Logistic robots - do they have a preferred home?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Logistic robots - do they have a preferred home?

Post by quadrox »

I am curious about how logistics robots (and to a lesser degree construction robots) work.

When you add new robots, you add them to a specific roboport. Is that roboport their "home" which they will return to after completing their tasks? Or will they just go to the nearest roboport?

Will logistic robots hand off items to another robot from another roboport and return home, and then the next robot will get the item to the next roboport and so on until the item is delivered? I know the answer right now is no, but wouldn't that make it easier to manage your robot fleet?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to have as much control over how many robots are present in different parts of the base, and I want to reduce the time/distance each individual robot travels. If my robots travel through the entire map to deliver items, they will (might) be missed at their home base?!

lpw
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Logistic robots - do they have a preferred home?

Post by lpw »

They don't have a home base and will just "return" to the closest roboport with capacity after finishing their task(s).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You can place robots also like capsules into the air. They fly to the next task or next roboport.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

ssilk wrote:You can place robots also like capsules into the air. They fly to the next task or next roboport.
Ah, I didn't know that, thanks :)

BillH
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BillH »

Take a look at Scarhoof's Botworld series for some examples of how to provide the control you're suggesting. He essentially creates multiple networks that deliver resources to each other via requester/provider chests (in later episodes he uses trains to increase throughput).

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

quadrox wrote:The reason I am asking is that I would like to have as much control over how many robots are present in different parts of the base, and I want to reduce the time/distance each individual robot travels. If my robots travel through the entire map to deliver items, they will (might) be missed at their home base?!
You don't need control. The robots can manage themselves. What you need is good base design where assembly machines can work continously without breaks, enough robots and enough and well placed roboports and a stable raw resource supply. If you design your base correctly so that robots can take the shortest route all the time, they will. You can split your network to control them, just letting you know that it isn't necessary since the robots will do this for you if your design isn't bad.

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

Qon wrote: You don't need control. The robots can manage themselves. What you need is good base design where assembly machines can work continously without breaks, enough robots and enough and well placed roboports and a stable raw resource supply. If you design your base correctly so that robots can take the shortest route all the time, they will. You can split your network to control them, just letting you know that it isn't necessary since the robots will do this for you if your design isn't bad.
I think your argument is flawed - just because something isn't strictly needed doesn't mean the game wouldn't be better with that thing. For example, the game could easily work without filter inserters but it would be more work for the player and factories would require more space for belt tricks.

That being said, I agree that this issue is of relatively low importance - I was mostly just curious about how things worked and if other players could

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Qon wrote: You don't need control. The robots can manage themselves. What you need is good base design where assembly machines can work continously without breaks, enough robots and enough and well placed roboports and a stable raw resource supply. If you design your base correctly so that robots can take the shortest route all the time, they will. You can split your network to control them, just letting you know that it isn't necessary since the robots will do this for you if your design isn't bad.
This has already been discussed. There are currently two basic ideas:
1. By using inserters/chests and circuit network you can control the number of bots in each roboport.
2. The roboports with too less robots requests free robots from the roboports with too much robots.

Better explained and including also an overview over similar ideas around logistic network: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093

Discussions from there:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18996
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28176
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

quadrox wrote:I think your argument is flawed - just because something isn't strictly needed doesn't mean the game wouldn't be better with that thing.
That being said, I agree that this issue is of relatively low importance - I was mostly just curious about how things worked and if other players could
ssilk wrote: Better explained and including also an overview over similar ideas around logistic network: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093

Discussions from there:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18996
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28176
I didn't request removal of any feature and never argued against the implementation of any feature. My response was aimed at helping OP. I ignored the feature request completely. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

1. By using inserters/chests and circuit network you can control the number of bots in each roboport.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot this was a solution. Use smart inserters to pull bots out of the fringe chests, and request them back into the central roboports.

Return to “General discussion”