Deleting items from inventory

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
elkar
Inserter
Inserter

Deleting items from inventory

Post by elkar »

As you progress throught the game, there are items that are just staying in your inventory and you have no use to them. Therefore your invetory filling up.
Of course you can put those in some box and forget about them but even that box become full eventually not to mention that one day you will maybe need to get railway throught here.

So is there a way or would it be possible to just add drag&drop button to your invetory for deleting items? Even stacks?

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Deleting items from inventory

Post by Zourin »

The easiest way is to put them in a container, such as a crate, and then proceed to gun the crate down. Worked wonders during the era of overflowing solid fuel.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Besides destroying, with the blueprints you can put it in a chest and when it is in the way, deconstruct chest. The items in the chest are moved to another storage chest, before it is deconstructed.

There are also plans for some recycling. See roadmap.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

elkar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by elkar »

I guess chest and granade will do.

noeqplease
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by noeqplease »

This is my first post.

I do love the game, thanks for making it and working on it to improve it.

I would love to see a delete item function. not some workaround / complicated way of erasing items from your inventory or chests. An actual delete button or function.
If you won't add this, maybe add an incinerator building???

Because, well, it is a MESS otherwise. Keeping up with a distribution chest that is always filling up is kind of time consuming.

Thanks.

NukeUFO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NukeUFO »

I don't see any reason why a delete button should exist in-game. One of the cool things about Factorio is that there isn't a resource "number", everything is somewhere. If you end up with a bunch of stuff you can't figure out a way to use, you gotta put it somewhere, like RL. 1 iron box holds a lot of stuff...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

NukeUFO wrote:I don't see any reason why a delete button should exist in-game. One of the cool things about Factorio is that there isn't a resource "number", everything is somewhere. If you end up with a bunch of stuff you can't figure out a way to use, you gotta put it somewhere, like RL. 1 iron box holds a lot of stuff...
This made me thinking - you can have a "landfill" - make a train going as far as you wish, then have a stop there with tons of chests. Then whatever stuff you don't need - send to the landfill. If at a later stage you find out you need that space - well, too bad. Take it out. That's the problems with landfills in real life as well :)

Now we only need a recipe to create garbage :)

DarkenDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkenDragon »

another solution is to not make obsolete items, instead allow things to be upgraded into another, similar to how assembler 1 are used to make 2 and those are used to make 3.

for those who arent aware, the obsolete items are wooden box, iron box, coal burning mining drills, stone furnace (to some extent since it can be used to make boilers, but you'll have more furnaces than you'll need boilers) steel furnaces. in the beginning of the game, you'll need these items, and some of them you'll have a huge amount of them. but when you progress, they become useless because they arent part of the recipes for their replacements. maybe some how make them part of the recipe?

though a recycling plant would be amazing, something you'd need science pack 3 to research, allowing you to disassemble items. you put an item into it, and the output will be a 50%-75% of the items used to make it. that would be really fun to play with.

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

DarkenDragon wrote:
though a recycling plant would be amazing, something you'd need science pack 3 to research, allowing you to disassemble items. you put an item into it, and the output will be a 50%-75% of the items used to make it. that would be really fun to play with.

This would be awesome! Come on Devs get to crackin! :)

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

PharAway wrote:
DarkenDragon wrote:

This would be awesome! Come on Devs get to crackin! :)
This is not so much work to do actually. It is more to figure out exactly how it should work and then the graphical work. We have something like this in potential near-future extensions :)

NukeUFO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NukeUFO »

Everything you just described, as being unneeded items could be put in one wooden box stuck near a wall somewhere. 1 box. (by the way, you can burn wood and wooden boxes)

A recycle function wouldn't be a bad idea, but unless it was VERY low level research, you'd never get back the resource you put into the science packs to get there. If you did put it in as early research level item, most players would still never research it, except maybe as a quickie much much later in the game.

tetkris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tetkris »

when i want delte items game , i put items in chest and , now i destroy chest my gun , :D or can too destroy chest , car :D

Return to “General discussion”