Space Age general Questions

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Fnc_Hardware
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Space Age general Questions

Post by Fnc_Hardware »

first I'm sorry for my poor English, I'm french and I don't like use the translator.

Hi, I saw that the Space Age will be added by a DLC, that is great, cause that seems I could don't play it, cause I don't like the space mod, but that will also says that the train support won't be in the the game in base?
Cause if it's not, that should, cause for myself, this is the unique thing that will make me to add the dlc.

Well, I think I post in the right place. Then if I'm misunderstand something, I'm will be happy to be rectify.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Space Age DLC

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to General discussion.
Elevated rails will NOT be in the free 2.0 update
Elevated rails will only be in the "Space Age" paid expansion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Fnc_Hardware wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:19 am
Hi, I saw that the Space Age will be added by a DLC, that is great, cause that seems I could don't play it, cause I don't like the space mod, but that will also says that the train support won't be in the the game in base?
There are a number of train-related changes covered by FFF articles: I only made a quick scan but hopefully I didn't miss any. Of these, if I am not mistaken, all are part of 2.0 and will be available without the DLC, with the exception of elevated rails (#378) as Koub mentioned. This is made clear in most of the FFF articles.

In particular, as described at the end of FFF-378, while you need the DLC for elevated rails, you can have a game that uses with them but without other parts of the expansion if you so wish.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Fnc_Hardware wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:19 am
...cause I don't like the space mod...
The DLC will be quite a bit different compared to the "space exploration" mod, though

Fnc_Hardware
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fnc_Hardware »

I went to check the https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-378, and saw it at the end, but that mens their will be an option for start a game (with the dlc) to do create a new game without the space exploration ? Or the Space exploration part will be just achieve with the science ? cause really I'm ask what will be the compatibility and what could/should happen with the map that have been create in the version 1.1.x
P.S. sorry for the delay of my answer.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Fnc_Hardware wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:55 pm
that mens their will be an option for start a game (with the dlc) to do create a new game without the space exploration ?
Yes.
cause really I'm ask what will be the compatibility and what could/should happen with the map that have been create in the version 1.1.x
I think it's pretty accurate to view the expansion content as an overhaul mod that is dependent on engine enhancements, where some of those enhancements (elevated rails and quality, for example) are only available to you if you have purchased the DLC. As with many existing overhaul mods for 1.1, I doubt you will be able to add all the expansion content to an existing save in a useful way.

However, I expect vanilla saves can be migrated to Factorio version 2 (that will be available whether or not you buy the DLC) as has been possible previously. Other than the rail shape changes (FFF-377) I can't think of anything announced to date that would be a major problem. With regards to the rail shapes, it is stated that existing rails will continue to work, just that you will only be able to place new rails.

In summary: whether or not you purchase the DLC, you should be able to continue an existing "vanilla" save or start a new one and play more or less exactly the same as with 1.1 but with some enhancements available. If you want elevated rails, you need to buy the DLC; in that case specifically, you should be able to add them to an existing save.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:12 am
As with many existing overhaul mods for 1.1, I doubt you will be able to add all the expansion content to an existing save in a useful way.

However, I expect vanilla saves can be migrated to Factorio version 2 (that will be available whether or not you buy the DLC) as has been possible previously.
To get a head start, you can probably take an existing save and build a new base next to the 1.1 base, this time with 2.0 features and new research. Then deconstruct the 1.1 structures. If you're using a not too big base for this, you could inherit much research and infrastructure this way for the early game.

However, starting all over with a fresh map and inheriting nothing would get the 2.0 experience as envisioned by the developers. The 2.0 game has different mid- and lategame goals, so you would develop a 2.0 base differently from the ground up.
I don't know, but may be there is also some interesting new early game behavior in 2.0 worth to explore. For example, it is said cliffs became more useful as early defense, so may be the early game makes it easier to create a base defense, so it isn't that tedious as before.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Tertius wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:53 am
SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:12 am
As with many existing overhaul mods for 1.1, I doubt you will be able to add all the expansion content to an existing save in a useful way.

However, I expect vanilla saves can be migrated to Factorio version 2 (that will be available whether or not you buy the DLC) as has been possible previously.
To get a head start, you can probably take an existing save and build a new base next to the 1.1 base, this time with 2.0 features and new research. Then deconstruct the 1.1 structures. If you're using a not too big base for this, you could inherit much research and infrastructure this way for the early game.

However, starting all over with a fresh map and inheriting nothing would get the 2.0 experience as envisioned by the developers. The 2.0 game has different mid- and lategame goals, so you would develop a 2.0 base differently from the ground up.
I don't know, but may be there is also some interesting new early game behavior in 2.0 worth to explore. For example, it is said cliffs became more useful as early defense, so may be the early game makes it easier to create a base defense, so it isn't that tedious as before.
While I am sure that savegames will be compatible and that a conversion script will remove/fix most of the differences between 1.1 and 2.0 saves...

... I would also generally recommend starting a new save with 2.0, exactly for the reason to experience it the way it is intended with the new research system based on triggers and such and because some recipes may have changed that may require redoing some parts of the factory.

Anyway what I am not so sure about will be map seeds. They changed some things even about Nauvis map generation; might be that map seeds from 1.1 and 2.0 create different outcomes. While that does not break the save game, but it might break the aesthetics of the map view when there are noticeable transitions between chunks you revealed while playing 1.1 and chunks revealed after patching to 2.0. It will likely look ugly. ^^
Because that has almost always been the case in the past when they touched something about the map generation algorithm. ^^

Fnc_Hardware
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fnc_Hardware »

Thank you to all of you, thx for your answer they all help me to see better.

EthanHunt404
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Space Age DLC, About Multiplayer

Post by EthanHunt404 »

I Have a big question about the DLC in regards to multiplayer, will all player need to have the dlc bought to play it or just the host? its quite important for me to know that, cause while i am in the position to buy, and plan to by the moment it drops, 35USD quite expensive in my country[Brazil], and not all of my friends are in the same position as me.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If you want to play Space Age, everyone will need it.
Else, you'll only be able to play the 2.0 (which is globally the 1.1 with all the free QoL and polishing, but without the multi-planet and elevated rails stuff).

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Space Age expansion without Steam

Post by thelordodin »

Hi there!

I bought Factorio here on factorio.com site before it came to Steam. And not only for myself but for my kids too.
So... will I be able to buy the expansion here?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Yes you will :)

150d
Inserter
Inserter

purchase from website

Post by 150d »

Hi,

I'm a long time Factorio player and intend to buy the new expansion as soon as it is available. Will the key be offered directly on the website again as it is with the v1 key? I don't use Steam.

Regards

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: purchase from website

Post by Koub »

Yes.

LoSt543215543
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

save data space age

Post by LoSt543215543 »

So I probably missed this or something but in space age can you use one of your current saves of factorio and continue from there or do you have to start from scratch

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: save data space age

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to General discussions.
Even if you're able to load a 1.1 save in 2.0 with Space Age, the result will probably be bad : terrain generation will change, some recipes, ... Starting fresh wille be advised.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: save data space age

Post by Kyralessa »

LoSt543215543 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:58 pm
So I probably missed this or something but in space age can you use one of your current saves of factorio and continue from there or do you have to start from scratch
Keep in mind that you can install the game from a .zip file. So if you have saves you're attached to, you can install 1.1 in one directory, and 2.0 in a different directory, so you keep the old Factorio for compatibility with your old saves.

150d
Inserter
Inserter

Re: purchase from website

Post by 150d »

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Space Age general Questions

Post by thelordodin »

Preorder options? Do you need my money today?))

Return to “General discussion”