New player with a mod question!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
dres_x
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New player with a mod question!

Post by dres_x »

If I install a new mod (even a minor one), do I have to start a new save in order for it to apply? I want to try a bunch of mods out after having beaten the original game, but was wondering if there's a quick way just to apply the new mod to my current game. Thanks!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: New player with a mod question!

Post by Klonan »

Nope, it will just add it onto your current save game. IF you remove a mod it will just remove all the mods stuff

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Most mods can be safely added to an existing game. Mods that change recipes from the base game (I know some of dytech mods do, or used to last time i tried those, i'm sure there's others) will break your production lines obviously, but any existing items will remain in place. Mods that change behaviour (like evolution-type things) may change biter behaviour, causing your base to get overrun if you're unlucky. Other than that, it's usually fairly safe to add mods to an existing game. Of course, it's always a good idea to make a backup copy of a savegame you care about before adding mods :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Really depends on the mod. Mods that change things like the location of ores such as RSO may not work, but I think there is a way to get it to take over. Mods that add new ores will only appear in ungenerated chunks so you'll need to go farther to get them unless you force the specific ores to regenerate via the console commands.

Basically, most will, but adding them into a game is not the same as playing from the start with some of them.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

vampiricdust wrote:Really depends on the mod. Mods that change things like the location of ores such as RSO may not work, but I think there is a way to get it to take over. Mods that add new ores will only appear in ungenerated chunks so you'll need to go farther to get them unless you force the specific ores to regenerate via the console commands.
Good point, ore generation mods will take some more effort. RSO will automatically take effect for newly generated chunks. Newly added ore will also automatically be added to newly generated chunks and you'll need a console command to push the ores into the existing chunks.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

As others have said, almost all mods will work fine if you add them to a current save game. Just the ones that change things about the map will only affect newly generated areas.
Always good to make a backup of your save first though. :)
Image Image Image

Return to “General discussion”