Gah

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Gah

Post by Mangledpork »

EDIT: Said a dumb thing. Removed thing because it was dumb.
Last edited by Mangledpork on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Is it a no-go for launch?

Post by Kewlhotrod »

that comment reminded me of WoW days, although I don't think this game justifies that level of commitment.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Kewlhotrod wrote:that comment reminded me of WoW days, although I don't think this game justifies that level of commitment.
I think many of us missed the memo on this commitment level thing.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Gah

Post by Mangledpork »

EDIT: Also dumb. Tried to say things, failed at words. Sounded like a d**k.
Last edited by Mangledpork on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

Mangledpork wrote:It's not about playing the update, it's about covering it. If it comes out, I need to be ready and waiting to do videos and livestreams at the drop of a hat. It's my work, and I can't afford to miss something like this.
gotta get that seo money

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Gotta like the attitude of people nowadays... How some people really think that they are SO important and whatnot that they deserve to know if there is going to be a release on day <xy> or not.

Being paid to do reviews and crap like that or not, it is ridiculous. Thanks to people with this lack of patience one really knows the golden ages of "When it's done" are over. Makes one really hate this entire post-2010 generation of livestreaming attention seekers.

But then again I never really understood the entire Livestream/Let's Play generation anyways and why anyone is actually wasting their time by watching someone else play a game. Sounds utterly unfun to me... Rather use the time to play the game myself instead. Would be a more worthwhile experience.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

EDIT: Still reading? Well, for context I was trying to at least find out if the update wasn't coming out because when it does I need to drop everything and make videos on it because doing so is essentially my part-time job. I was in the process of dropping everything because there was a decent indication that the update would come out, and wanted to see if I could find out more to prevent a potentially wasted evening. I proceeded to mess up due to rushing it and being bad at communicating via text.
If you really must keep reading, I've left the rest of this post as it was.

I wasn't saying I was more important, I was just trying to find out anything I possibly could rather than sitting and waiting for what could have been hours.

Let me explain the circumstances. I'd seen that generally, an FFF releases at 4-5pm my time. I had something scheduled for 7pm, and the only thing that I would cancel it for was the update. 4, 5, and 7pm come and go and I'm still telling people that I don't even know if I can make it or not, and I'm trying to work out what an unusually late FFF means. Does it mean the update is on it's way and taking some time, or is it just one of those times where it's later for some reason? FFFs have been as late as 11pm my time before, and that's of course within the rights of the devs, and in fact that have no obligation to write them at all. But it's incredibly frustrating to think that not only might I be waiting for over 4 more hours, but that it might turn out to be for nothing, and then I'd have to do it again next week. And there's a good chance that the devs have probably known for days if the update was happening or not, and may not even have realised that people are still fully expecting it will. It was this frustration that led me to the "Just put me out of my misery" moment of making the thread (at this point I'd rather the outburst got deleted, but there's not much I can do about that myself).

There's also the whole thing of text lacking a huge aspect of communication. My intention was to come across as desperate (Because I was) rather than self-important, something I failed in utterly. It's important to me, but that doesn't mean it has to be important to anyone else, and I understand that. But think of it this way: You're waiting for a train, and it could come any time in the next four hours. You know that when the train does arrive, you may not even be able to get on it anyway, and that the next train is a week from now. The station master is standing on the platform, and knows everything, but is on the phone and has been for 3 hours already. Just how long would you wait before interrupting him?

EDIT: Now to bury this crappy thread of mine for all of time I'll go and post nice things in some better ones.
Last edited by Mangledpork on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mackowatosc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mackowatosc »

MeduSalem wrote:Gotta like the attitude of people nowadays... How some people really think that they are SO important and whatnot that they deserve to know if there is going to be a release on day <xy> or not.

Being paid to do reviews and crap like that or not, it is ridiculous. Thanks to people with this lack of patience one really knows the golden ages of "When it's done" are over. Makes one really hate this entire post-2010 generation of livestreaming attention seekers.

But then again I never really understood the entire Livestream/Let's Play generation anyways and why anyone is actually wasting their time by watching someone else play a game. Sounds utterly unfun to me... Rather use the time to play the game myself instead. Would be a more worthwhile experience.
This is what happens if you raise your kids, telling them they are unique and the most important. Selfishness and being self-centered - the core of most of the humanity these days.

doc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by doc »

It's pretty obvious that a dev team with any sanity won't put out a massive release on a Friday, definitely not last thing on a Friday. Since the release didn't land on Thurs, I already assumed/hoped that it wouldn't be out until at least next week. They have never committed to any date - just said "soon". That could mean 1 week or 1 month.

Why are Friday releases so bad? No developer wants to do this, unless they really love giving up their weekends. I can guarantee 100% that once the update gets out to the playerbase some serious bugs will be discovered in multiplayer which need patching immediately otherwise players won't be able to play and bad reviews would start rolling in. Sensible time to do a release is in the morning, early in the week, when there is plenty of time and developers available to react to these problems as they emerge. (And also to provide modders support with the new API, etc etc.)

Presumably the reason they couldn't answer any of the 5,000 questions of "is it coming out today" is because they were actually a little bit too busy trying to get as much work done as possible before the end of the week, so they'll have something of high enough quality to release hopefully Mon/Tues. This is really the equivalent of having kids jumping up and down in the back of a car going "are we there yet? are we there yet?" - at best it's not going to get anyone anywhere quicker, and at worst it's super distracting. Having managers come round asking me how soon I'm going to complete some new feature is always a great way to wreck my train of thought.

Stede
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stede »

You guys need to lighten up. Dude's impatient. Big deal. People have faults - more at eleven!

Step away from the soapbox.

SomeDuder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SomeDuder »

Remember when people played videogames for fun?

Yea, me neither.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I guess it's time to lock/delete the thread at the hand of a mod or so.

OP already got that it was not the best way to start off a thread. I may have my grudge against selfcentered posts but I am not really in for cybermobbing.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

I agree with MeduSalem.

Topic Locked since there is no reason to discuss this further

Return to “General discussion”