New to Mods

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Skrillerman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New to Mods

Post by Skrillerman »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and my mother languague is not english.

I am playing factorio since a couple of weeks and i am interested into mods.

So here are some questions :

1. If I install a mod like the plane or nuclear-mod and create a map, am i able to remove the mod any time or is it linked to the map ?
2. Is it important to install a mod which is on the newest version or can it be a bit outdated.
3. Are there any mods which you would describe as "must-have-mods" ?
As example i am really interested into these 3 mods right now :
-viewtopic.php?f=144&t=21459 (laser beam turret)
-viewtopic.php?f=93&t=21676 (nuclear mod)
- (plane mod, which adds 3 gunplanes - cant find the link right now)

4. In other games ive experiences that the usage of many mods leads to bugs and game crashes. Does this happen in factorio too and how do i prevent it ?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New to Mods

Post by orzelek »

1. Mods can be added and removed. In most cases removal of mod will remove all it's entities etc - might leave your factory not working and you will need to fix it.
2. Usually latest version of mod is required. Sometimes due to game changes earlier versions might not work.
3. I'm not going anywhere without RSO, bob's and Natural Evolution and/or some science cost modifications. It's a personal choice usually and at first it might be easier to start with less mods.
4. Most of the popular mods are stable and using a lot of them doesn't cause issues. It also depends on mods a bit - some can be less compatible but they are usually fixed up by autohrs.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

3. Here's what I am using mainly:

- Use RSO for sure. It makes it so resources spawn bigger far away from your starting area, there are less resource fields around, but also less biters. It's great because you need to get out and build a railway network - there is no chance in hell you can get the ore you need by transport belts without torturing yourself. Great mod, must-have in my opinion.
- Bob's is pretty complicated, adds LOTS of new resources you need to handle (around 15-20?) I would recommend other mods first; if you want it more complicated (which doesn't have to be a bad thing) try this one. Your head will spin a bit, though
- Marathon makes the game a lot longer, and you'll build a much bigger factory (also, old builds don't work that good in marathon, you need to learn some builds from scratch)
- Railtanker adds fluid wagons for trains to the mix
- Landfill gives you the option to fill water areas with landfills crafted from stone
- gravestone-mod sets up a gravestone with all your stuff when you die, so it's not lost and you can get it back
- FATController lets you remote control your trains, edit schedules and so forth. Very handy
- YARM (Yet another resource monitor) lets you track your ore mines, by how much is left, how much you're extracting per minute and so on
- Treefarm is a completely new research tree to use regrowing trees and therefore wood for different stuff (a very simple thing you can do with this is producing coal out of wood)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

1. Most mods you can add or remove at will, but some of them that change items or recipes could leave some things not working in your factory if you take them away or even add them midway through.

2. Yes it is usually best to use the latest version of the mod. It will typically have the most features but also will be more likely to work with the latest version of Factorio. Usually in Mod forum thread it will say if it works with the latest versions of the game. :)

3. I would recommend FARL (automatic rail layer), YARM (a resource monitor thing), RSO (it spreads out the resources and enemies better than vanilla), and the ones you suggested are good too. I will warn you though that the nuclear power mod is quite complicated.

4.) Usually there shouldn't be issues unless you try an updated version of the mod or the game. Some mods don't work together but most do.
Image Image Image

Skrillerman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skrillerman »

ok thanks guys for the help :)

i really appreciate it

Return to “General discussion”