Buying Factorio...

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Buying Factorio...

Post by skillabstinenz »

Buying Factorio on humble (as recommended), then realised I'm just buying a steam key. Screw that! So I looked for other places. GOG... they shouldn't screw me with DRM crap. 22$ instead of 20€, so Paypal wants it's cut for the currency conversion. Screw that! Found an option on GOG to chance currency to €, so no extra for Paypal. But then, versions to download on GOG: 0.12.35 (over two month old) and the “experimental” 0.13.13 (nearly three weeks old). So where do I get the latest version?

Bought another indie game on Desura a while ago, they're also way behind on updates… is that the norm?

Annihilator
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Buying Factorio...

Post by Annihilator »

When buying via Humble Bundle, you get a key for the factorio.com website where all the current stable and experimental releases are available. You don't have to use Steam at all, can get everything from factorio.com.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skillabstinenz »

Annihilator wrote:When buying via Humble Bundle, you get a key for the factorio.com website where all the current stable and experimental releases are available. You don't have to use Steam at all, can get everything from factorio.com.
I looked around in the options on GOG, you can get and redeem their key on factorio.com too.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

You may be interested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=23630

Some key points from the thread:
- Aru didn't want to install Steam
- he bought the game from Humble Bundle, but he somehow couldn't update the game even though he had created an account on factorio.com and logged in
- buying directly from factorio.com wasn't an option for him because after currency exchange, the price is slightly higher
- it was in April, things may or may not change

If GOG states clearly that you can get and redeem key on factorio.com, then I think it is the option for you.

PS: I use Steam.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

skillabstinenz wrote:Buying Factorio on humble (as recommended), then realised I'm just buying a steam key. Screw that! So I looked for other places. GOG... they shouldn't screw me with DRM crap. 22$ instead of 20€, so Paypal wants it's cut for the currency conversion. Screw that! Found an option on GOG to chance currency to €, so no extra for Paypal. But then, versions to download on GOG: 0.12.35 (over two month old) and the “experimental” 0.13.13 (nearly three weeks old). So where do I get the latest version?

Bought another indie game on Desura a while ago, they're also way behind on updates… is that the norm?
Easiest thing is to buy it on Factorio website as DaveMcW suggested :
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

You can also buy it on steam and get a DRM free version from factorio.com.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

steinio wrote:You can also buy it on steam and get a DRM free version from factorio.com.

Greetings steinio
The result will be the same for the new owner of the game. But the devs will get like 30% less because of Steam's share. If you don't intend to use Steam at all, better buy it on the dev's website, so that 100% of the money goes to the devs.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Koub wrote: The result will be the same for the new owner of the game. But the devs will get like 30% less because of Steam's share. If you don't intend to use Steam at all, better buy it on the dev's website, so that 100% of the money goes to the devs.
Thank's for clearing that. Didn't know that. :thumbs up:

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skillabstinenz »

Koub wrote:Easiest thing is to buy it on Factorio website as DaveMcW suggested :
The only way to buy I see on this page is the with the Humble Widget, that's why I said “recommended”: http://picul.de/HDP

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

skillabstinenz wrote:
Koub wrote:Easiest thing is to buy it on Factorio website as DaveMcW suggested :
The only way to buy I see on this page is the with the Humble Widget, that's why I said “recommended”: http://picul.de/HDP

The humble widget is the way you buy on our website, which is different to buying on the humble store.
Buying through the humble widget gives you an upgrade code, not a steam key.
Buying on humble store gives you a steam key.

Buying on GOG also means you will receive an upgrade code,
(Note GOG is only behind due to their own deploy steps, we send them each version at the same time as our website and steam)

skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skillabstinenz »

Klonan wrote: The humble widget is the way you buy on our website, which is different to buying on the humble store.
Buying through the humble widget gives you an upgrade code, not a steam key.
Buying on humble store gives you a steam key.

Buying on GOG also means you will receive an upgrade code,
(Note GOG is only behind due to their own deploy steps, we send them each version at the same time as our website and steam)
Oh that's how it works. Didn't expect there would be a difference between the widget and the site. Well, why don't you say that on the page?

And how much goes to the developer from each sale? Is the a difference between the sites/widget?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Return to “General discussion”