Request for a Diss-assembler / De-constructor

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Request for a Diss-assembler / De-constructor

Post by TheSAguy »

I find that I have a lot of older tech just sitting in my Inventory and would love to be able to diss-assemble them and regain some raw materials from them. Maybe not 100% recovery, but 50% or 75%.

I just like keeping things tidy and don’t just want to dump them in a storage box.

Thanks.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Request for a Diss-assembler / De-constructor

Post by Dysoch »

TheSAguy wrote:I find that I have a lot of older tech just sitting in my Inventory and would love to be able to diss-assemble them and regain some raw materials from them. Maybe not 100% recovery, but 50% or 75%.

I just like keeping things tidy and don’t just want to dump them in a storage box.

Thanks.
dytech has an recycler which works great (but thats my opinion :P)

ill release it as a seperate mod in a few days
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Yeah I found this to be somewhat of an annoyance myself. If people didn't want a 'recycle' because it would be too complicated or whatever. There could just be a slot or 'chest' that you can toss stuff into to destroy it. Aka a rubbish/garbage. I know there has been a few good idea directions floating around with regards to waste/recycling but really in my games the main issue is just getting rid of unwanted items taking up space. I hate having to make a chest, stick unwanted items in it and destroy the chest with car/shotgun just to 'dispose' of unwanted leftover items. Like burner inserters. They're great for when you still use them. But once you have enough technology and a decent sized factory they are completely pointless for anything except maybe... MAYBE a low-tech expansion. But even then you'd be better off using solar + Effectivity modules and Accumulators.

Pandamonium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pandamonium »

I came here to look for a solution, but i guess blowing up a chest works. :)

The other idea i had was to build a "landfill" of chests for garbage...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

With the oil industry coming there will be more need than before for disposing of unwanted stuff (oil is split into three separate products and maybe not all of them the player can use at the time - and the storage is limited). So eventually (though probably not 0.9) a garbage disposal will be introduced which will just burn the inputs (and maybe give some elemental ingredients back).

EDIT: Together with this the destroying of chests might be penalized by very high pollution - in the garbage disposal the pollution would rather low I suppose - to justify the change.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

slpwnd wrote:With the oil industry coming there will be more need than before for disposing of unwanted stuff (oil is split into three separate products and maybe not all of them the player can use at the time - and the storage is limited). So eventually (though probably not 0.9) a garbage disposal will be introduced which will just burn the inputs (and maybe give some elemental ingredients back).
Good to finally hear some staff response on this.

Telarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Telarin »

Just some thoughts on your comment about the oil industry:

If as you say, oil is distilled into 3 components, there should be dedicated facilities to convert those 3 components into each other:
Catalytic cracking allows one to break heavier hydrocarbons into lighter hydrocarbons, but obviously would need some kind of catalyst.
Reforming allows one to turn lighter hydrocarbons into heavier hydrocarbons.

In this way, all of the oil can be used, it just requires some extra effort and energy to turn it all into what you need.

Also, a common method of getting rid of unwanted components in oil refining (those that cannot be usefully cracked or reformed) is to simply use them in power generation at the oil refinery. Some kind of option like this where we could direct overflow to a gas turbine or similar generator would be a nice way of handling unwanted/unneeded products.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Telarin wrote:Just some thoughts on your comment about the oil industry:

If as you say, oil is distilled into 3 components, there should be dedicated facilities to convert those 3 components into each other:
Catalytic cracking allows one to break heavier hydrocarbons into lighter hydrocarbons, but obviously would need some kind of catalyst.
Reforming allows one to turn lighter hydrocarbons into heavier hydrocarbons.

In this way, all of the oil can be used, it just requires some extra effort and energy to turn it all into what you need.

Also, a common method of getting rid of unwanted components in oil refining (those that cannot be usefully cracked or reformed) is to simply use them in power generation at the oil refinery. Some kind of option like this where we could direct overflow to a gas turbine or similar generator would be a nice way of handling unwanted/unneeded products.
Good ideas! I was thinking about recombining the elements coming from the oil refinery earlier though I wasn't sure if it was chemically feasible (not that it would be sufficient argument not to do that, but certain adherence to reality is nice:)).

I think it slowly starts to shape - oil refinery for breaking the elements and chemical plant to potentially connecting them again.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Did you read my post in the original oil-thread? It would make these converters more ore less obsolete or at least optional. And yes, you can convert the heavy fractions by cracking into lighter fractions. Therefore I would not split the crude oil directly into "plastics aka polymeres or fuel" but into "Natural gas", "light oil" and "heavy oil", and these then are processed further

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2093

CherryKiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CherryKiss »

I was just dropping some stuff into my "garbage chest" when I thought of the same thing...a recycler of some sort would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing what oil has to offer, but quite happy on my third game in 8.8 now! :D glad I discovered this game thanks to a youtuber's letsplay....

Wish you guys would get going on getting this greenlit on Steam! The game runs great and is more deserving of the sales Steam would offer than most other early access games on Steam!

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

slpwnd wrote:With the oil industry coming there will be more need than before for disposing of unwanted stuff (oil is split into three separate products and maybe not all of them the player can use at the time - and the storage is limited). So eventually (though probably not 0.9) a garbage disposal will be introduced which will just burn the inputs (and maybe give some elemental ingredients back).

EDIT: Together with this the destroying of chests might be penalized by very high pollution - in the garbage disposal the pollution would rather low I suppose - to justify the change.
I'm suddenly really liking the idea of an early-tech garbage dump that burns away anything you put into it (would require a fuel source, of course) at the cost of high pollution (and thus angrier natives) while a medium-tech facility would have a lower pollution output (but require a secondary liquid component) and a high-tech recycling facility would actually spit out base components of whatever you threw in, having a container similar to a small chest.

Return to “General discussion”