Guys, How do you feel about the killing power of tanks.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Guys, How do you feel about the killing power of tanks.

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

So, This scene from The Interview represents how I feel when I create a tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UIVJy2elb8

minus the first few minutes, although margaritas are delicious and idgaf if you dislike them

"Fuck you tree"

DEATH TO THE TREES

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Guys, How do you feel about the killing power of tanks.

Post by FishSandwich »

I'm more concerned about the killing power of a SINGLE PERSON on a world FULL OF AGRESSIVE ALIENS.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

They certainly look cool but I think they need a few upgrades to match the biter evolution and maybe a mini-gun on top! :D
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

FishSandwich wrote:I'm more concerned about the killing power of a SINGLE PERSON on a world FULL OF AGRESSIVE ALIENS.
I don't think the killing power of one person is overwhelming, though one turret is a bit strong xD

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

I think they needs flamers and heat seeking missiles and lasers and.. and... a muffin button!

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

lancar wrote:I think they needs flamers and heat seeking missiles and lasers and.. and... a muffin button!
Tank upgrades, specified moduels :O
Flamer moduel : Module that allows for use of flame fluid, projected in 2 streams directly in front of the tank
Laser defense module : Shoots enemies that come into a short range,
Energy shield module : Increases defenses, allowing the tank to have a regenerating health pool

Muffin Module : Creates a trail of muffins behind the tank baiting the biters into a small area (distraction capsule without the damage)
^ this one was a joke but the idea of a modular tank would be fantastic

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

The tank cannon is pretty decent with basic shells.
The problem is that you have to manually take care of lesser targets and weapon switching is not that quick. Because of that the combat is still mostly hit-and-run, since even small damage from little biters is still a damage.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

I've experimented with using a tank extensively. They're ridiculously vulnerable to swarms of aliens if you don't have a wall of turrets backing you up. They're not even very good compared to similar-tech modular armor, because they don't self-repair like shields, they need active repair and repair packs. If I'm going to go out against the aliens without turret creep, I'd rather be on foot.

The only good thing about tanks is the cannon's range. If you have a wall of turrets behind you, the cannon outranges even the big worms. But if you have a wall of turrets, you might as well use turret creep anyway. I've done both, and decided that the extra range of the cannon wasn't really buying me anything. Turret creep was cheaper, more reliable, and faster.

SkySo1dier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SkySo1dier »

Gus_Smedstad wrote:They're not even very good compared to...
Yep! Tanks are a huge let down :/

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Slow, low firepower and no modules. Tanks are okay for their spot on the tech tree, but player suits are still FAR superior once they're kitted out.

IMO a hover tank would be much nicer. It has the option of covering water and could pass over obstacles. Oh and it would have a speed that isn't instantly obsoleted by the car or exoskeleton modules.

It is sad that players can't change the weapon configuration of a vehicle. It is sadder that only one vehicle gun is available at a time and the others can't autofire like a laser module. This alone seriously hampers the firepower of vehicles as the shotgun currently wins all.
Last edited by bobucles on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

I usually consider "feature X should be like this" posts to be a complete waste, but I can't help myself.

At a bare minimum, the tank should be comparable to power armor, which means shields, whether they're built in or added via shield modules. Given how useless it is against swarms of attackers, it needs a readily accessible close defense weapon, preferably one that's automatic, since you usually get mobbed if the tank isn't protected by a wall of turrets. Flame thrower, laser point defense, I don't care so long as it's something that lets you actually use the cannon without dying. Because die is what you'll do if you try it without turrets, since the aliens come in swarms and respawn very quickly.

The game is designed to make the SMG obsolete by the time you get the tank, yet the tank's secondary weapon is comparable to the SMG, and the cannon fires far, far too slowly to be of any use against alien swarms, even with HE shells. Not that you want to fire HE at point blank! The tank needs a secondary weapon comparable to the combat shotgun, area effect and very damaging, or comparable to at least one laser turret with automatic targeting.

