Is there a way to see accumulator capacity graph

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Is there a way to see accumulator capacity graph

Post by Ardagan »

Hi,

The question is simple: is there a way to see the graph that shows how much energy stored in accumulator?

This comes especially handy when you want to switch to solar power.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a way to see accumulator capacity graph

Post by n9103 »

No graph is available for *just* accumulators, but an overall power grid graph is available by Right Clicking on any power pole.

E: Been awhile, sorry. Mixed up my R-click and E functions.
Last edited by n9103 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

A graph? As far as I know there is no graph for that, but I'm not exactly sure why you would need a graph specifically. If you right click on an electricity pole connected to the grid which has Accumulators, the third value will show your total accumulator capacity both in numerical and bar form. I am really not sure what exactly you would want 'graphed' given that what you'd actually be graphing is the power filling or depleting rather than the raw capacity. Which can be seen in graph form by looking at the appropriate color in relation to Accumulators on the grid.

Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ardagan »

Well,
I want to see history of how much energy is left in accumulators.
What I can see now:
1) current capacity
2) History of power output of accumulators

Why I want history of capacity (current, not total):
When I switch to solar power or use laser turrets, I want to see if I go out of accumulators power during night or active defense and the percentage of capacity left when the day starts. This will give proper picture of if the network is overloaded or is close to collapse.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

You're just going to have to be monitoring your network with the r-click graphs during the times you want accurate measurements on currently stored energy.
The general info you're asking for is already there. If you don't see your capacitors in your output panel at night, then that means your steam engines cover all the required power. (Steam engines need to be taken off the grid if you want accumulators to pick up the slack first. There are several methods on the forums to accomplish this.)
If you see your accumulator output suddenly drop to zero, then you know you ran out at that point.
If it never zeroes out before the solar takes up the slack, then you know you're not running past capacity.

There's no real point to plotting total capacity in the graphs, as they're cluttered enough really, and that figure on it's own is less useful than the figures already present that will let you infer the figure you're looking for.

In addition to the above, plotting out the capacity would require yet another graph, as the graphs measure supply and demand, and are rather different units. (Watts vs Joules)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Have a different opinion. An extra line in the history-graph with the current load-state of the accus would make much sense.
I would like to have an extra window for that, painting in all the other informations, which cannot be sorted into one of the others. This window needs also not to be so big.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

That line then loses all but relative meaning, as it will be using different units than anything else being graphed, making it no more useful than looking at accu output.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Ardagan wrote:Well,
I want to see history of how much energy is left in accumulators.
What I can see now:
1) current capacity
2) History of power output of accumulators

Why I want history of capacity (current, not total):
When I switch to solar power or use laser turrets, I want to see if I go out of accumulators power during night or active defense and the percentage of capacity left when the day starts. This will give proper picture of if the network is overloaded or is close to collapse.
Hmm I kind of get what you're saying, but that seems somewhat over the top really. You can very easily tell just by watching your power grid whether or not your accumulators and panels can sustain you through the night. Sort of seems like the level of diagnostics you are after might be a bit over the top imo. Not to say it isn't a good idea or anything. Just seems like a very isolated and complex piece of information.

I guess the main point is that you can already get this information yourself, it just takes a bit of effort and monitoring on your part. I love statistics and graphing things, but I think this is just one thing that really doesn't need to be graphed. If you can't work out from your own grid monitoring whether or not your grid is sustainable then you aren't really trying. Especially considering how unpredictable it can be when your laser towers are all firing. But this is a good thing imo. Otherwise it'd be easymode. But really, if you are unsure of your capacity. Build more accumulators. You can never have 'enough' accumulators. Aside from the materials they cost to make they have no downsides. Sure they take up a bit of space, but so does everything else. If you are unsure of your power throughput. Add more generators. Be it steam or solar. Or whatever new ones they add.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Same opinion. Currently we have all, what's needed, but in future we have eventually other accus, or we have a water-pump-storage(?) or any other kind of energy device (wind) and then the view into the total state of my accus is no luxury, it's really needed.

And so I want to keep it: currently, the information is really enough, but when new elements of power generation or storage or power switching elements come into play, then we need more information.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

ssilk wrote:Same opinion. Currently we have all, what's needed, but in future we have eventually other accus, or we have a water-pump-storage(?) or any other kind of energy device (wind) and then the view into the total state of my accus is no luxury, it's really needed.

And so I want to keep it: currently, the information is really enough, but when new elements of power generation or storage or power switching elements come into play, then we need more information.
Oh yeah, once alternatives come into play we'll definitely need more intuitive information with regards to them. But 'history' on Accumulators or storage may not be the way to go specifically. What would be better in the long-term would be an entire custom statistics panel 'engine' with which you can derive your own statistics and snap in and customize the information you want displayed. Not to replace the current information graphs, because those are awesome. Just as a long-term possibility. Either that or have a 'custom' tab in the current statistics panel that gives you additional statistics/graph options that are less common/needed etc.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Perhaps it's needed to try it out, which is needed.

Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ardagan »

Zombiewhisperer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zombiewhisperer »

Maybe the gods at Factorio can bestow on us an ability within the game to run a report on any of the items, biters killed, robots built, energy stored, etc.....
Till they bring back Zamot and Tomax to GIJoe,
Make Mine Marvel

ZombieWhisperer

Return to “General discussion”