Feedback 0.9

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Feedback 0.9

Post by BurnHard »

Oil industry is fun, but the recipies and their producion methods need some tweaking.

Please consider moving all the recipies that need solid intermediate products like iron plates etc to assemblers instead of chemical plants. Such things like batteries, engines (as mentioned before), the processing units, maybe explosives (without water). Liquid ingredients for these things like acid, should be bottled up automatically and not be treated as a liquid for pipelines.

This would reduce the current pipeline-heavy design, which I consider al little but "too much fat pipes"

Second point regarding the lockup of the refinery when one ingredient isn't used. Would recommend a sort of building that burns up the excess material of the specific pipeline system when the storage is 100% full, and ONLY then. It surves no other purposes and generates no energy or other things. Or as mentioned before let us convert light oil/heavy oil/petroleum gas into each other with a lossy convertion rate.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

BurnHard wrote: Would recommend a sort of building that burns up the excess material of the specific pipeline system when the storage is 100% full, and ONLY then. It surves no other purposes and generates no energy or other things. Or as mentioned before let us convert light oil/heavy oil/petroleum gas into each other with a lossy convertion rate.
It is possible to do already :)

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

kovarex wrote:It is possible to do already :)
I hadn't time to play more than some hours this weekend, which of both things mentionend do you mean to be possible today already? (lol at "surves", I meant "serves")

By the way I can't load my savegame to look for myself, Error "Internal error, unkown [sic!] tile 0" :D

Savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofs6edeylueti ... osave1.zip

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

I'm wagering that it's meant for excess to be 'burned off' as solid fuel.. although I'm finding myself with quite a bit of the superfuel laying around

CherryKiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CherryKiss »

BurnHard wrote:which of both things mentionend do you mean to be possible today already?
it is possible to burn off excess oil products with no production by feeding the fluid into a steam engine. Not an intended use of power generators, but it works.

tbarros
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tbarros »

kovarex wrote:
BurnHard wrote: Would recommend a sort of building that burns up the excess material of the specific pipeline system when the storage is 100% full, and ONLY then. It surves no other purposes and generates no energy or other things. Or as mentioned before let us convert light oil/heavy oil/petroleum gas into each other with a lossy convertion rate.
could you give us a hint please?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

tbarros wrote:
kovarex wrote:
could you give us a hint please?
You can have the "output pipe" (lets say it goes from left), you put pump in the T section pumping the fluid into storage. the rest of the fluid goes further down the pipe to be removed.
It should work similar as when you have transport belt, and you use inserter(s) to put items from the belt to chest, once the chests are full, items on the belt go further and further and can be processed by something else.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I had a long pipe of petrolium gas, at the end there was a T-piece. Left goes to sulfur, right to rubber. The left got much more than the right, even that the pipe to the left was longer.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

ssilk wrote:Hm. I had a long pipe of petrolium gas, at the end there was a T-piece. Left goes to sulfur, right to rubber. The left got much more than the right, even that the pipe to the left was longer.
That's the same problem I'm having here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=2367
There just doesn't seem to be any way to divide liquid among the places that need it. When fluids come to a split in the pipe, they pick a single path to follow. Any other directions only gets backwash.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Looks like the "rotate-always-left-in-a-labyrinth"-algorithm. :) this is some kind of good to know thing, if it is really like so.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ssilk wrote:Looks like the "rotate-always-left-in-a-labyrinth"-algorithm. :) this is some kind of good to know thing, if it is really like so.
It is different problem, there is list of all entities that needs to be updated, and the first pump gets to be updated takes all the fluid available for itself.
I believe this would be solvable by running the update backwards every other tick, but it wouldn't work for 3 pipes anyway, so we have to find some better solution.

HerrJoebob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HerrJoebob »

Coolthulhu wrote:Bad:
  • I don't like being forced to build the entire industry just for few items. When I just want to make an omelette, I am forced too to research "Universe" first. I'd like an expensive shortcut to produce things like say, advanced circuits for quadruple price.
Agree on this. When I loaded up an old late game save to look at the new recipe lists I was like :shock: :?

