Is there a way to mine faster?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Antmf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is there a way to mine faster?

Post by Antmf »

I just started playing and I am addicted:) I am researching and stuff but wanted to know if there is a way to gather mats faster. The electric miners I have are getting kind of slow because I want to start banging out the research and I can not produce iron fast as I would like. PLease let me know. Thanks...

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is there a way to mine faster?

Post by LoSboccacc »

they can accept up to three module, both production and speed module would accomplish that (never tried the production module)

note that the miners mine a bit around them, in a 5x5 area, so if you pack them close you can get more miner per deposit increasing the output

Antmf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antmf »

HOw do you put the modules in them? How does that work? I clicked on miners but it doesnt come up with a menu that would allow me to put modules in.
NM I see how to put them in there? What category are they under to be researched?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

If you're looking for cheaty methods of mining faster, the miners are tweakable to produce as fast as you like in demo-mining-drill.lua (located at \data\base\prototypes\entity)
Specifically this line: "mining_speed = 3" Higher = Faster. 30 will let one drill keep a standard belt filled.

Just remember to revert this back to the stock 3, or you'll lose fun in setting up massive mining fields to fill your belts. (and/or gain tedium from moving one drill many many times :p)

Oh, and modules are under "Advanced Electronics" for research. And only Electric miners can use them. Not burner drills.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Antmf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Antmf »

Thank you. I rather not mess with the script and just play game as is. I just wish there was a way to speed up time because research is taking a long time and making numerous science paks etc. take forever.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Antmf wrote:Thank you. I rather not mess with the script and just play game as is. I just wish there was a way to speed up time because research is taking a long time and making numerous science paks etc. take forever.
Research takes long, in the meantime, you can search for expansions, once you find these solve logistics and bring more materials to your factory. After that you can optimise the bottlenecks in your production, or optimise it in different ways

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I would say both, mostly the former.
Can be useful to search the tech tree to plot out your best route for research based on how your terrain and resources look.
(i.e. No nearby resources after your initial fields, need to focus on either express belts or trains, as well as production modules. Lots of creeper bases, need to get laser turrets quickly. etc.)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Antmf wrote:I just wish there was a way to speed up time
There actually is a console command for that :) game.speed=x 1 is normal speed and anything higher well, is faster :) Useful for testing or when you are waiting for something and don't feel like doing anything else until you have it. There is always the option of having a mining deposit (or more) just for research and 100+ labs, a bit overkill imo but completely possible
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 3LollipopZ »

just build 300 mines.
transport (rail or belt) hundreds of blue,red,green,pink to your 50 research stations and boom! research will pop out in no time.

Return to “General discussion”