How Many Takes for the Trailer?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
CodeCube
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How Many Takes for the Trailer?

Post by CodeCube »

Did you film actual Factorio footage in the trailer? If so, how many tries (and extra helping code) did it take to get the timing to work out just right?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: How Many Takes for the Trailer?

Post by Twinsen »

Do you mean the gameplay trailer(the one with the narrator), or the other one?

All of the footage was rendered by the Factorio engine. We used video screen capture or screenshot sequences to create the videos.

The gameplay trailer(the one with the narrator) was mostly done by moving the camera around. Some scenes took a few takes, some scenes probably 50 takes.
Some scenes, like the multiplayer one were fully scripted(the original multiplayer scene was also much longer)
The timelapse scene(the one with the factory growing) was done by taking huge screenshots every couple of seconds and then rendering them into a video.
And also there were tons of scenes that were recorded and ended up being discarded.

As for the other trailer(the one with the music): It is basically a mod with a scenario. All the camera movements and map interactions were done by a lua script that uses the same API as mods. The script is ~1850 lines long.
We would tweak the script, then run the script and watch the animations, until the timings with the music were correct. That script was probably run about 500-1000 times until we were kind of happy with the results.

Maybe if many people are interested, we can write a FFF about the details of how the trailers were created, possibly showing some extended and discarded scenes. Could be interesting.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Twinsen wrote:... Maybe if many people are interested, we can write a FFF about the details of how the trailers were created, possibly showing some extended and discarded scenes. Could be interesting.
Oh you know they would be :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

Rseding91 wrote:
Twinsen wrote:... Maybe if many people are interested, we can write a FFF about the details of how the trailers were created, possibly showing some extended and discarded scenes. Could be interesting.
I have a feeling that the people who play this game are the same people who want to know how the sausage is made.

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sure we are interested in the creation of the trailers (I assume I am not the only one which is interested in this ;) )
What about a small poll to see the tendencies?

Return to “General discussion”