[0.9]Force train to stop depending on cargo?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tyrope
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9]Force train to stop depending on cargo?

Post by Tyrope »

New to the game, I've finally reached the point of oil trains w/o being bitten to death. Now, my oil pumps are so slow they can't fill up 1 wagon within 200 seconds, I'd like to not waste my train running back and forth carrying only empty drums in the back wagon.. short of removing the fuel, is there a way to test (using the smart chest I have loading the wagon) to have the train stop until it's full (aka: the smart chest has 2+ full drums inside)?

I looked at signals, but they can't interact with the red wire, so I'm going to assume you can't force a red light with those. (Though that would be an awesome feature.)
If you can't make it better, make it bigger.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.9]Force train to stop depending on cargo?

Post by FreeER »

from what I know: not at this time...it's a much wanted feature and (I believe) is planned (eventually).
I could be wrong (since I somehow, still, haven't played with trains. and I've had Factorio since the indiegogo compaign.... :? ) but I'm 99% sure it's not possible. sorry.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

FreeER, you haven't used trains? :shock: :o I can't believe! :)

I think it's one of the things, which makes the most fun in Factorio! I really recommend to use it. Play with low resources and low frequence but big fields, so that it makes sense to use them.

And to the question: it is an optional todo for v0.10: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=678

I don't won't bother me with half empty trains. It's more important to have a steady and reliable flow of material, than to have the train always full. In most cases I use a much lower frequency, 40-20 seconds, because the trains don't use much coal.

P.S.: In my current game my most important station has your name! :) :idea:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ssilk wrote:FreeER, you haven't used trains? :shock: :o I can't believe! :)
I know, I know! I understand the basics and every time I realize it I'm like 'oh, s**t, I need to use those sometime'...and never quite get around to it :roll:
ssilk wrote: P.S.: In my current game my most important station has your name! :)
That's....the new definition of ironic. :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

FreeER wrote:
ssilk wrote:FreeER, you haven't used trains? :shock: :o I can't believe! :)
I know, I know! I understand the basics and every time I realize it I'm like 'oh, s**t, I need to use those sometime'...and never quite get around to it :roll: 8-)
All you need is the rails assemblies, if you have some rails take them an build a small oval. Place a loco, put coal in it, enter and .... Huuiiiiiii.... :) :) once you get the taste I guarantee that you want to build more...

Copern
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Copern »

Oh you really have to try it. Building train networks is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it in Factorio. Then again I love Transport Tycoon (and OpenTTD) so I might be a tad bit biased. I would love to see path signals (maybe even pre-signals?) in the game someday.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

simple stops or multi-stops are fine, but train stations eat up massive amounts of space. The problem I hit is ending up with exposed stations because they're too large to fit within normal wall enclosures.

I posed a while ago the need for 'smart' cars that are somewhat aware of their contents and/or can link into the local logistic/wire net. The first scenario would be mostly-empty ore cars making unneccessary trips (they don't wait for full load), and the second scenario is for handling wagons carrying/loading small numbers of different items within the same car (such as 1 stack of repair packs and wall segments for automated damage control).

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

In answer to the OP:

I tried to make a logical network to only let a train leave when it's full:

i made a train crossing just after the filling station, blocking (with a signal) the main rail, and once the wagons are fully loaded, put only one wood into the train that's driving on the circle "line", so it clears the main track, does one loop and stops at the starting point (past 2 stations, or it won't drive on its own), because it runs out of fuel.

There is just one little problem, you can't put fuel in trains that have run out of fuel, but are still considered 'running', so you can do it once, and then it stops, and won't start again.. I thought this was changed some patches ago, but is was not.. so, no, I don't think it can be done :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Zourin wrote:simple stops or multi-stops are fine, but train stations eat up massive amounts of space. The problem I hit is ending up with exposed stations because they're too large to fit within normal wall enclosures.
Huh. What is "normal"? When I hear you like that, then a "normal" base is about 100-200 tiles or so?
For me this is just one smaller part of the base. The labs and the potion production for example. The train is just another part. And where in the game is the problem to get space? There is so much, that it can't be generated when the game begins... What you describe is your problem with the game. You can play it so or so. :) you call it problem, I call it freedom of exploration.

As I stated often enough I think it is our task to find out how Factorio can be played to make fun.
I posed a while ago the need for 'smart' cars that are somewhat aware of their contents and/or can link into the local logistic/wire net. The first scenario would be mostly-empty ore cars making unneccessary trips (they don't wait for full load), and the second scenario is for handling wagons carrying/loading small numbers of different items within the same car (such as 1 stack of repair packs and wall segments for automated damage control).
When I understood Kovarex right he is will implement the first steps into that direction.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 2&start=10

Tyrope
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tyrope »

jeroon wrote:In answer to the OP:

I tried to make a logical network to only let a train leave when it's full:

i made a train crossing just after the filling station, blocking (with a signal) the main rail, and once the wagons are fully loaded, put only one wood into the train that's driving on the circle "line", so it clears the main track, does one loop and stops at the starting point (past 2 stations, or it won't drive on its own), because it runs out of fuel.

There is just one little problem, you can't put fuel in trains that have run out of fuel, but are still considered 'running', so you can do it once, and then it stops, and won't start again.. I thought this was changed some patches ago, but is was not.. so, no, I don't think it can be done :D

[snip]
Thanks for the idea (and graphics)... tho as you mentioned, that doesn't work. I guess we'll be waiting on smart cargo wagons/smart track (that detect vehicles on it and/or their inventory)
If you can't make it better, make it bigger.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

You know, I just saw the Telelogistics v0.1.0 mod page and It made me think that maybe this could be done currently with code...I haven't actually looked into it though.

Return to “General discussion”