Are compressed belts really good?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Are compressed belts really good?

Post by greep »

I think if you're worrying about this question you aren't building fast enough. You should overproduce base materials to compression point to give you extra slack to build more assemblers which leads to these materials not being compressed, then you go back to step one. Pretty simple.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

pieppiep wrote:I think you should always try to not get compressed belts.
If a belt becomes compressed, the production it leads to isn't big enough or you need more belt capacity.
If your belts are compressed or not does not matter at all if you only care about results (i.e. goods manufactured).

The only thing that matters is if your assemblers have 100% uptime or not (for the products that you're interested in).

If you have 10x Assembler-3 making Science-Pack-3, you want these assemblers to run continuously (assuming that you're actually researching something that requires Science 3, of course). If they don't you either have no demand for Science 3, or your assemblers don't have enough materials to work with. That's the end of the story, the belt compression does not matter.

Now to get back to your original question: are compressed belts really good? Of course they are, unless you want to build more belts than necessary. If you need to carry 2400 units/minute from point A to point B, the most efficient way is a compressed blue belt. So you compress a blue belt first before you start to run more belts in parallel.

Also, a belt does not "become compressed", it either is already compressed at the source or it never has been (the "source" in this case is the splitter that creates the 100% compression, as there is no other way to do that before we get the new inserter in 0.13). What you mean when you say "it becomes compressed" is actually a belt clogging up due to lack of demand (as you say yourself).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

ratchetfreak wrote:I think you mean OCD, ADHD won't have the persistent focus needed to... hey look a butterfly
HanziQ wrote:I think you mean OCPD. I don't think people with acual OCD are even playing Factorio, it just might be too much.
You're both right.

If you have ADHD then it will be nearly impossible to keep focus on things that you don't find interesting. But if you do find something interesting, then your focus is greatly amplified and you will very easily lose complete awareness of anything going on around you for hours on end. To the point of not even being able to comprehend what somebody is saying if they come up and try to talk to you.

ADHD often comes with social anxiety, which makes it appear similar to OCPD. Social Anxiety basically results in never feeling like you are doing good enough in the eyes of those around you. Combined with the extreme focus that ADHD can cause this can result in being obsessed with working as fast and efficiently as possible to impress those around you, and forming specific habits and rituals will help with this. Also loosing focus and possibly even the ability to work well once these rituals and habits get messed up somehow. Much like with OCPD

creekz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by creekz »

zytukin wrote:
ratchetfreak wrote:I think you mean OCD, ADHD won't have the persistent focus needed to... hey look a butterfly
HanziQ wrote:I think you mean OCPD. I don't think people with acual OCD are even playing Factorio, it just might be too much.
If you have ADHD then it will be nearly impossible to keep focus on things that you don't find interesting. But if you do find something interesting, then your focus is greatly amplified and you will very easily lose complete awareness of anything going on around you for hours on end. To the point of not even being able to comprehend what somebody is saying if they come up and try to talk to you.

This also applies to ADD which I'm diagnosed with. The special interest "fixation" comes from the autism specrum part of ADD/ADHD I belive.

Factorio is my current fixation. :-D

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

creekz wrote:The special interest "fixation" comes from the autism specrum part of ADD/ADHD I belive.

Factorio is my current fixation. :-D
lel
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Return to “General discussion”