Newcomer's Negative Feedback

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Morgot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Newcomer's Negative Feedback

Post by Morgot »

ratchetfreak wrote:It's more like do you want 50 different turrets each with slightly different stats of which most people will use one of two (the more bullet efficient one or the most DPS one)

Or do you want different types of turrets; machine gun, laser, shotgun, rocket,...
Spare me from your fantasies.

Upgrade is upgrade, it's clearly better and more refined than predefined lvl1, lvl2, lvl3 chunks of same substance.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Morgot wrote:it's clearly better and more refined than predefined lvl1, lvl2, lvl3 chunks of same substance.
Says who?
To you that may be so. But as you can probably tell from this thread, most of the people who have replied seem to be of the opposite mind.

Morgot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morgot »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:
Morgot wrote:it's clearly better and more refined than predefined lvl1, lvl2, lvl3 chunks of same substance.
Says who?
Humble I of course.

Defined principles may be represented by predefined technologies available from beginning or acquired somehow. However numerical development of certain principle is obviously suitable for progressive upgrade mechanic with all of its benefits. Check design of such a great games like M. A. X., Space Empires V and Capitalism 2 for evidences.

Predefined technologies is natural limitation of every game and upgrade mechanic is only way to bypass it.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Morgot wrote:Humble I of course.

Defined principles may be represented by predefined technologies available from beginning or acquired somehow. However numerical development of certain principle is obviously suitable for progressive upgrade mechanic with all of its benefits. Check design of such a great games like M. A. X., Space Empires V and Capitalism 2 for evidences.

Predefined technologies is natural limitation of every game and upgrade mechanic is only way to bypass it.
Exactly. You and no-one else.

You're comparing the Research mechanic in Factorio to games older than a decade.
I'm sure they were good in their day. But time progresses and technology and ideas move away from things that were seen as "good" (Memory cards for Consoles etc)

I can't think of a game where there aren't predefined technologies. Because they have to be defined to let the player know what they can and can't do/upgrade.

If you want more research or anything else in the game. Make a mod for it. If the dev's like it, they may work towards including it in the base game. A few mods already have.

Finally, there have been over 100,000 copies of Factorio sold. Even taking into account people who didn't like the game, or people who own several copies, that would be about 75,000 people who are happy with this game which is currently in Alpha.
You're fighting really strongly for some vague improvement on the research system, but have yet to come up with a definable plan to do that without ripping off some other game (Which would just be begging for a lawsuit)

Morgot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Morgot »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:You're comparing the Research mechanic in Factorio to games older than a decade.
I'm sure they were good in their day. But time progresses and technology and ideas move away from things that were seen as "good" (Memory cards for Consoles etc)
Well, "Don't starve" indie game is much younger than decade but still have all predefined technologies available without costly research. All you need is just to craft prototype near "lab". Just an example, I would not recommend such a research system for Factorio since "Don't starve" has natural leak of resources implemented which obvious from the title while Factorio rather not. And this is the main topic actually.

As I said already, predefined technologies is natural limitation of every game and upgrade mechanic is only way to bypass it. Going to person is useless. If I have some spare time and mood for forum discussions then I participate, if not - I'm not.

Return to “General discussion”