Train car length changes depending on orientation?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train car length changes depending on orientation?

Post by Tev »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
imajor wrote:
Tev wrote:Not being able turn your blueprints sideways (you can rotate them by 180 degress) can be trivially planned around
Please enlighten me.
Meaning that you have to build a different blueprint for the second direction, or simply accept that the game doesn't support that mechanic. Its easy if you know about it already, but newbs will never know this due to it being uniquely counterintuive.
Yeah nobody reads tips and tricks (It should be added there obviously). Nobody ever reads wiki. Nobody ever figures stuff on his own.
It is not trivial however. Trivial would be just supporting rotation in the first place. But that would be as though this problem never existed, and in that case, it wouldn't even be called trivial, such that it wouldn't even be acknowledged as any different from any other blueprint.
What's not trivial about not planning vertical high throughput stations? Seriously just make stations horizontal, there, problem solved. When it seems like you don't have enough space going horizontally, make your stations elsewhere. What's so damn hard about that.

Rather moan (or better: do something about it) about poor newbie education system with unfinished wiki and not-enough tips and tricks in game. Make some tutorials. Fixing this would take such disproportionate amount of time from devs that I think it's just stupid to complain about such a little thing.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

Tev wrote:Fixing this would take such disproportionate amount of time from devs that I think it's just stupid to complain about such a little thing.
Please note that this is not a bug which needs to be fixed. This was a design decision made a while ago.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

imajor wrote:
Tev wrote:Fixing this would take such disproportionate amount of time from devs that I think it's just stupid to complain about such a little thing.
Please note that this is not a bug which needs to be fixed. This was a design decision made a while ago.
This is a design fail, not a decision. Factorio does not use an isometric projection, the wagons should have the same size regardless of rotation.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Tev wrote: Yeah nobody reads tips and tricks (It should be added there obviously). Nobody ever reads wiki. Nobody ever figures stuff on his own.
I certainly didn't. As in, I didn't find anything out about this for a long time. It was obvious to me from when I started messing with trains that train cars were something like 6.5 tiles long, or something, which threw everything off, which was really weird, but I never noticed the different between horizontal and vertical until after I started robots. Then I spent a lot of time reading about it, until I finally learned about this.
quote]
Rather moan (or better: do something about it) about poor newbie education system with unfinished wiki and not-enough tips and tricks in game. Make some tutorials. Fixing this would take such disproportionate amount of time from devs that I think it's just stupid to complain about such a little thing.[/quote]
I'm not sure how this would take a lot of time from devs. They almost certainly have a constant somewhere which says 1.4 or .6, or whatever the ratio is, and if you set it to one it would physically work as common sense dictates. After that, you would need to apply the same scalar to all of the train image files. I doubt it would take more than 15 minutes.
imajor wrote: Please note that this is not a bug which needs to be fixed. This was a design decision made a while ago.
Doesn't change the fact that it is a highly questionable unique exception in the game, which does in fact restrict your options in a.... Non-intuitive way.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

It was a poor design decision, but as a part of the design it's hard to change, and the benefit would be tiny.
Ranakastrasz wrote:I'm not sure how this would take a lot of time from devs. They almost certainly have a constant somewhere which says 1.4 or .6, or whatever the ratio is, and if you set it to one it would physically work as common sense dictates. After that, you would need to apply the same scalar to all of the train image files. I doubt it would take more than 15 minutes.
You're totally ignoring the backwards compatibility issue. And uglyfying graphics (remember, game will be polished for 1.0.0 release).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Most simple solution: Kick out "train stop". Introduce "train stop vertical" and "train stop horizontal". Problem solved. Not nicely, but would work.

What I want to say is: Guys, don't hit your heads on stuff, that you cannot influence. The devs see this discussion and they have no solution or have one but are not sure, how it will work in the end (in any other case they would already have spoken here; it's clever, not to speak about it until you have a working solution).

But that may take time.

OFF-Topic: See problem about game start on an island. This problem is known since end of 2013. It is not that important, that it needs to be solved NOW.

