Unfinite resources

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Unfinite resources

Post by Ardagan »

Hi,

It is just a matter of pure interest, but the question is: is it possible to create a map where all resources never end?

It will still be a valid gameplay, however here you can infinitely optimize and change your gameplay/producing pipelines without need to relocate.

I tried to find this option in game settings or in editor, but didn't manage to. So does it exist or can it be added to game?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Unfinite resources

Post by FreeER »

All resources, not without a mod, would be a simple one though. but there are two ways I can think of to change nearby resources to never run out, one is to go into the map editor and decrease the resource amount to a negative number. Since the game does not destroy the resource if it's value is less than 0 when you mine it just continues decreasing. Technically this would probably underflow back to a positive number after about 4 billion resources have been mined but... that is still ALOT of resources, plus another 4 billion before it reaches 0 and is actually destroyed. You could also do this ingame by opening the console and using

Code: Select all

game.player.selected.amount=-1
while hovering over some resources. To do a lot of them quickly you should be able to do something like

Code: Select all

table=game.findentitiesfiltered{type="resource", area={{game.player.position.x-100, game.player.position.y-100},{game.player.position.x+100, game.player.position.y+100}}}
for _, resource in pairs(table) do resource.amount=-1 end
that would search for any resources in an area of 100x100 around the player and set their amounts to -1 (or unfinite/infinite)
This is assuming this hasn't been 'fixed' but I can't remember seeing it fixed so feel free to try it and find out.

edit: quick test and this is still working in 0.8.2.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ardagan »

Thank you FreeER. The code worked. Though I think it would be much easier if this option would be added as default in-game option, not a hack.

And I agree that 2^64 is big enough number to consider infinite :)

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Ardagan wrote:Thank you FreeER. The code worked. Though I think it would be much easier if this option would be added as default in-game option, not a hack.

And I agree that 2^64 is big enough number to consider infinite :)
No problem, and I agree it'd be better to have it as an option. And yes 2^64 is practically infinite. Also, considering the ease and simplicity of doing so I went ahead and created the mod for it :) You can get it here if you would like it.
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Imo if that were to be added as an option, it should actually be added as a separate game mode, or a special 'flag' that can be attributed to resources via the map editor. Honestly when I wanna test in that sense I simply use the map editor to make a map with so many resources that I can't really hope to run out anyway. If you really want infinite, you might as well create a "omniresource' device that magically produces the core components out of nothing that you can then dump into chests or onto belts.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

TGS wrote:Imo if that were to be added as an option, it should actually be added as a separate game mode, or a special 'flag' that can be attributed to resources via the map editor.
I'd treat it either as an option like 'peaceful mode' or as an option in the resource richness, depending upon if you wanted people to be able to make specific resources infinite. I suppose it is useful for 'survival building', you still get the feeling of building everything yourself and having to fight off biters without the worry (or hassle) of running out of resources. I don't really care to play with infinite resources myself and it's not good for testing because of mods like blast mining and it's easier to simply have chests of resources spawned in (maybe for dytech's mining machines though). It's quite simple though and some people do like it so why not have it as an option?
TGS wrote: "omniresource' device that magically produces the core components out of nothing that you can then dump into chests or onto belts.
Reminds me of the "Full Chests" from the testmode mod :) Though with the larger mods it's simply not organized enough to find everything (items overload the page lol)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

Lol. This would drive my OCD nuts! There would always be that one resource patch in the way of my base plans that I'd just have to mine before continuing. :P

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

FreeER wrote:
TGS wrote:Imo if that were to be added as an option, it should actually be added as a separate game mode, or a special 'flag' that can be attributed to resources via the map editor.
I'd treat it either as an option like 'peaceful mode' or as an option in the resource richness, depending upon if you wanted people to be able to make specific resources infinite. I suppose it is useful for 'survival building', you still get the feeling of building everything yourself and having to fight off biters without the worry (or hassle) of running out of resources. I don't really care to play with infinite resources myself and it's not good for testing because of mods like blast mining and it's easier to simply have chests of resources spawned in (maybe for dytech's mining machines though). It's quite simple though and some people do like it so why not have it as an option?
TGS wrote: "omniresource' device that magically produces the core components out of nothing that you can then dump into chests or onto belts.
Reminds me of the "Full Chests" from the testmode mod :) Though with the larger mods it's simply not organized enough to find everything (items overload the page lol)
Yeah. The only reason I would be 'against' this is that really as I said, you might as well have a magic device that generates free x resource. Like one of the drills, that instead of drilling off of a patch removing from the patch. It simply creates them infinitely.

Or there is another possibility that could be added which would be even better. Aka C&C style. Have an option to allow ore to regenerate/grow. Slowly. So that while you could burn through it all, you could stop and let it regrow.

Return to “General discussion”