I need More power, Do you?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
gothraga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I need More power, Do you?

Post by gothraga »

This is killing me.
I have 2700 solar panels 80 steam moters pumping away and all i can think is.... We need better power options!
Wheres our Nuke Gens? Or hell even a Biter on a hamster wheel!

Do y'all feel the power option's need expantion, or am i off on this one Please leave a comment.

Much Respect
Gothraga

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I need More power, Do you?

Post by ssilk »

Use green modules to reduce power consumption. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

2700 solar panels? Oh my gosh. That's so cute. I just want to pinch your cheeks, gothraga.

If you are having trouble with base expansion, it is time to learn about blueprints.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

gothraga wrote:This is killing me.
I have 2700 solar panels 80 steam moters pumping away and all i can think is.... We need better power options!
Wheres our Nuke Gens? Or hell even a Biter on a hamster wheel!

Do y'all feel the power option's need expantion, or am i off on this one Please leave a comment.

Much Respect
Gothraga
If you're looking for more power production options, and dont mind using mods, i reccomend KS power
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=18596
It adds new ways to generate power

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

I hate the power production too. Takes up way too much space. That's why I added an 'overpowerd wind turbine' to my mod. It produces 13Gw of power for 1 wood each available at the start.
It's my cheaty why of fixing the problem.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 16#p118016

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Hehe, in another thread people were complaining that solar panels are overpowered, they are 20 times better than real life. You can't please everyone. :P

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

80 steam generators? thats it? I generally have 240 of them by mid-game, and generally go over 600 by the time I quit a world. After all, Its a great way to sink excess oil, and is a bit more fun than solar panel fields.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

MAD-Kuzia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MAD-Kuzia »

gothraga wrote:This is killing me.
I have 2700 solar panels 80 steam moters...
Only 2700? Hmm, 8400 is not enough for my base already :mrgreen: . But I use steam - only as backup power (finally made a fully deciders combinators based switch scheme ;) ).

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

DaveMcW wrote:Hehe, in another thread people were complaining that solar panels are overpowered, they are 20 times better than real life. You can't please everyone. :P
With that thread it depends on who you ask: For me, the heart of the complaint is less "Solar is OP!" and more "This powerful system is boring."
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

Somewhere around 28k solar panels and 600 steam engines... yeah, some improved power generation technology would be nice. Maybe advanced solar panels that require blue circuits to build? Outside modules, those things do not see that much use.

Raizune
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raizune »

Geothermal! Biomass! (Scrap corpses to turn into fuel, don't question my logic on that.) Hydroelectric!

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

Raizune wrote:Hydroelectric!
...which would need rivers and waterfalls, the difference in height would require the devs to make the world 3D, which is not an easy change.
Of course i want hydroelectric power to, because im norwegian and we get almost all of our electric power from hydro plants, but i do also believe this is one of those things that will never happen ... :(
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Alekthefirst wrote:
Raizune wrote:Hydroelectric!
...which would need rivers and waterfalls, the difference in height would require the devs to make the world 3D, which is not an easy change.
Rivers and waterfalls wouldn't necessarily require the game to be in 3D. The sprites can surely be modelled in a way to give them the look as if there's a waterfall and/or difference in height despite being in 2D. Take a look back at Super Mario World, where the world map was a 2D projection as well. If they could do it back then in 1990 I think that our Factorio Developers are capable of way, waaayyy better sprites as late as 2016.

I am more concerned that there would never be enough rivers and waterfalls to satisfy the demand of power, rendering it more an "optional" bonus rather than something to rely on.

If they ever implement additional ways for power production then it would have to be something that is not bound to a specific location and how many of those locations are available. Steam Engines are already bound enough for that matter. Finding a straight-edged shoreline that actually supports enough Steam Engines can be quite a pain already.

That said I might be convinced to add additional "location bound" ways to produce power, but then the existing ones, especially solar panels would have to be rebalanced quite a lot to encourage people not to solely rely on 1 kind of energy source, otherwise people will continue to stamp solar panel/accumulator blueprints all over the place. The "plop&forget" feeling of solar energy is something I despise anyways and which should have been dealt with a long time ago with adding an "upkeep"-element to accumulators, like the batteries wearing off over time from continuous charge/discharge and having to be replaced every now and then by new ones to maintain efficiency. Then people would rely a lot less on Solar Energy (and Wind-energy for the matter as well if that becomes a thing). In my personal opinion it's just not good balancing if one feature is clearly superior to another because it has no disadvantages.
The Phoenixian wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:Hehe, in another thread people were complaining that solar panels are overpowered, they are 20 times better than real life. You can't please everyone. :P
With that thread it depends on who you ask: For me, the heart of the complaint is less "Solar is OP!" and more "This powerful system is boring."
Exactly. I hate Solar energy just for that reason. With every panel you place down you kill a bit of your "weird machinery/contraption doing something"-fun. :D

delus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by delus »

I actually really like the idea of accumulator upkeep. Something like needing to top up the sulfuric acid every once and a while or replacing the electrodes would be fun. Just as long as it adds to the automation of my factory :). As for more powerful generators I wouldn't be against it but don't think it's strictly necessary. Something that could run without a water source but needed some interesting processing of fuels/reaction materials wouldn't feel out of place.

Return to “General discussion”