The same is with the train length here: No need to solve it NOW.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Introduce "train stop vertical" and "train stop horizontal"
and "train stop diagonal" ;)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Tev wrote:It was a poor design decision, but as a part of the design it's hard to change, and the benefit would be tiny.
Ranakastrasz wrote:I'm not sure how this would take a lot of time from devs. They almost certainly have a constant somewhere which says 1.4 or .6, or whatever the ratio is, and if you set it to one it would physically work as common sense dictates. After that, you would need to apply the same scalar to all of the train image files. I doubt it would take more than 15 minutes.
You're totally ignoring the backwards compatibility issue. And uglyfying graphics (remember, game will be polished for 1.0.0 release).
Backwards compatability doesn't seem like a factor here. After all, a recient patch broke every single scriped mod until it was updated, which certainly disabled many games until they were updated. Sure, it was on the modder's end, instead of the player's end, but that isn't a huge difference.

As for the ugly graphics, I have yet to see anything that makes me think that is the case. I have seen someone make a rotating and distorting rectangle. While it clearly was distorted as it rotated, that would only be an accurate representation if we played top down. This is isometric (I think) meaning you would need to have an animation of a rotating rectangular prism, or, ideally, the existing train graphic. I don't think anyone other than the developers have seen what it looks like, unless this was the case back when trains were added in the first place.
hitzu wrote:
Pretty sure you can't do that now, since train stops can't be placed on diagonals. That said, I have no idea how that would work out.
ssilk wrote:Most simple solution: Kick out "train stop". Introduce "train stop vertical" and "train stop horizontal". Problem solved. Not nicely, but would work.
I'm not sure how that would work. Even if it essentially acted as an inserter and moved stuff off of the train, after that, no matter what shape it is (if a chest or something similar) it wouldn't be able to unload/load at the same rate horizontal vs vertical, so would make no real difference. I can only assume I don't understand the concept.
What I want to say is: Guys, don't hit your heads on stuff, that you cannot influence. The devs see this discussion and they have no solution or have one but are not sure, how it will work in the end (in any other case they would already have spoken here; it's clever, not to speak about it until you have a working solution).

But that may take time.

OFF-Topic: See problem about game start on an island. This problem is known since end of 2013. It is not that important, that it needs to be solved NOW.

The same is with the train length here: No need to solve it NOW.
True enough, I suppose. It isn't a huge deal, but it is still an issue.

I still would like to know what it would look like.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Ranakastrasz wrote:I have seen someone make a rotating and distorting rectangle. While it clearly was distorted as it rotated, that would only be an accurate representation if we played top down.
There wouldn't be any distortions at all, there even wouldn't be the train lenght problem if the graphcis were top down as the grid is.
To solve this problem you either should rework all the graphics or fix the world grid.
Pretty sure you can't do that now, since current train stops can't be placed on diagonals.
fxd

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

hitzu wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:I have seen someone make a rotating and distorting rectangle. While it clearly was distorted as it rotated, that would only be an accurate representation if we played top down.
There wouldn't be any distortions at all, there even wouldn't be the train lenght problem if the graphcis were top down as the grid is.
To solve this problem you either should rework all the graphics or fix the world grid.
Pretty sure you can't do that now, since current train stops can't be placed on diagonals.
fxd
The game would look rubbish with top down graphics. The isometric viewpoint is really important i my opinion.

----
True enough. However, I have no idea what benefit you expect to get from diagonal stations.
----
Use the built in spellchecker please.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

hitzu wrote:
Train stops can currently placed only vertical/horizontal. Or is that a suggestion? :)
Ranakastrasz wrote:
ssilk wrote:Most simple solution: Kick out "train stop". Introduce "train stop vertical" and "train stop horizontal". Problem solved. Not nicely, but would work.
I'm not sure how that would work. Even if it essentially acted as an inserter and moved stuff off of the train, after that, no matter what shape it is (if a chest or something similar) it wouldn't be able to unload/load at the same rate horizontal vs vertical, so would make no real difference. I can only assume I don't understand the concept.
The idea is: A new player gets immediately, that there is a difference between horizontal/vertical when talking about trains. And when you place a rotated blueprint, the train stop doesn't connect to the rail so the player sees very soon, that this isn't working like so - or that he needs to rethink it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

