Things to watch out when loading a 0.11 game in 0.12

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Things to watch out when loading a 0.11 game in 0.12

Post by johanwanderer »

Just a few things that I have encountered trying to load my old save game:
  • Make sure the correct mods are enabled (and are compatible with 0.12) first. This may require restarting Factorio.
  • Because of the new logistic research, logistic conditions are not working when the game is first loaded. Any part of the factory that relies on red/green circuit signalling will behave as though no signals are present. Research the new logistic item ASAP to get them back to working order.
  • The belts no longer push items past their ending, so inserters one space out of the belts won't be able to pick up materials. Solution: add belts where applicable. May need to reconfigure the factory where creative belt layouts are used.
That's my list so far.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

How many habits did you have to break with 0.12?

Post by bigyihsuan »

I for one, had to break the "one less belt when feeding an inserter" habit because they fixed that now apparently.

And also, the fact that there's not loss of compression on turns anymore makes me feel very satisfied.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How many habits did you have to break with 0.12?

Post by daniel34 »

When inserting in 0.11.x:
On a belt going north-south, the item always goes to the left side
On a belt going east-west, the item always goes to the upper side

With 0.12 the item goes to the inserters right side.
An inserter putting an item down (in south direction): the item will end up on the left side, but an inserter putting an item up will put it on the right side. Same with east-west insertion. Inserter facing east will put the item on the lower side, an inserter facing west will put it on the upper side of the belt.
The same applies to mining drills.

It doesn't bug me so much, it was just strange the first time I saw it.

What I like is that when you pick up ("mine") a belt, it also automatically gives you the items laying on that belt.
Also, when you have a stack of iron ore (50) and put it into a furnace and it accepts 49 of them, you used to have a stack of 1 iron ore in your hand. With 0.12 you still have another complete (50) stack in hand, if you have enough in your inventory. This makes getting rid of ore or refuelling furnaces with coal really easy.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Things to watch out when loading a 0.11 game in 0.12

Post by safan »

Any idea how to convert to the new guns? I have multiple outposts that are under constant attacks so i can't visit them all before the first attack

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Merged by Koub, because basically the same subject]
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

safan wrote:Any idea how to convert to the new guns? I have multiple outposts that are under constant attacks so i can't visit them all before the first attack
I don't think you have to do anything to get the new guns. They should all be automatically upgraded to the new version.

Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tallinu »

That's right. All your turrets will simply become the new versions. This will result in some strange placement and overlapping, but they will all function - assuming your power grid can support the equivalent of four times as many laser turrets as you used to have, since each one now is 4x as powerful, expensive, and power-hungry.

You may want to go around picking up the lasers and replacing them as needed after updating, to adjust their positioning and reduce power consumption.
Also, blueprints including turrets will probably need to be updated to place them properly. I wiped all of my 0.11 turret blueprints without thinking to check if they could still be placed or not...
daniel34 wrote:When inserting in 0.11.x:
I also noticed that if an inserter pointing north drops an item onto an underground belt entrance going west, the item comes out on the south side of the belt instead of the north side, which IMO should be considered a bug since inserters are explicitly stated to place items on the far side of belts. There's no ambiguity in this case, like there is for an inserter placing an item on a belt that's traveling in the same direction the inserter is pointing.

Return to “General discussion”