Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
masterjx9
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm
Contact:

Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by masterjx9 »

Hello Factorio users,

My name is Jay and this will probably be my first/last thread here as I am only here to discuss why this game is horrible!

I first heard of the game on youtube from CGPGREY. He makes cool youtube vids and he said the game was fun. I like real time strategies like starcraft so I thought this game would be something I would enjoy. I WAS WRONG.

Here are my reasons why the game is bad and I hope that this can translate into a later version of the game (although one post from a lone man probably wont change a thing but after playing 10 hours straight on 1 level, I realized that posting this is more for me than anyone else.)

1. The instructions are shit:

You are left guessing as to what to do during the campaign. It had taken 15 hours of gameplay to beat new hope level 2 and it didn't feel fun.

2. No tells that the game is not about management but more about killing stupid bitters:

If there was an option to completely get rid of every bitter or enemy then maybe the game would be playable. I wanted to fucking build and manage stuff not, have to shoot bitters. Its hella annoying to be building something and then have to fight random shit that is miles away from your current location. Its not fun to me to be worrying about shit every two minutes in a place I can't get to in a short time.

3. Sandbox is stupid because it gives you everything with no missions:

I don't want to play a game where the only way I can play is by using another mode just to figure out things so I don't get killed. Its not cool. I wanted to play the campaign, learn what I have to build and be happy about the automation I created. Instead its either play on a mode with shit instructional missions and get killed by bitters without any good defense or play on a mode with everything but there is no purpose/missions.

This game has made me so angry and sad. I just want to play with no fucking enemies. If factorio's advertising video even mentioned that the game is about fighting bitters instead of management I would have never paid for this game.



Now just to let you know, I can hear a bunch of reasons why the game is the way it is but the fact that I don't feel happy is the main reason I am posting this. I mean, fuck is it so hard to make a fucking game where it is playable? I mean, I google search "factorio new hope level 3" and most people say they had to bumb rush the fucking south to get the computer chip thing because the bitters were so extreme. How is that fun? Having to force yourself to play the game differently than building and management.

I don't want to have to fucking drive a car and fight shit, I want to build shit and that be apart of the campaign.


In all the best way I can say it is this: This game sucks because it tries to be a shooter or a RTS but they didn't blend it well (atleast no for the campaign. You know, where it matters). Sandbox is a better way to learn the game but what type of shit is that? Its not story mode, there are no missions. Then what is the point? to waste your fucking time? Even learning in sandbox wont help you learn how to shoot off these fucking bitters in a way that is useful; you have to learn that on your own.

Thanks for hearing my rant. I needed to say this shit as this game was so annoying; I had to uninstall it from my computer. Then I burned the whole computer and got another computer.

Terukio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by Terukio »

Part of the fun of sandbox btw is making your own goals. 3 rockets per minute, 20k iron produced per minute etc.

And you can turn off biters in sandbox mode, not to mention the vast array of mods you can install to customize the game to your liking.

I can't say anything about the campaign as I have never played it.

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4942
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by Klonan »

We are working on the story mode/campaign, and we know it is one of our weaknesses,
But the game is labelled as a sandbox game, not a story based game, the world is open for you to create your own goals and challenges like all other sandbox games

In this way maybe factorio isn't the right game for you,
If you prefer a narrative and strong story based gameplay, i'd suggest another title,
If you're into sandbox base building and resource management, then factorio is right for you

DWRoelands
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by DWRoelands »

I just want to play with no fucking enemies.
That's why there's a peaceful mode checkbox in the new game dialog. Sorry it didn't go well for you.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by NoriSilverrage »

If you don't like the biters, just start a new game and select peaceful mode. The biters won't attack you unless you attack them first.

Beyond that, yes instructions are not great. But I would say that is expected because the game is still being developed. However, there is a lot of helpful people on the forums and on Reddit who are willing to answer any questions you might have.
Bottom line is that the game is about exploration and discovery. You are meant to get out there and try stuff out. When something doesn't work, tear it down and build it anew. Thankfully the game doesn't penalize you for doing that as you get all your parts and pieces back.

masterjx9
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by masterjx9 »

So the story is not complete or rather is not the point? That changes things.

Story or campaign seems liked the way to understand how to play the game and what was going on in a story sense so it seemed like the right path. I didn't notice that peaceful mode is in campaign, I that it was only in another type of gameplay like freeplay or sandbox.

In all, missions made the game feel like the purpose for me. I like creating automation and management so freeplay seems the best for now if I decided to play again.

Thanks for the info on the game by the way. Knowing these things could be helpful before hand.

User avatar
lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by lrb2_ »

  1. I haven't done much of the campaign besides what was in the demo, so I don't have anything to add.
  2. Peaceful mode! I would certainly recommend that for new players to the game - On my first "sandbox" game, I originally had peaceful mode off, but enabled it soon afterwards. Due to the importance of alien artifacts in the later game, it would be illogical to remove all aliens. However, by the mid-late game you can collect alien artifacts from smaller bases by just driving over them with a tank.
    1. There is one main mission in "sandbox mode": launching a rocket! However, it takes many small, personal missions to finally achieve that goal.
    2. "Sandbox mode" in Factorio does not give you everything. It still takes time to produce items and requires progression through the science tree. I think Factorio's "sandbox mode" is not really a "sandbox" like in other games, but one large, ongoing campaign because it does not promote cheating/item spawning without using commands or a mod for that purpose.
Finally, this game is early access. If you don't like Factorio now, revisit it later. By then, the overall gameplay might have improved to your satisfaction.

P.S.
masterjx9 wrote:Then I burned the whole computer and got another computer.
At least you have money to burn.