I like your idea on expensive shortcuts too. Hadn't occurred to me but it would allow newer players and the easily overwhelmed (like me) to ease into an efficient setup.
Coolthulhu wrote:Good:
  • New grafix. Pretty, animated, alive.
[/list]
Very much so, what a pretty layout. I generated about a dozen new maps (looking for resources not realizing that the mapgen was bugged) and the new forest shinies are very shiny. The various new icons I saw look great too.

Rens2Sea
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rens2Sea »

My thingies:
  • Make all fluids portable by barrels, not just oil.
  • Not necessarily 0.9.0 related, but make trees more visible on the (mini)map, it's a pain to navigate.
  • Climbable pipes
  • I would like to be able to change what exits from the exits from oil refineries and chemical plants. Make it 'rotatable' so normally it's heavy oil, light oil, petroleum gas, then you rotate it (not the building, but the exits) making it light oil, petroleum gas, heavy oil, and so on.
  • As many other people has said, make pipes that don't connect to another.
  • Smart pipes, pumps.
  • Engines, they are build in chemical plants because they require lubricants, that just doesn't seem right. Maybe have a special kind of assembler that also accepts liquids?
  • Currently Steam engines are used to burn of excess liquids, i would like to have a special 'burning' building for this that's not that big.
  • Modules don't work in the new buildings.
  • It's too easy to accidentally mine a storage tank. Please increase the mining time for them.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

BurnHard wrote:
kovarex wrote:It is possible to do already :)
By the way I can't load my savegame to look for myself, Error "Internal error, unkown [sic!] tile 0" :D
More or less all my saves are affected by that error now, any ideas?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Play with girlfriend? :mrgreen:

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

ssilk wrote:Play with girlfriend? :mrgreen:
Sorry no option, weekend-relationship ^^

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

Okay, got my hands on 0.9.0 after finally finishing my 0.8.8 game. Several points (mainly regarding research):

[*] No longer able to rush Adv. Processing 2 for electric furnaces. Mainly because they now require oil industry.
[*] The tech tree in general sure needs a "little" bit of updating: IMO, it would be better if a tech giving access to, say, electric furnaces required as a prerequisite all the techs needed to produce one. Not so now. As far as I remember, 0.8.8 had about one such research (I believe it was something using modules to produce).
[*] Also, laser towers suddenly got pushed very much further into late-game (batteries). Should be okay, will see later.
[*] Green sci-packs suddenly got their production chain become a MUCH greater nuisance. Inserters already were a pain in the backside when crafting blues in 0.8.8, and now they are required for greens too. All in all, low-to-mid tiered research got more difficult (yet have to build a factory for greens in the new version).

All in all, at present (about 40 mins into my first 0.9.0 game) I like the changes. The more difficult without being impossible, the better. (No, I have not tried a Terrifying Glacier embark with nothing but a wagon. If you get the reference ;) )

Edit: Also, how do you put those dot-before-a-list-item things? Apparently buttons over post area either don't have them or don't work for me.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Sir Nick wrote: Edit: Also, how do you put those dot-before-a-list-item things? Apparently buttons over post area either don't have them or don't work for me.

Code: Select all

[list]
[*]item 1
[*]item 2
[*]item 3
[/list]

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Sir Nick wrote:Green sci-packs suddenly got their production chain become a MUCH greater nuisance. Inserters already were a pain in the backside when crafting blues in 0.8.8, and now they are required for greens too.
Greens aren't as bad as it seems. Calbes > Circuits > Inserters < Gears > Belts. Put resources on one side and combine inserters and belts running to greens. The other side of the resources can produce reds (reds < gears > reds ). I did this setup with two sets of reds (4 total), the single Inserter/Gear chain, and 4 greens. It easily fed 10 science labs. It works with individual belts for iron and copper by using long inserters in the proper places. It is fairly easy to expand, but you might need separate gear factories for inserters and belts.

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

Oh, thanks.

Regarding greens - now they have interconnected paths, while before the sole connection was the science pack 2.

Return to “General discussion”