Hot Spot Repair Turrets?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Nubm2
Inserter
Inserter

Hot Spot Repair Turrets?

Post by Nubm2 »

Hi o/

After playing the vanilla game to the end (sending a satelite to space) i've started a new one with mods, including Bobsmod and Marathon. Now i really would like to add something that i missed all the time before: A unit that could be placed somewhere and repair stuff. Critters had some random attacks on my walls, but also has shown some patterns, resulting in hot spots, that were attacked very frequently.

I was looking around in the mod forums but couldnt find anything. I know construction drones can be used to repair and reinstall damaged structures, but to be honest, i never build those since they do not fit the theme IMO. They are balanced around energy consumption so they are an option but i was looking for something for the early mid-game anyways.

The general idea is, everything is atomated, so why do i have run around every time a well known hot spot is attacked to repair some minor scratches on turrets and walls, or spend tons of resources on flying drones that are clearly too much for the simple task?

What i had in mind (and as a mod suggestion) :
- A stationary robot, just like the long arm inserter, but instead of inserting it repairs damaged structures in a 3x3 grid (2 field range).
- Very slow repair rate, no influence on on-going combat.
- Can only repair one target at a time.
- Needs repair kits inserted (like ammo for gun turrets).
- Research path: long arm inserters.
- Not utterly expensive, but also not cheap to build. Also requires advanced circuits (the red ones).
- [optional] Priority Repair filter (5 slots, left with highest priority)

Is there something similar already in some mod that i've missed? Can this even be done, reusing a long inserter like that?

Any pointers, suggestions, insults (I'll take those too! If they are free of course), help or general commentarys welcomed!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hot Spot Repair Turrets?

Post by DaveMcW »

I agree, I think we need a mini-roboport dedicated to repairing. This would ease newbies into using robots.

Repair port stats
Unlocks at Robotics (also move Construction robot to Robotics)
Does not require advanced circuits (you still need batteries for the construction robots)
Small construction range
No logistics range

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

I like the idea of a Repair unit, perhaps an inserter like structure, with the size of 3x3, can repair at a certain radius, but slowly and only 1 at a time, and as you mentioned make it require repair packs.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I also really like this idea. It would provide a great early-mid game solution for automated repairing of stuff and make your life a lot easier not having to run around all the time repairing stuffs. xD
Hopefully someone with modding experience will see this and maybe give it a try.
Image Image Image

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I add my voice : a way to automate repairs mid-game would be so useful - and Factorio spirit compliant :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nubm2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nubm2 »

Had no luck so far with trying to write a mini-mod like that myself. I suck at programming. :l
Not giving up though!

Started another game with Marathon and Bob. Reinforced walls make it a little bit easier with the repair, but the problems are the range critters anyways. Also, even though they checked out my walls, they attack on certain hot spots again.

Attacks, as i see and feel it, are more of an annoyance than a 'real' part of the game. An repair unit could open up a much more interessting mid game experience, with more events to implementing the defense into the base itself. Laser turrets should have a heat mechanic to make them less reliable against constant bug appearance, while traps would really shine on repeatedly attacks (close range damage sources like flame-/chemical sprayers, electrocuters, pit traps with spikes, thumpers for bait etc.). Also Night time should greatly decrease turrets range and aim (unless lamps are out there to light the area up, which are of course a favored target for night bugs if undefended). Tower Defense without lanes. ^-^

Also when mid game passes into late game, the defense has grown and the next step would be flying repair drones. Which would be a great part of the game again, to reorganize everything, getting the reapir turrets out of the way (since they dont fit the needs anymore due to beeing outdamaged by bigger critters).

Thats more a stupid idea than a serious suggestion though. But besides that, repair turrets could be still a nice addition imo. All they really need is the long handed inserter model (maybe in white or silver) with an inventory slot to put the repair kits in.

Return to “General discussion”