How well does this game run on laptops?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
aahrg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How well does this game run on laptops?

Post by aahrg »

I have a laptop with an i5 4200u and integrated graphics. Anyone with a similar setup know how well this game runs? I'm going away for a bit and need something to occupy me, so I was thinking of picking up this game.

Of course I'd play it on my powerful desktop when I get back, but for now the laptop performance is key in my decision making. I'm willing to downgrade on graphics settings if need be.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How well does this game run on laptops?

Post by Koub »

According to what I've seen, you laptop should run the game fine. Maybe not enough to run the biggest possible megabase without some performance issue though.
The integrated intel graphics makes use of up to 2 GB of memory. Be sure you give the game anything between 512 MB (minimum) and 1 GB (comfort).

As for pure performance, you might want to get a look at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18128.
Many people have given some kind of performance measurement under similar conditions. It's not perfect, but you can get the idea of what your laptop can do by comparing your CPU with the one people have posted.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Factorio runs even on my truly vintage MacBook 2008 with only 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - just fine, smooth like butter and without delays.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Factorio runs superbly on my thinkpad which has an i7 and integrated graphics (it's not my gaming computer, but as it happens I did start playing Factorio when I was away on a trip, so I'm very familiar with how well Factorio runs on my laptop). It's a very well optimized game and not demanding on hardware. A big enough factory will slow down anything, but that's like really really really big, the kind of thing you wont build in the normal course of play but only if you're completely obsessed with the game and have hundreds of hours to sink into a single factory.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

You'll do fine.
I'm running on a laptop with i5 3210m, and integrated Intel graphics.

You may need to scale down to lower graphics, and you may get slowdowns with mega-factories (over 10K iron per minute), but it will take you tens of hours to get there.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Should work good! I play mostly on my laptop which is about 6 years old has i7 2.3ghz and a decent graphics card, but the laptop has some issues so it is slow to begin with and still runs the game fine. Most the time I get 60fps except for the occasional drop to about 40fps for a few seconds.
Image Image Image

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

It runs pretty well on my laptop, 6GB ram and integrated graphics card. I've only noticed an FPS drop from 60 to about 45 in areas where there is a lot of smoke.

Predella
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Predella »

run's pretty well on my macbook pro 2015 - played 4+ hours stright on one battery charge... :D :)

Return to “General discussion”