grass is always greener

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

grass is always greener

Post by Dakkanor »

this has bothered me for a while now, but why is the grass no longer green? as it is now it looks more like savanna grass than anything else, and without it the only really colorful thing is parts of the trees and the water, which means that colour wise i find factorio really boring, the game itself is great, and in general the graphics are great. but without that little splash of colour the game looks reminiscent of a generic modern FPS.

its not a huge thing but playing the game with only the dull grey and browns, with the splash of blue for the water is less pleasant , to me i choose to have my maps with no sand, dirt or gravel just because i find the green backdrop make the game more enjoyable in that small way.

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: grass is always greener

Post by Math3vv »

i dont know how hard this is but you could try it :

change the graphics from the grass tile and make it greener

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

at this point im considering grabbing an old version and swapping the tiles over.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Actually the terrain is still a big visual issue of the game. So we decided to spend some time in the upcoming release (0.8) on this issue. I will tell our artist about your opinion. On the other hand I think that neutral colors we have now sort of work better for the terrain than shiny green and yellow we had before. They don't cause too much eye strain and the machines fit in well. But yeah, the grass should be a bit greener I guess:))

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

LoSboccacc wrote:Beause brown is real!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealIsBrown
NOOOO not tvtropes, i need to sleep tonight

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

Nice!

So if there are fixes to that, also please consider making seamless detail textures,
At the closest zoom the squared lines around patterns are bad to see, specially on the mud texture

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

LoSboccacc wrote:Nice!

So if there are fixes to that, also please consider making seamless detail textures,
At the closest zoom the squared lines around patterns are bad to see, specially on the mud texture
That is one of our motivations for doing this. Albert came out with pretty neat technique to do multiple tile variations relatively fast. On top of that we will be using different tile sizes (1 x 1, 2 x 2, 4 x 4) to break the terrain regularity.

Return to “General discussion”