Factorio FLOB?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
NightmareInfinity
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio FLOB?

Post by NightmareInfinity »

If any of you guys are familiar with kurtjmac you might know about his Far Lands or Bust series, I wanted to do something similar in Factorio. Except, Not recorded or anything. I don't even know if Factorio even technically has a far lands.. But I'm doing it anyway. If people are interested I could post some updates occasionally. I currently have The game running with Farl and a stack size mod that lets me stack rail up to 1k so i don't have to fill cargo wagons every 10 seconds and so I don't have to place the rail manually.
As of right now ive been playing for roughly 20 minutes on this and I can't even see the whole map anymore.

Any comments or questions on what I'm doing?

I'm running this on a spare computer I never use so it should be going 24/7. However, The HDD isn't very big and I fear the world saves would fill the HDD on it.
This is my Signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio FLOB?

Post by steinio »

Yeah what are you doing?
Could you please describe what far lands and the goal of this scenario is.

Are you just driving in a direction to the rim of the world?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

With the infinite map settings, the computer limited size is 8,388,608 tiles from center in each direction.
Hopefully you can get a bigger stack size then 1k or you'll be running back and forth a lot to resupply, especially since you'll have to go around lakes etc. :p

You could use this command to have the game generate an 11 tile wide strip to the eastern boarder to test if your computer could even handle the large map. Might take a bit of time (hours) to generate it though. Could start it before going to bed and see if it's done when you wake up in the morning.
/c game.local_player.force.chart(game.local_player.surface,{lefttop = {x = -10, y = -10}, rightbottom = {x = 8388608, y = 1}})

Then use this to get there, or just use this without generating first. But, I doubt you want to teleport there.
/c game.getplayer(1).teleport{ x = 0, y = 8388608}

But, as I understand it, there isn't anything special to see.
Just an invisible wall, which actually prevents you from getting within 3 chunks or so of the edge of the map.
Last edited by zytukin on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

steinio wrote:Yeah what are you doing?

It's a minecraft reference.
In minecraft the farlands is the area of the map where byte storage limit is hit so the map turns all screwy.

The term '[destination] or bust' means to risk everything and go for broke in an attempt to reach the destination.

NightmareInfinity
Inserter
Inserter

I think I might restart on my actual computer and do a YouTube series on it. You think people would watch that?

I'm also thinking I might set it to be a world with only water in the spawn, Just so I don't have to go around any lakes. Unless you would rather see me move the train around some lakes.

Quazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quazar »

Lakes seem must-do, there's not enough variation.

Are you going to manufacture the rails? :shock:

NightmareInfinity
Inserter
Inserter

Quazar wrote:Lakes seem must-do, there's not enough variation.

Maybe, I might add the train mod that lets you control trains from afar and have a refill train that i send back between episodes or something. As to not bore everyone. But everything would be made by hand. All the rail crafted manually. I just think it would be more interesting.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

NightmareInfinity wrote:
Quazar wrote:Lakes seem must-do, there's not enough variation.

Maybe, I might add the train mod that lets you control trains from afar and have a refill train that i send back between episodes or something. As to not bore everyone. But everything would be made by hand. All the rail crafted manually. I just think it would be more interesting.
Could be done without a mod. Make the loading station named 'load' or whatever, place a second marker labelled 'work' or something.
Build a train and set it to automatic mode, set it to go between 'Load' and 'Work'. Remove the 'Work' station and carry it with you.

When you need supplies, just place the station and name it 'Work' and the train will come. When the train is about at the station, remove the marker so the train will stop. Repeat as you move along the map to keep the train somewhat following you. When you need to refill the train, just click it and tell it to go to 'load', and place the 'work' station marker again and wait for the train to go and get loaded and return. Repeat the process as you move along the map. Wouldn't be boring for viewers, just edit that waiting period out of the video.

Alternatively, you can control trains from afar already somewhat. When you click on an engine and the menu opens up, it wont disappear no matter how far the train gets from you. So you could use it to send the train manually to 'load' or 'work'. Works better if you have multiple monitors so you can have the game screen across them and use one monitor to do stuff with the other for the open windows (main reason I wish we could pin all windows open).

Although, a mod that lets you tell a train to 'follow me as I walk along the track' would be great.
Although it would make it easy to get run over.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

zytukin wrote:
steinio wrote:Yeah what are you doing?

It's a minecraft reference.
In minecraft the farlands is the area of the map where byte storage limit is hit so the map turns all screwy.

The term '[destination] or bust' means to risk everything and go for broke in an attempt to reach the destination.
Recent research shows far land in factorio.
Would call it 'The Void'

No one should ever go so far :)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20543&p=149612&sid ... 4b#p149612

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

NightmareInfinity
Inserter
Inserter

zytukin wrote:
NightmareInfinity wrote:
Quazar wrote: (main reason I wish we could pin all windows open).
Sorta like OpenTTD.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

Build out of the tank, have a train full of rail following

Return to “General discussion”