What kind of restrictions on Achievements will there be?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
janook
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

What kind of restrictions on Achievements will there be?

Post by janook »

Hello, exciting for the v13 release!

What kind of things will impact Steam achievements? Will I still get achievements if I use mods? What if I use the console?

Thanks!

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Re: What kind of restrictions on Achievements will there be?

Post by Unoxxis »

The only way this is fair if achievements = no mods, no console.
Everything else is just unfair because technically with the console or a proper mod you can get every achievement sub-60-second...

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

...which hopefully means they'll start considering quality-of-life enhancements like colored concrete, blueprint string, upgrade planner, and nixie tubes instead of just saying "there's a mod for that" since some people will rightfully object to using mods on the basis of mods taking them out of the achievement game.

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

I do not think that they would have the "right" to object, imho.
If you want nixie tubes and stuff to build a pretty base - your choice. But if you are hunting for achievements, do it on fair ground where everybody has the same chances. Otherwise achievements make no sense.

Besides, most of the stuff you mentioned is not "quality-of-life" to me.

If anything, a blueprint string mod should definitely *not* be allowed when gaining achievements is possible. Come on. Really? Go to a forum, go to thread "Place this and that blueprint and you get achievement XY", place ingame, ding, "Achievement XY unlocked". Thats a bit silly, don't you think?

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

No, I don't think, because you can do that with pictures from the forum, too. Or by downloading someone's save game. Why penalize the sharing of combinator tricks and railway interchanges and the like because someone *might* "cheat" the achievements. People who really want to cheat the achievements will find tricks we haven't thought of, and they shouldn't be used as an excuse to make our life harder.

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

I honestly find the idea of achievements in this game pretty meh. In a sandbox(y) game you should set yourself your own goals. And many people in the community are doing so in brilliant and unexpected ways.

But of course people nowadays are so used to shiny bling bling that achievements have to be in for sales reason. Achievements are often the legitimation for a lot of bad stuff (online save only, no LAN mode, etc.) for the very reason we are discussing here... Online badges often force a game to be "always online" to prevent cheating. Besides, they often make "completionist" type players play a game in a way they just do not enjoy, until they start nagging publicly how grindy or repetetive the game is.
silverkitty23 wrote:Why penalize the sharing of combinator tricks and railway interchanges and the like because someone *might* "cheat" the achievements.
There is no penalty I am seeing. If you want to see how such a trick works you can - but happen to not get any achievements in that particular save you used to test somebody else's stuff. Which is perfectly fine for me. You can see how it works and then imitate it in your own "achievement" map - while maybe simultaneously improving it or adopting it to your needs.

I think the whole topic should be approached like for instance in Torchlight II. When you launch it you get the choice "play with mods and console" or "play without mods and console but with achievements".

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I don't see why it matters how people get achievements. If it really affects you that badly that a person might cheat an achievement or use a walkthrough guide or have someone else do it for them, then that is a problem with you. Don't let other people having fun interfere with your fun and don't value your worth against someone elses, life is too short for that.

cdp181
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cdp181 »

Kovarex replied to a thread on Reddit about achievements
Achievements are stored in separate file when mods are activated and they are not reported to steam.
Can't post a link because this is my first post. Yay :)

Haunar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Haunar »

Additional question, will it be possible to get achievments on multiplayer? As long as there is no mods, or console use of course.

Vakonof
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vakonof »

Haunar wrote:Additional question, will it be possible to get achievments on multiplayer? As long as there is no mods, or console use of course.
Yea, they work on MP.
-- Vakonof

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Vakonof wrote:
Haunar wrote:Additional question, will it be possible to get achievments on multiplayer? As long as there is no mods, or console use of course.
Yea, they work on MP.
They work too well on multiplayer.

Nevermind cheating to get what you want. Just go on a well established multiplayer server. Instantly unlock all of the production capacity achievements for a server that has a lot of stuff in it.

The achievements are pretty badly over-hyped. They should be seen merely as goals for things to accomplish, not any sort of competitive you must do this or we'll laugh at how much of a noob you are. With that framing around them, does it really matter if people cheat to get them? That's what they want to do, let them play the game their way as sandbox games are meant to be.

Pretty much any attempt to restrict achievements to vanilla only will simply inconvenience people who want a few conveniences to enjoy while offering only token resistance against people going out of their way to get achievements by cheating.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

OdinYggd wrote:Pretty much any attempt to restrict achievements to vanilla only will simply inconvenience people who want a few conveniences to enjoy
factorio saves vanilla and modded achievements separately.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Return to “General discussion”