Data center

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Data center

Post by vanatteveldt »

Factorio has a ton of relevant data which can be accessed in the interface, such as electicity consumption/production, items production/consumption, items/signals in circuit network etc.

However, my inner data geek would like to be able to do more with this data. As far as I know, you can't chart signals over time, and you can't get production per outpost/factory segment, and you can't inspect production/consumption of rare items because they drop off the list, and some items are not on the production charts (IIRC ores aren't given)

I propose a way to be able to chart and export all such data. This can be in the form of a "data warehouse" building that you connect with an electicity grid, circuit network and/or logistics network. This should allow you to get in-game graphs over time of all data points (with an interface similar to the electicity/item production/consumption, but specific for that grid/network), and export the historical data to a csv file, e.g. with amounts for each second. Also possible without a specific building if you give a more sophisticated interface (over-time plotting) and/or export functions to the signals and logistics storage panes.

If you give the data warehouse a in-game screen or gauge (or as a separate building), you can also create a sort of analytics center in your factory (although this is partially possible (and I admit, more nerdy) with indicator lights, so maybe this is redundant)

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Data center

Post by Gouada »

As this is something that is more user specific it probably won't be implemented anytime soon. The devs don't currently have the time to work on this when some major parts of the game need polishing.
However, I think that this is a great idea and would love to see it as a mod. I'd suggest you write your idea in the Modding Discussions topic and see if someone will make it, or better yet, if you can make it yourself! :P
No, I'm not a piece of cheese! :D

Return to “General discussion”