User avatar
Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

masterjx9 wrote:... Knowing these things could be helpful before hand.
This is why there is a free demo to test the game out :)

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by AutoMcD »

Dude, the whole game is not complete!
Relax, they are working on it. 8-)

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 6:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by Unoxxis »

So. Much. Swaring. 8x Fuck, 8x Shit. Kinda rough for the first impression people get of you, don't you think?
masterjx9 wrote:I mean, fuck is it so hard to make a fucking game where it is playable?
I don't know. Maybe you could develop a bettern game then, if you believe it is easy to develop a game that instantly pleases everyone?

But apart from that, in most early-access games I have played so far the tutorial is (or should be) one of the last things to be made. Why? Because even basic systems will change, and so would the tutorial have to. So better not spend countless dev hours to build a tutorial which is destined to be overhauled completely, until it is sure that most fundamentals are set in stone. I consider it kind of mandatory for an early access game to check with the community, forums or website for information. And if you do that for Factorio, you find an excellent beginners guide right there [Game -> Starter Page]. ;)

User avatar
MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by MrGrim »

There's a campaign?! ;)

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by AutoMcD »

Every early access game gets comments like this, people don't understand that it isn't done yet.

I've had my moments with Space Engineers for sure, sometimes it is frustrating.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:21 am
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by British_Petroleum »

I've never played the campaign either. Just start a normal game with peaceful mode on. It's fun figuring out how to play rather than being spoon fed. The game feels very complete to me. I could spend weeks experimenting with new builds/designs and play styles, there are many different ways to play. Then there's the final goal of launching the rocket which is fun to do at least once, and if you ever get bored of vanilla there's a sea of mods that'll provide new experiences for years to come

MobRules
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 1:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by MobRules »

To me, I always figured the campaign was essentially a "tutorial mode" rather than the main event. (I got bored with it about halfway through, & decided to figure out things as I went in "regular mode" :) ).

As others have said, it doesn't make much sense of them to put a lot more effort into the campaign until the mechanics are finalized, or they'd need to spend a lot of time every update repetitively updating the campaign. Sometimes I play in "peaceful mode" (where biters never attack unless they are attacked) sometimes not. In my most recent game, I have been using peaceful mode just because I like to play a slow-and-steady game (I do enough rushing IRL; game-time is when I get to slow the eff down) so the bugs always evolve faster than my military grows. (my current game is also a 50-high ribbon-world, which adds an interesting twist.)

Game is very addictive once you get into it. :D

rbrucemtl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:17 am
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by rbrucemtl »

Hi,

I just wanted to say I played peaceful the first time I played the game because the biters kept taking me out... later I realized how much I was missing...

The biters are great fun and you can keep them out with walls, laser turrets, and a stable power supply. It's a blast to go out hunting for artifacts creating walls and defense systems as part of the working factory. I have a huge factory and the biters are not an issue at all but it took some planing to get the defenses up solid. Having the logistics network do auto repair of any damage the bitters manage to inflict, rebuilding walls and reloading gun turrets. etc.

Love this game!

User avatar
taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by taiiat »

idunno, Clannies and i came into Factorio blind, and after all playing only the initial basic tutorial, started a Sandbox session, and played for 55hrs building plenty of stuff, automating turret defenses, automating production of components, rail networks, you name it.

honestly to me it sounds like you expected giant flashing buttons from a nowhere near finished Story mode(did you also glaze over that the game has a huge banner on the Steam Store - the most likely place you bought it from - that says it's not a finished game? because it sounds like you expected a finished game).
even though all of the things make sense, belts move items, inserters move towards the arrow, machines take in resources and make other resources, pipes move liquids.... Et Cetera.
it should all be intuitive because of that. no space magic(save for the Fusion Reactor and Energy Shield and such but i digress), just machinery.
Factorio may look daunting if you see a Screenshot of a factory, but it's really pretty simple. small things repeated across a large scale, doing many different tasks to complete bigger tasks.


i'm sure you're aware from the numerous times already pointed out that you can make the Bugs basically not exist (or with Mods / couple commands when you start a game) actually not exist. just as long as you get a different way to obtain the Resources that you must deal with Bugs to get.

if i look past your terrible attitude, you play Starcraft, yet you say Sandbox is pointless? so what you're saying, is you buy Starcraft (or any RTS) to play the Campaign once and the uninstall it? i'm sure you don't do that.

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by purdueme91 »

I think the game really shines in sandbox (of course!). I saw a let's play on youtube and thought it looked interesting and just tried the demo. The campaign/demo was just enough to get me hooked. I think I'm at 300 hours in the last 8 weeks and we're not even to 0.13 yet. :shock:

But I don't see how you can think this is an RTS. Honestly, you get surprised the first time the biters come and you die. Then you start building defenses and it's more like "how in the hell did that one get through" or "how do I turn off that stupid alarm sound" aka they become more of a nuisance pretty quickly rather than a real threat.

And no instructions, really?!? Do you just want a big button to appear that says "YOU WIN!". The whole point of freeform games is to figure out things yourself. And then there are wiki's and youtube if you really get stuck or if you want to get better.

So don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. We won't miss you.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:25 am
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by vedrit »

Am I the only one that read the OP and couldn't decide if it was a joke, a troll, or serious?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3853
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by orzelek »

vedrit wrote:Am I the only one that read the OP and couldn't decide if it was a joke, a troll, or serious?
Nope you weren't.
You pull out the popcorn and read further :D

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I really hate/dislike the game

Post by mooklepticon »

orzelek wrote:
vedrit wrote:Am I the only one that read the OP and couldn't decide if it was a joke, a troll, or serious?
Nope you weren't.
You pull out the popcorn and read further :D
Same here. Either the OP is [Koub] Moderated : No personal attacks please. or a poor troll, IMO.

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”