Mod packs with steam

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mod packs with steam

Post by provet »

Hi! Would it be possible to make a modpack (like popular mods put together, and that works together) and then put it up on the betas in steam. It could be with "enter beta code" and stuff so it isn't visible, clogging all the public updates. Give thoughts! :)

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mod packs with steam

Post by roy7 »

provet wrote:Hi! Would it be possible to make a modpack (like popular mods put together, and that works together) and then put it up on the betas in steam. It could be with "enter beta code" and stuff so it isn't visible, clogging all the public updates. Give thoughts! :)
Maybe the Steam Workshop will one day have mods in it, but for now you need to download them yourself. The main distrbution and beta channel are really just for the base game and experimental version. I don't think the devs will use Steam to try and distribute mods in that manner.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Mods are supposed to be available through an ingame mod management tool, using a portal so that even people who are not on steam may benefit from it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

Koub wrote:Mods are supposed to be available through an ingame mod management tool, using a portal so that even people who are not on steam may benefit from it.
wouldn't full steam integration be much more beneficial? it will be help protect the game from piracy, because you're locking out people who didn't buy the game from accessing mods, and people that aren't using steam yet, will just slowly relocate to steam, with the benefit of being able to play with friends by simply inviting them to play via steam, and not to mention it will be less stressful, less costly, and more efficient then creating a portal/website/database.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I personnally favor freedom of choice. I'd rather see the game available on Steam, the website, GoG, desura, and any other existing digital distribution platform, because it's good for the game. Compelling people to go through Steam will prevent some people from buying the game.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:and people that aren't using steam yet, will just slowly relocate to steam
No.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

Koub wrote:I personnally favor freedom of choice. I'd rather see the game available on Steam, the website, GoG, desura, and any other existing digital distribution platform, because it's good for the game. Compelling people to go through Steam will prevent some people from buying the game.
well I didn't know that this game was aiming to be published on other distribution platforms, ok then.
prg wrote:
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:and people that aren't using steam yet, will just slowly relocate to steam
No.
why not? its not like steam is a horrible game distribution site, and its pretty convenient being able to buy games with a press of a button, but as Koub said the game is aiming for other distribution platforms such as GoG, I just don't see why you're so against steam in general.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:why not? its not like steam is a horrible game distribution site, and its pretty convenient being able to buy games with a press of a button, but as Koub said the game is aiming for other distribution platforms such as GoG, I just don't see why you're so against steam in general.
No, it's not convenient. Without Steam, I just run ./thegame and it works, it doesn't get any easier. Also I don't like the feeling of constantly having someone watch over my shoulder and keeping detailed statistics of what I'm playing when for how long, how far I'm progressing in each game and wanting to tell the whole world about it. But I know I'm pretty alone with that sentiment.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

prg wrote:
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:why not? its not like steam is a horrible game distribution site, and its pretty convenient being able to buy games with a press of a button, but as Koub said the game is aiming for other distribution platforms such as GoG, I just don't see why you're so against steam in general.
No, it's not convenient. Without Steam, I just run ./thegame and it works, it doesn't get any easier. Also I don't like the feeling of constantly having someone watch over my shoulder and keeping detailed statistics of what I'm playing when for how long, how far I'm progressing in each game and wanting to tell the whole world about it. But I know I'm pretty alone with that sentiment.
well if you actually used steam, you would know it installs everything for you, including any software or API needed to run the game, it can even scan your hardware and check for driver updates if you give it permission to do so, its all automatic, and so what its keeping track of Gameplay hours, its not like people will say your lazy, its there just because, and if your scared of people stalking you, there's always a private setting which sets your profile to private, and nothing from it can be seen besides your user name.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:well if you actually used steam, you would know it installs everything for you, including any software or API needed to run the game, it can even scan your hardware and check for driver updates if you give it permission to do so, its all automatic, and so what its keeping track of Gameplay hours, its not like people will say your lazy, its there just because, and if your scared of people stalking you, there's always a private setting which sets your profile to private, and nothing from it can be seen besides your user name.
All of which doesn't adress the Problems that prg has with steam, which makes all of this moot.
For me, the game doesn't run with steam currently, so I'm playing without steam. And I play with a lot of mods.
The worst thing that could happen to me would be if steam would be mandatory for plying steam with mods.

Sorry, but that is basically the worst idea.
Having it support steam workshop is good, but steam being mandatory for playing with mods is an absolute no go.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:well if you actually used steam
I do have Steam installed.
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:you would know it installs everything for you, including any software or API needed to run the game
I'm using Linux, Steam doesn't know how to operate my package manager (not that I'd want it to)
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:it can even scan your hardware and check for driver updates if you give it permission to do so
Already have my package manager to keep my whole system up to date, don't need any help with that, thanks.
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:and so what its keeping track of Gameplay hours, its not like people will say your lazy, its there just because, and if your scared of people stalking you, there's always a private setting which sets your profile to private, and nothing from it can be seen besides your user name.
Or I could completely avoid even the possibility of any privacy concerns by simply not using Steam. It doesn't offer anything I'm interested in and just adds a layer of complexity to actually playing my games.

