Mod Licenses

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
zer0t3ch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mod Licenses

Post by zer0t3ch »

Is there some kind of global license for Factorio mod[ification]s? I just don't want to update someone else's outdated mod and get in trouble for it.
"F**k thy hater"
-George Watsky

Feel free to contact me!
Razer Comms: Zer0t3ch
Email: zer0t3ch@live.com

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mod Licenses

Post by SilverWarior »

I don't think there is general licence for Factorio mods.
It is best to simply contact mod author and ask for permision.

zer0t3ch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zer0t3ch »

SilverWarior wrote:I don't think there is general licence for Factorio mods.
It is best to simply contact mod author and ask for permision.
That's what I've been trying to do, but the problem is that the people that let their mods get outdated are usually the same people that have left the forum, making contact difficult.
"F**k thy hater"
-George Watsky

Feel free to contact me!

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Hmm that is a good point. Does anyone know how other game communities approach this?

akvammen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by akvammen »

Believe I've downloaded mods for other games where the info said that the mod was the property of the original owner, and that all changes would also belong to the original owner should he return and claim it. Don't know if this is a common/accepted way of doing things though.

zer0t3ch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zer0t3ch »

akvammen wrote:Believe I've downloaded mods for other games where the info said that the mod was the property of the original owner, and that all changes would also belong to the original owner should he return and claim it. Don't know if this is a common/accepted way of doing things though.
So you mean if I were to take someone elses outdated mod, update it, and distribute it through my own forum thread, that I could just keep doing that until the original author says either "No" or "It's mine again"?
"F**k thy hater"
-George Watsky

Feel free to contact me!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think that's not ok. :)

Ok: use the ideas in the code to create your own mod.
Ok: It's allowed to quote some lines of code, when the quoting is much less than your code.

Sounds hard, but everything else is like taking forgotten gloves or a shawl and use it as your own. You can do it for yourself, but not if you run, where the owner can see you everyday. :)

And be honest: the most is learned, if you rewrite the code so that you understand, how it works. 8-)

PS: New mods should be forced to use a minimum license, which allows some kind of reusing, if the owner can't be reached.
And it should define when an owner isn't reachable. All that can be done because they use the interface.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

When I am not missleading the topic-creator asked, because he wants to revive the inserter-mod (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=32&t=494)

I do not want to discount the effort that was taken in it, but in fact the only thing that have to be done is copying the basic-inserter entity, change the values and color the texture.
What I mean is there is nothing much to quote or do in a different way.

In general of course you should try to contact the author. If you receive no response I would say it is okay to "grab" it if the mod is outdated for more than 2 game-updates.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I don't know what the law says.
But morally I think it is ok, as long as the original author is mentioned in the changelog and the mod description.
I did this when I continued the spell50 mod for baldurs gate for example, and never had problem with that.

zer0t3ch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zer0t3ch »

kovarex wrote:I don't know what the law says.
But morally I think it is ok, as long as the original author is mentioned in the changelog and the mod description.
I did this when I continued the spell50 mod for baldurs gate for example, and never had problem with that.
Thank you. I think I'll be doing that.

[EDIT] Is there some kind of creative mode in planning? Something like that would make testing mods a lot easier. If not, I plan on making a mod for it... :P
"F**k thy hater"
-George Watsky

Feel free to contact me!

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Factorio currently has two freeplay scenarios. One of them alows you to play in "good mode" where you don't have your character and crepers don't attach unles you build something right near them. This scenario also alows you to start with chest full of items and all technologies unlocked. Not sure if mod-based technologies also gets unlocked since I haven't tested it yet.
There is also posibility to use ingame editor for creating quick test scenario. When using editor you can place any item available in game, and fill any chest with any items you want. I used editor for testing some power generation configurations in version 0.5.x.

akvammen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by akvammen »

zer0t3ch wrote:
akvammen wrote:Believe I've downloaded mods for other games where the info said that the mod was the property of the original owner, and that all changes would also belong to the original owner should he return and claim it. Don't know if this is a common/accepted way of doing things though.
So you mean if I were to take someone elses outdated mod, update it, and distribute it through my own forum thread, that I could just keep doing that until the original author says either "No" or "It's mine again"?
I'm only a user, not a modder. So I don't know the "secret" rules of modders. But personally I think it'd be better to use the orignal thread, and/or make it VERY clear you're maintaining someone elses work until they might return. Perhaps an admin or something could help you modify the subject of the original thread if needed.

zer0t3ch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zer0t3ch »

akvammen wrote:
zer0t3ch wrote:
I'm only a user, not a modder. So I don't know the "secret" rules of modders. But personally I think it'd be better to use the orignal thread, and/or make it VERY clear you're maintaining someone elses work until they might return. Perhaps an admin or something could help you modify the subject of the original thread if needed.
I don't think that would work out well, because for proper distribuition, the new coder would have to be able to edit the old coders OP. (Original post at the top of the thread)

[EDIT] I was merely referring to the ability of a new coder to use the original thread. Also, modifying the subject of the original wouldn't really help all that much.
Last edited by zer0t3ch on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"F**k thy hater"
-George Watsky

Feel free to contact me!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Please repeat reading, what akvammen said.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”