on the smart furnace array. You always have to wait for the least common multiple to be reached before you can order a recipe switch... which can take some time.
Yes, this build has 5 times lower reacting time than configurable inserters, but this can be solved using big furnace array, and by smart selecting new item type.
By the way, switching furnace to another item type is not free, because inserter with another item type will start rotation only if furnace is completely empty. As a result, furnace will be idle during this rotation, this means furnace efficiency will be only 105/(105+30) = 77% for iron/copper plates (105 ticks - production time, 30 ticks - rotation time). What do you think about this price? Is it worth it?
Last edited by XKnight on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

I was thinking about quite ugly solution (and the switch is slow) - using multiple requester chests (iron ore, iron plate, copper ore) that move materials to another chest from which they are inserted into the furnace. Allow inserter that work for iron plates to move only %5=0 items (need to calculate how much iron plates were put in the chest), that inserter (with iron plate) cant be switched before it moved enough items (yes that can be a lot of time before switch). With belts thats going to be much much harder, i cant actually think of such system.
Last edited by afk2minute on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

afk2minute wrote:With belts thats going to be much much harder, i cant actually think of such system.
Ha, belt-based solution is almost ready.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

XKnight wrote:By the way, switching furnace to another item type is not free, because inserter with another item type will start rotation only if furnace is completely empty. As a result, furnace will be idle during this rotation, this means furnace efficiency will be only 105/(105+30) = 77% for iron/copper plates (105 ticks - production time, 30 ticks - rotation time). What do you think about this price? Is it worth it?
So now it is a lot of initial fiddly number-crunching work with fine-tuning as the base, with sluggish reaction times as the icing of the cake and less efficient too as the cherry on top. What I think about that... "Pretty ugly"... I'd say, as someone who values honesty. I wouldn't want to have a slice of that cake if I had the choice. But that's just me being someone who favors easy and straight forward solutions over ones that are overly engineered/complex, because those tend to fail faster if the scope they work in isn't met for some unpredictable reason... backtracing the source of the error becomes horrendous.

Back when I started experimenting with Smart Furnaces about 2 years ago I basically did it because I wanted to eliminate idle furnaces... we have come a long way since then. With goals being easy-to-setup, compactness and high throughput with additions like Productivity Modules for extra items, space for Speed Beacons, being able to shut down power in low utilization scenarios and whatnot.

I mean yeah, the aproach above "works", which is really ingenious because it's against all odds and for that you should deserve a Factorio engineering medal (we really should have something like that on the forum)... that said the costs already outweigh the gain for practical applications in my opinion.

The bottom line of the experiment is: We really just should be able to set the Stack Size bonus using the number specified with the filter signal. Would cut down on the mess and we'd be back to how easy it used to be with 0.12.

afk2minute
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by afk2minute »

If you like "simple solutions" just dont make steel in smart furnaces, make steel on-site. its much easier, but i guess its not about easier but just to overengineer something and have fun ;)

Return to “General discussion”