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

Yinan wrote:
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:well if you actually used steam, you would know it installs everything for you, including any software or API needed to run the game, it can even scan your hardware and check for driver updates if you give it permission to do so, its all automatic, and so what its keeping track of Gameplay hours, its not like people will say your lazy, its there just because, and if your scared of people stalking you, there's always a private setting which sets your profile to private, and nothing from it can be seen besides your user name.
All of which doesn't adress the Problems that prg has with steam, which makes all of this moot.
For me, the game doesn't run with steam currently, so I'm playing without steam. And I play with a lot of mods.
The worst thing that could happen to me would be if steam would be mandatory for plying steam with mods.

Sorry, but that is basically the worst idea.
Having it support steam workshop is good, but steam being mandatory for playing with mods is an absolute no go.
as I mentioned previously, I had no idea Factorio was aiming for other distribution platforms, so you can throw that idea out the window now, thank you, and so did mine, Factorio crashed the first time I started it on steam, all I needed to do was ask for help, and a moderator by the name of Daniel helped me with it, all I had to do was add a command line, and it now runs, and there's no doubt this won't be fixed soon.
and again what was Prg's problem with steam which makes all of this moot? its all 1 setup time, and all of his concerns can be addressed with the ones which I just said, the only issue I can see are the payment methods, and buying games from steam is easy, 2 buttons and your done, its yours download it, and play it.
prg wrote:
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:well if you actually used steam
I do have Steam installed.
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:you would know it installs everything for you, including any software or API needed to run the game
I'm using Linux, Steam doesn't know how to operate my package manager (not that I'd want it to)
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:it can even scan your hardware and check for driver updates if you give it permission to do so
Already have my package manager to keep my whole system up to date, don't need any help with that, thanks.
Fair enough.
prg wrote:
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:and so what its keeping track of Gameplay hours, its not like people will say your lazy, its there just because, and if your scared of people stalking you, there's always a private setting which sets your profile to private, and nothing from it can be seen besides your user name.
Or I could completely avoid even the possibility of any privacy concerns by simply not using Steam. It doesn't offer anything I'm interested in and just adds a layer of complexity to actually playing my games.
well if you don't like the convenience of not standing up and not running to a store and buying games easily by the press of 2 buttons and possible sales which is an opportunity to buy games cheaper then it usually costs, the suit yourself.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:well if you don't like the convenience of not standing up and not running to a store and buying games easily by the press of 2 buttons and possible sales which is an opportunity to buy games cheaper then it usually costs, the suit yourself.
It's not like Steam is the only way of buying games online. I managed to buy Factorio right from the website just fine and there are other stores that sell DRM free games that don't require a third party client to play which also have sales from time to time.

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

prg wrote:
ShizukaMiyuki wrote:well if you don't like the convenience of not standing up and not running to a store and buying games easily by the press of 2 buttons and possible sales which is an opportunity to buy games cheaper then it usually costs, the suit yourself.
It's not like Steam is the only way of buying games online. I managed to buy Factorio right from the website just fine and there are other stores that sell DRM free games that don't require a third party client to play which also have sales from time to time.
yes but for me, its much more convenient to have all my owned games listed, and available in one place, rather then buying it from different websites, and if I remember correctly you don't like any or most of your personal information stored in a digital distribution platform, so a most of these put you off doesn't it? but hey as I said suit yourself, was only interested why you disliked steam so much.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:if I remember correctly you don't like any or most of your personal information stored in a digital distribution platform, so a most of these put you off doesn't it? but hey as I said suit yourself, was only interested why you disliked steam so much.
Sure it's not perfect, but with other stores my interaction is limited to "take my money, let me download the game" and that's it. Way less invasive than the Steam client.

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

I'm feeling it's starting to get off topic: hate steam vs love steam.

My suggestion is only to have steam betas as an alternative to how feed the beast did it with their packs. (which ended up on its own site etc, and then finally as its own launcher.) It's just that.. I'd like the community to create mod packs that the devs could feature somewhere, easily available and ready to download for as many as possible. If they're on steam that also means lesser data-traffic for the devs own servers (read that friday fact about high-res pictures being downloaded for a total of over 8 terrabites).

And why not on steam as any other place? Workshop (probably) won't integrate mods into packs, only as separate mods. Meaning no balancing or compatibility between mods in a pack if you put that pack together yourself on the workshop. I also would like to see that Factorio gets a vanilla launcher in the future so you can manage mods and such (read news even) before launching the game, regardless of the dependence of steam.

Return to “General discussion”