0.12 status

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Phe0n1x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 0.12 status

Post by Phe0n1x »

*registers on the forums so he can cry quietly in a corner*

LaMangousteDuMal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LaMangousteDuMal »

RITO pls...

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

supperbas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by supperbas »

For my curiosity: isn't the whole idea of the game being in Alpha that we get unstable builds. Me personally would love to just try out the current build even if it contains tons of bugs of sync issues. Now it is more or less a release candidate-release. I would prefer having an experimental build which can be unstable than to wait for a stable RC. it is an Alpha after all... ;)

anarchoid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by anarchoid »

:(

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

We know that a new Version will have many many bugs ...
Was the first 0.11 stable ... no!
But we play it and reports the bugs ...
You need 22 Versions to get it stable.
And 1000 Players found the bugs much faster as you ...
So whats the problem?

SomeDuder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SomeDuder »

Why not just release the current build? Lots of people don't care about multiplayer, and those that do can just continue with 11.22

Lemures
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lemures »

We understand crashes, we understand that things won't always work. I'm fairly sure that the majority of players do not care about multiplayer, and to read that the release is pushed back because of multiplayer issues is like being told that your meal isn't ready because they ran out of the garnish. We don't need polish. We don't expect it. We don't need a feature that only the minority utilizes to work in order to enjoy 0.12. Please bring on the buggy alpha and let us dive in. We know what we are getting in to, and we accept it and love it for what it is.

We know that you owe us nothing, and we hope that you know that we are very appreciative of all of the work that you do. People would not be upset at the release being pushed back if they didn't love Factorio! With this in mind, would we be able to have an explanation as to why the present version of Factorio 0.12 is not to be released as an alpha?

Raz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raz »

yeah, had the feeling this was going to happen..
still, my reaction was pretty much this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

When i saw this... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

DOSorDIE wrote:We know that a new Version will have many many bugs ...
Was the first 0.11 stable ... no!
But we play it and reports the bugs ...
You need 22 Versions to get it stable.
And 1000 Players found the bugs much faster as you ...
So whats the problem?
I don't think there really is a problem. They seem to have a ton of *known* bugs they want to fix before releasing stuff. If they didn't have any known bugs and had to spend time actually looking for them then, yes, releasing a version right now would make sense.

Sparkerish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkerish »

:shock: :cry: :( :cry:

I agree w/ Lemures, would love to help with the debugging (although I usually don't play MP) How is the single player?

:idea: And could you update the "Factorio Roadmap for 0.12 + 0.13"
Pretty shure 0.12 isn't going to make the 'end of June' (unless you are talking about 2016 . . . that would be very :evil: )

:D LOVE FACTORIO! :D
Delayed releases . . . not so much. :cry:
I may as well go to sleep now, have to work tonight anyway, But I really wanted to play :cry:

Keep up the awesome work! (hope we get to see how great it is SOON)
P.S. Thank you for considering those of us with more limited systems, my laptop won't run more than 385 MB VRAM.
Do hope the optimizations help so I can use mods without 'very low graphics mode'. (and thanks for that BTW)
Have FUN!
WARNING Factorio

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

Well, if I could choose, I'd say "Just release a 0.12 preview with Multiplayer disabled", giving us the chance to. find issues in singleplayer while ignoring the desync-issues.

But, I'm happy about the great work you have done with this genious game!!! It was worth every cent, and tbh far more ;-)

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

I'd love it if the devs of large mods could get a early copy of 0.12... I want to port my Dytech, so Dysoch and I can release quickly after the public release of 0.12, but I have no idea what's gonna break (apart from all the scripting, which won't be in the next release of Dytech ;))... Could a dev help me with this (give Dysoch permission to give me an testversion?)?

~ML
Very good at pressing buttons.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well I hate to admit it but the multiplayer thing starts to be a damn curse ever since its initial plans were announced... :roll:

At least it managed to slow down development by at least 100% even with the increased development team size. Well if I had to take a wild guess it will almost take as many 0.12 builds than it took for 0.11 just because of "rarely happening, hard to reproduce, near impossible to fix without creating a ton of new bugs"-desync problems.

I know now why so many games in that genre just avoid adding a multiplayer feature... because only a minority plays multiplayer in such games anyways because of how it's near impossible to gather&convince any friends to stand through how long it takes to actually get somewhere in such games and those people only being casual players who only have time for like 2-3 hours of play a week and it at least doubles/triples the amount of work needed for the developer, at which point I would throw the towel and rather invest the development time to have a full fleshed out singleplayer campaign and tons of other features that have been postponed for months already.

So guess it's off for another couples of weeks for me, because I don't really want to get hopes up and destroyed on a weekly-basis, especially due to how some features I looked forward to got pushed back to 0.13 anyways.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Do they test the features in single player mode first rather than testing it in multiplayer mode at the same time?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

kiba wrote:Do they test the features in single player mode first rather than testing it in multiplayer mode at the same time?
We have a multiplayer world that we all play on. That's how we test.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

MeduSalem wrote: At least it managed to slow down development by at least 100% even with the increased development team size. Well if I had to take a wild guess it will almost take as many 0.12 builds than it took for 0.11 just because of "rarely happening, hard to reproduce, near impossible to fix without creating a ton of new bugs"-desync problems.

I know now why so many games in that genre just avoid adding a multiplayer feature... because only a minority plays multiplayer in such games anyways because of how it's near impossible to gather&convince any friends to stand through how long it takes to actually get somewhere in such games and those people only being casual players who only have time for like 2-3 hours of play a week and it at least doubles/triples the amount of work needed for the developer, at which point I would throw the towel and rather invest the development time to have a full fleshed out singleplayer campaign and tons of other features that have been postponed for months already.
Well, it isn't easy, but we are learning a lot on the way. The bigger team is just kicking on, as it is their first multiplayer stabilisation release phase and they are learning how to solve the problems themselves.

CharitableClas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CharitableClas »

kovarex wrote:
MeduSalem wrote: At least it managed to slow down development by at least 100% even with the increased development team size. Well if I had to take a wild guess it will almost take as many 0.12 builds than it took for 0.11 just because of "rarely happening, hard to reproduce, near impossible to fix without creating a ton of new bugs"-desync problems.

Well, it isn't easy, but we are learning a lot on the way. The bigger team is just kicking on, as it is their first multiplayer stabilisation release phase and they are learning how to solve the problems themselves.
I commend you guys on a great job you are doing as Multiplayer as of 0.11.22 is pretty stable as far as I can see from watching Direwolf20 and Soaryn playing in multiplayer together on youtube and it looks really stable. So if they say that they want a stable Multiplayer for the 0.12 release then whatever they added to the game and upgraded on the game may have destabilized the multiplayer therefore instead of releasing an unstable build that could cause singleplayer to crash as well if there is one specific bug that they are trying to find and as the saying goes "the best laid plans of mice and men never survive first contact with the enemy" the enemy in this case being conflicting code and the plans being what they want to add or better in the game... :D all in all good job and i would rather have a fully stable build than have an unstable build that works 1 out of 10 times and need 25 more updates and bug fixes just to make it where it works 9 out of 10 times

Return to “General discussion”