This probably means several iterations of the tank with progressively better equipment, or a parts system like power armor modules - but with something better than that personal defense laser peashooter.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

What killing power? </joke>

Actually, the tank can be great for single targets but I've never known biters to operate in anything other than swarms.

I'd rather tanks can fire powerful, expensive rounds with lots of AOE damage that Gets. Shit. Done.™
Instead of turret or combat bot spam, a late-game tank/loadout that is capable of clearing biters/nests would be perfect.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

This probably means several iterations of the tank with progressively better equipment
Equipment modules would work best, since each module unlock represents an iterative upgrade for the tank. An endgame tank would be pretty beefy if it had double speed, piles of shields and half a dozen laser turrets blasting away. Even without module slots, letting the player modules take over would provide a considerable upgrade to any vehicle.

A vehicle doesn't need as many module slots as power armor to be strong. Let their internal generators provide power. Power generation is a huge chunk of armor space, so this kind of upgrade would count as having a bunch of free module slots. Naturally this sort of upgrade means a lot more when players are stuck with solar modules, and isn't as useful against the high power of pocket fusion.

3trip
Inserter
Inserter

Post by 3trip »

Tanks suck, a quick fix would be to replace the secondary macho gun with an automated gun from the turret,that way it can deal with biters while you focus on the bigger stuff.

A better solution would be to make all turrets and vehicles modular, like you see in power armor, to one degree or another anyways. Oh and give vehicles a upgrade to make them fully automated like drones. Then you can create a robot army and conquer the world!

Or at least make expanding easier, and less personal.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Can you imagine an AI tank trying to follow you through your base, never mind an army of them? It's probably better they can't move on their own.

In terms of PvP though, yeah. That'd be pretty sweet.

3trip
Inserter
Inserter

Post by 3trip »

bobucles wrote:Can you imagine an AI tank trying to follow you through your base, never mind an army of them? It's probably better they can't move on their own.

In terms of PvP though, yeah. That'd be pretty sweet.
That would be epicly bad if it worked that way, but if you had them work like deconstruction blueprints it would be epicly awesome.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

Yeah, I don't want a tank following me around like an eager puppy and smashing all my oil pipelines.

krausr79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krausr79 »

Tanks are nice for everything but biters. More like a utility vehicle. Cutting a path through a forest? Tank. Picking up a load of ore from a small remote station? Those things have trunk space like nobody's business. Fire that main gun at nests; takes 'em out right quick. Then drive away and run over the hoard of biters following you.

I actually prefer tanks over cars for normal driving around because they're more.. forgiving.

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Gus_Smedstad wrote:I usually consider "feature X should be like this" posts to be a complete waste, but I can't help myself.

At a bare minimum, the tank should be comparable to power armor, which means shields, whether they're built in or added via shield modules. Given how useless it is against swarms of attackers, it needs a readily accessible close defense weapon, preferably one that's automatic, since you usually get mobbed if the tank isn't protected by a wall of turrets. Flame thrower, laser point defense, I don't care so long as it's something that lets you actually use the cannon without dying. Because die is what you'll do if you try it without turrets, since the aliens come in swarms and respawn very quickly.

The game is designed to make the SMG obsolete by the time you get the tank, yet the tank's secondary weapon is comparable to the SMG, and the cannon fires far, far too slowly to be of any use against alien swarms, even with HE shells. Not that you want to fire HE at point blank! The tank needs a secondary weapon comparable to the combat shotgun, area effect and very damaging, or comparable to at least one laser turret with automatic targeting.

This probably means several iterations of the tank with progressively better equipment, or a parts system like power armor modules - but with something better than that personal defense laser peashooter.

I never meant this to be a "the tank should be changed to this" kinda post, I was simply making a post saying that tanks are fun and great at killing trees :/

XartaX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XartaX »

Just add a higher tech modular tank. Shields, lasers, targeting computers, etc.

Return to “General discussion”