Looking for advice on Youtube videos, and later streaming

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Looking for advice on Youtube videos, and later streaming

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Hello all, I am now in a position where I can hopefully do some Youtube content and then maybe graduate to doing Twitch stuff later on once I'm more comfortable with my live performance.

Does anyone have some advice on starting into video production for Factorio? I've already got OBS installed, and I've done a little bit of voice work to hopefully make my voice acceptable to listen to.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Looking for advice on Youtube videos, and later streaming

Post by Klonan »

I have some recommendations,
Factorio is best viewed at 60fps, so best to record at 60fps too.
Turn off clouds in graphics, clouds looks strange when compressed and stuff,
And also i suggest to increase GUI size so people can see it clearer.
I also suggest you record from OBS in 'Encode in full range' which you can find in advanced settings.

I hope this helps

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

My computer can't always do 60 FPS in Factorio, depending on the base size and other stuff. On Youtube I'd be inclined to record at 30 FPS and 720p. With Twitch I don't know if I'd be able to do that much, but I've noticed streamers can get along fine with lower quality video as long as it can still be seen what's going on and there's enough interaction between the streamer and their audience to make things enjoyable.

The other recommendations I'll definitely do.

I will also be disabling pollution on the minimap in detailed mode to make it easier to see.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

A few tips, most of which you probably notice in my videos anyway, but oh well. :p

Factorio related:
- Try to do some of the boring work either off-screen or in a timelaspes style. For example, the first 10-15 minutes or so of setting up all the burner stuff and running around like a crazy person. Lol
- Depending on what type of videos your doing (LP, tutorials, etc) and your knowledge base, try to explain stuff as your doing it. Not necessarily like your explaining to a complete noob, but kind of tell people why your doing something a certain way, etc.

General:
- Depending on how much background noise you have wherever you are recording, I would definitely suggest either using Audacity or something similar where you can remove that background stuff, or use the noise gate thing on OBS. One of the worst things when watching a video is hearing like a constant buzzing or something from the computer or anything else. :p
- Not totally necessary, but it can be good to do some short test recording and upload them as private just to make sure there aren't problems. For example, when I record on my laptop, the resolution isn't 16:9 so it gets black bars on the edges on YT even though it looks fine when viewed locally.

Last quick thing. Based on what I've seen, you really know your stuff when it comes to balancers and such, I think it would be great to see some videos going over that kind of stuff. Small balancing stuff I can do no problem, but bigger ones just turn my brain to mush. Lol
Image Image Image

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

My intent for my first two videos is to show that concrete terrain glitch I posted about a while ago at https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=18645 and to highlight the problems that arise with trains due to the locomotives being 7.9 units long and the wagons being 7.3. The concrete one will be quite easy and I might just go with that first since it's already set up to do some recording for the testing. The train one I've mostly got the stuff together such as different tracks laid down and labeled and each cargo wagon length I want to talk about modded into the game, but there's still plenty of work to do there before I feel comfortable starting that video. I've already got an outline for how I want to talk.

I guess it's time to just dive into the video with the concrete one, then use what I learn from that to do the train.

Oh, Xterminator, your signature here has the typo "Buidling Big" from your Youtube series.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Hm, something I just thought about: My Factorio, Youtube, Twitch, and Reddit accounts are all different. Pretty similar, but still different. I guess now would be a good time to combine them all and/or make new accounts?

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

My YouTube channel doesn't use my name. Maybe that's not the best? I have been going by the name Buggi since the mid 1990's, though it's hard to get that name on many sites.
So my channel is call Flexible Games, because I like to play games that offer open-ended or modable gameplay.

I upload 720p videos at 30fps, mainly due to my horrible internet connection. Videos average 500 megs each which take me about 2 hours to upload. Check it out if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtOba ... yeR9ABFvIw
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, I keep it here, but keep in mind, that we have an extra board for such posts.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=54
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I have made my first video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1c2W8Kuyqc. It shows the concrete glitch that can happen when placing or removing concrete (or stone brick paths) that can change the landscape around it.

The things I noticed for my first video:

I should cut the first and last few seconds where I use OBS to start and stop recording. Does OBS allow for some editing like that? I'll need to find that if so. If not, I'll need to find another program to do it.
I should work on how often I use "Um" and other such filler words, but that's often a given and I'm not as bad as many others.
The resolution isn't 16:9, so I might eventually want to get a monitor that is, but my current 16:10 isn't so bad.

Does anyone have other comments or criticisms? From here on I'll be making a thread in the Videos subforum. Now that I've got a start on videos I intend on making several more.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Why did I point explicitly to the Video subboard above? :(
Closed thread instead of moving cause of useful information in the beginning.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”