ssilk wrote: The idea is: A new player gets immediately, that there is a difference between horizontal/vertical when talking about trains. And when you place a rotated blueprint, the train stop doesn't connect to the rail so the player sees very soon, that this isn't working like so - or that he needs to rethink it.
So what you're saying is, the new player sees that trains don't work the way everyone intuitively expects them to do and something is wrong with them. And then has to find a way to work around it.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

ssilk wrote: The idea is: A new player gets immediately, that there is a difference between horizontal/vertical when talking about trains. And when you place a rotated blueprint, the train stop doesn't connect to the rail so the player sees very soon, that this isn't working like so - or that he needs to rethink it.
Interesting idea, but I think it would do more trouble than it solves. For those who never make a blueprint containing a train station (I think with vanilla this is most of the players) it would be pretty confusing. They would say it is pointless to have two types of stations.

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Backwards compatability doesn't seem like a factor here. After all, a recient patch broke every single scriped mod until it was updated, which certainly disabled many games until they were updated. Sure, it was on the modder's end, instead of the player's end, but that isn't a huge difference.
Eh . . . are you kidding? Seriously all you had to do was to update a mod. And modder used deprecated functionality, so really obvious it had to come sooner or later.

But changing way train stops work would require reworking many stations for every player on every load they want to carry on. And making train length universal would for some people introduce problems with signals in certain places (especially around train stops). You really think those are comparable situations? Oo

Just look at the hack that had to be done to enable backwards compatibility for new (0.12) turrets.

ssilk: that seems as counter-intuitive as current situation.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

Tev wrote:
Eh . . . are you kidding? Seriously all you had to do was to update a mod. And modder used deprecated functionality, so really obvious it had to come sooner or later.

But changing way train stops work would require reworking many stations for every player on every load they want to carry on. And making train length universal would for some people introduce problems with signals in certain places (especially around train stops). You really think those are comparable situations? Oo

Just look at the hack that had to be done to enable backwards compatibility for new (0.12) turrets.

ssilk: that seems as counter-intuitive as current situation.
Do you think it would be hard to change this only to newly started games, and leave the current behaviour after loading an old file? I don't think so.

EDIT: Formatting

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

hitzu wrote: Second: |Wagons should have the same size in both directions| — this is impossible in the factorio world unless you want to physically stretch and shrink wagons while rotating them. Like this https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 37#p109337
What you're saying is:

1) This is not a square.

2) This is not a square.

2) This belt

is wider than this belt.

3) This machine isn't a square.

The projection can't have rules that apply only to certain objects. That leaves two options:

1) The trains are correct. Everything else is wrong.
2) The graphics are fine. The trains are wrong.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Zeblote wrote:What you're saying is:

1) This is not a square.
This is a square only if this is a circle and if these bars are actually floating in the air.
Zeblote wrote: The projection can't have rules that apply only to certain objects.
Yes
Zeblote wrote:That leaves two options:

1) The trains are correct. Everything else is wrong.
2) The graphics are fine. The trains are wrong.
No

1) Sprites are fine. World grid is wrong (not squares).
2) World grid is fine (squares). Sprites are wrong.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

IMHO the sprites are completely irrelevant. There is no functional difference between this:

and this:

The game grid MUST be square, otherwise rotation of entities would not make any sense at all (3x3 entity on a 1x1/2 grid then would become 6x1,5 which is nonsense)

If we agree on this then it MUST strictly follow that, depending on a square grid with valid 90° rotations, trains MUST have the same height as their width -- game mechanic wise.

Now, if we project the quare grids a bit flatter to indicate some sort of visual perspective, then the GAME tiles are still square, because their mechanic is still square.

Under these conditions trains may appear vertically shorter and horizontally longer - but this is only a visual effect -- whereas in the current game trains are not only different from a visual aspect but ALSO from a gameplay aspect -- and this is clearly wrong

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I don't supposed it is possible to make a mod which changes this?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

hitzu wrote: This is a square only if this is a circle and if these bars are actually floating in the air.
I know you can do cool things like that, but it's not the point.

My point is factorio doesn't use isometric projection. Otherwise it would look like this:

We have isometric trains inside a game that isn't isometric. Basically there are two ways to fix it:
1) Leave trains. Change everything else.
2) Change trains to fit everything else.

Return to “General discussion”