On Plot and Science

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Lupoviridae
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

On Plot and Science

Post by Lupoviridae »

Hey everyone, so I had this idea on a potential plot for Factorio, along with a small change in science that would go with said plot to replace melting down inserters and belts into magic green science-y goo. Here's the premise:

The year is 4201 and human civilization is out expanding among the stars. We have the technology, what we do not have are the resources. That's where you come in. We'll sell you an entire planet on the cheap. In return, we need you to turn this inhospitable mass of rock into a proper mining colony and space factory. We'll give you the technology, but in return we'll require compensation in the form of common material goods that will in turn go to the building of other colonies.

The suggested change to technology is to make it more of a store-like purchase. The science center would become a science exchange center. In an assembling machine,you select the Tier Two Science Package, put in some inserters and belts, and they are "assembled" into a level two science "package" (instead of a potion). These are moved to the science exchange center, where they are beamed up to the mother ship in exchange for new technology.

Like I said, it involves a few minor changes(mostly sprites and item names), but the mechanics could be essentially kept the same. I know this probably belongs on the suggestions board, but I wanted to get some more opinions on it first. What do you guys think? Do you like the current science setup or would you prefer something that fits within an overarching plot?

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: On Plot and Science

Post by bigyihsuan »

Sure, but that requires something to get it up to space, first.

Perhaps a simple solid rocket engine, made with explosives and rocket launcher ammo, is unlocked with red science. It possible can take up to 100 red science at a time.
By the time you reach green science, you could have an oil industry-based rocket to carry both red and green science to space. The rocket can carry up to 200 red and green science.
Blue science would use the current rocket booster that we have. The current rocket can launch the satellite and hold an infinite number of all sciences.
Purple science could theoretically be on the oil rocket or later, since it takes green science to unlock alien tech.

I don't know. As I said above, maybe a rocket progression based on the materials you need for science could be the best.

Return to “General discussion”