How to have one place of chests?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How to have one place of chests?

Post by Tepalus »

Good morning to you all.

So i was playing factorio for some hours and i've started to build a little factory for all types of transportation (Belts, splitters, etc.). Then i managed to insert all kinds to chests (one chest for each type). So far, so good.

But now, the trouble starts. I wanted to manage my robots to deliver me the belts i need and at the same time take the belts i don't need from my inventory and put it as near as possible to the first chest (so i will just have one area for transportation). But i have absolutely no idea of how to do so!

If i have a requester-chest, it will get the belts from the provider chests near to it, so it will be full at some point.

Has anybody an idea of how to have a requester chest and a provider chest near each other without the requester gets the items from the provider, so the player is more important?
Factorio in a Nutshell
try and error, try and error, try and success
once again it is friday, once again i'm waiting for the news
hour for hour for hour it goes, where it stops nobody knows

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: How to have one place of chests?

Post by TN_Creator »

I saw a video from Arumba where he uses a mod to do so, setting a max amount of item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk

I'm at work right now so i can't check it but I think he lists the mods he uses at the start.

hope this helps!

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Also at work, so i will try it tonight and give some feedback and some screenshots too.

I also will try it without any mods...probably there is a trick of how to build it without mods. :)

But thx
Factorio in a Nutshell

Chromehound
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chromehound »

The bots will just go to nearest storage chest that has one of the item type in it already, or nearest empty. With the Logistics section of your inventory, you can have a set amount of any item and your bots will keep you topped off. They won't, however, take any excess you have unless you manually toss in the little trash can section of inventory.

If you want things in a certain section/chest- toss an item in there and see if they'll figure out to keep putting the same item you want into that chest.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

...try and error, try and error, try and success...

I will figure out how it works until sunday! :D
Factorio in a Nutshell

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

I had the same problem since I always put everything I do not need in the trash and because of that I end up with super messy storage chests. Finally fixed it the other day by sorting everything that ends up in a storage chest:

Here is the video of my Let´s Play where I build this design. Made it unlisted since it is supposed to go up in a couple days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg9gk86N-lI

You could also have requester chests for all the stuff you are producing and not use passive provider chest and instead steel or smart chest for your production. That would work but is annoying once you use robots to build big blueprints and want those to be able to access all your resources. :)
Last edited by daniel34 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image tag
Join me in my Factorio Let´s Play: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mulematsch

Return to “General discussion”