What inspired you to buy Factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Wolfae
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

What inspired you to buy Factorio?

Post by Wolfae »

So normally I don't mess with buying new games unless it's kinda like a game that I've played in the past. My brother showed me a trailer, and I was instantly like... "this game looks like enemy nations... Except more automated, and more game content."

In enemy nations, your race of intelligent beings have overpopulated and used too much resources on the home planet. Your race decided to send out a rocket ship colony to find another habitable planet to occupy. Your race found it.... And so did a lot of other races. In order to avoid conflict in galactic war, a treaty was signed saying that everyone will be able to land a rocket on the planet with an equal amount of resources, equipment, etc. The last race remaining will take control of the planet. You land your rocket somewhere, and basically build a civilization, and weapons to fend off the other races. It's automated in Logistics and production, but not construction or military. It's a windows 200 game, and I suggest you do not attempt to play on XP or higher because it doesn't work correctly on later versions of stuff.

Since I thought of enemy nations because of factorio, I bought it almost instantly.
Favorite seed

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: What inspired you to buy Factorio?

Post by greep »

-High reviews
-Builder game
-cheap

Didn't even read the description. Not regretted :)

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

by far #1 reason: negative root made it look pretty damn interesting on youtube.

#2 linux support. I have buyer's remorse about too many games I have to boot windows for -- they just wind up sitting on my hard disk unplayed.

#3: Like most of my video game purchases, I acquired it "out of band" before I paid for it. After a few hours of play, I immediately took off my eye patch and drowned my parrot. Buying it was absolutely a no-brainer. I'm surprised I hadn't found out about it sooner, it scratches a great many of my itches as a gamer.

albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by albatrosv13 »

Deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terukio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Terukio »

GIrlfriend introduced it to me. Proceeded to ignore her the rest of the day playing it. Girlfriend no longer plays it due to me trying to be optimal. Girlfriend doesn't play anymore BUT I DO. Love this game <3

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Game itself. I downloaded cracked version and after 1-2 hours of playing, I bought it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

albatrosv13 wrote:You are assuming that everyone here on forums have already bought this game.

Because of that assumption, i can't asnwer that question. Except that i thought about buying that game, but then the devs scaled up the price, soo.....
So I'm understanding that in the more than two years you've been posting here - and seeing your posts, you did actually enjoy the game enough to keep playing it all this time - you haven't bought the game. And you didn't buy it after all this time because, at one point, devs raised the price (and we were warned at what date the price tag woulg raise well before) as the game got closer to a finished product than it was at the beginning. Now it would be a little more honest to say "I have played this game for two years, enjoyed it, and will keep on playing it, because I don't give a shit that the devs get paid for their work". That would be honest :). There is absolutely no way your position is defendable.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Flight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Flight »

I first saw the game on Steam with great reviews, but from the trailer it seemed to be too dense, complicated. I turned it down.

Later I saw a guy on a gaming forum explaining how awesome it was, and then I decided to try.

Maybe the trailer should show that you don't necessarily need to build something that big and that complex to actually make progress and have fun.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

this
golfmiketango wrote: #2 linux support.
and this
Neotix wrote:Game itself. I downloaded cracked version and after 1-2 hours of playing, I bought it.
:lol:

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

I watched Nerdcubed play it (the original video, not the 'loves' one he put out recently) and bought it the same day after playing the Demo 3 times over!
Also it had Linux support, which seems to be an important factor looking at the other peoples' responses! Yay Linux!
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

MobRules
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MobRules »

The production chains that this game specializes in are something I've tried to play with in Dwarf Forteress, (heavily modded) Minecraft, and Simutrans. But since in this game, the automated production chains are the primary purpose, Factorio does a better job with them. Plus, it's addictive as hell. (still a major DF fan, but the production-chain mechanic is much better in Factorio)

esotericist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by esotericist »

NESTT. Also, in the same post as I found out about NESTT, I discovered the future existence of spidertron.

When I saw those, I finally went, "Yessss, this will be miiiiine."

Then I discovered the full game is a LOT more fun than the demo campaign implied. I, also, spent a lot of time trying to do logistics chains in other games, and found them always lacking. Factorio does a much better job at these, mechanically... although I'm looking forward to improved UX (research tree, train layout HUD elements, etc).

Sean Mirrsen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Saw it some long time ago on someone's youtube video, thought it was neat but very obtuse, and the lack of a version I could realistically buy (USD to RUR conversion was never very favorable) meant I shelved it as a memory and forgot about it.

Two months ago accidentally scrolled too far down in the Steam client store, saw the game in the suggested list. The RUR price is still much higher than what I'd pay for any game, and the description mentions not going on sale... ever... so that's a no-buy. The reviews are hilariously one-sided though, so a trip to some tracker later I'm playing an, er, evaluation copy. Seems rather fun..

Had fun with the game as it was, but was (and still am) unimpressed with the chosen early progression. Mod idea(s) brewing, but feel that I shouldn't go about asking for modding help when I don't own the game. Game still too expensive to buy.

Finally caved in some two weeks ago, thanks to a momentary abundance of spare funds. The RUR region price is rather too high compared to similar $20 games' converted prices on Steam, that plus no sales means that a player even slightly less honorable than me would have probably kept playing the otherwise identical DRM-and-purchase-free version. :P

Still, I do think the game deserves it overall. And I do personally think it's a stupid pricing policy, but there's that saying - if it's stupid but it works.... ;)

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

I bought it sometime in January last year because of Zisteau's Factorio 0.11 let's play.

Man-of-location
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Man-of-location »

1) Complexe system
2) High score on steam
3) Potential to be the next (minecraft) with the same success , please dont sell the licence to Microsoft
4) Fun
5) A new and maybe a futur good RTS with survival system , like food or water filtering

That's why :)

scootzter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scootzter »

I saw a video of it a couple of years ago (didn't you love the rocket defense graphics :P) by quill18 and instantly fell in love with it. This is a great factory building game that brings lots of fun and sadness when you have to sleep/go to work. Not many games can obliterate my sense of time like this one does, as I'm sure a good number of you have found out. "Oh I couldn't have played that long, oh no it's 6am!" :P
Anyways, all this coupled with the fact that they keep releasing new content for free it was a must buy.

Stan K
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stan K »

A friend told me: "I'm playing this addictive game, if you care about your spare time, stay away from it"...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Honestly?

That there haven't been any good logistics/puzzle games in something like a decade. So when I heard about Factorio through a friend I literally had no choice but buying it because I am crazy for that kind of games.

daaz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by daaz »

Been following the game for a while (and also had a less clean version downloaded). Realised my old TF2 crates actually worth something, ended up with 23 euros. Best impulse purchase ever!
On a slightly more serious note, while crawling the forums i have seen how common bugfixes and small releases are. Not to mention the game's performance, the actual gameplay, the sprite-style graphics... Games like this worth every cent they cost.

Return to “General discussion”