Quality level run-off poll

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

What labels would you prefer for Factorio quality levels?

The names used in FFF-375 introducing quality: Normal, Uncommon, Rare, Epic, Legendary.
23%
The names that came top in the preceding poll: Basic, Improved, Superior, Exceptional, Perfect.
45%
Just numbers: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5.
26%
Letter grades: e.g. E, D, C, B, A.
6%

Total votes: 53

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Quality level run-off poll

Post by Khagan »

The 'primary' poll to find the popular choices for quality level names seems to have stabilised (after a late run from 'Basic' to overtake 'Normal' for the first level). So here is a run-off.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Quality level run-off poll

Post by mmmPI »

Ah I welcome this third round of votes.
Q1-Q5 ! :D

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:20 am
Ah I welcome this third round of votes.
Q1-Q5 ! :D
Same!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ChefOfRamen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ChefOfRamen »

I would have gone B, A, S, SS, SSS for the letter grades.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

ChefOfRamen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:03 pm
I would have gone B, A, S, SS, SSS for the letter grades.
Why not go the whole snakehog, and suggest S, SS, SSS, SSSS, SSSSS? (Which we could then abbreviate S1, S2, S3, S4, S5.)

Seriously though, that's why there is an 'e.g.' in the letter grade option. If letter grades turn out to be the preferred option, we can discuss afterwards which set of letters to use.

(My own opinion is that even 'S', let alone 'SS' or 'SSS', is symptomatic of unplanned extensions to a range. You designed a range with, say, 'A' to 'D', and then find later that you need a higher grade than 'A', so have to improvise. Adding such things in at the start is pointless.)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Khagan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:25 am
(My own opinion is that even 'S', let alone 'SS' or 'SSS', is symptomatic of unplanned extensions to a range. You designed a range with, say, 'A' to 'D', and then find later that you need a higher grade than 'A', so have to improvise. Adding such things in at the start is pointless.)
You don't watch enough animes I guess :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

kurtman7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kurtman7 »

The first one but replace legendary with perfect.

XT-248
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

I picked the option with perfect because it is the least worse option out of the four in this poll.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am
Khagan wrote:
No, many of us don't, so the whole "S" grade system is completely foreign and, even having recently learned of this from the other thread, feels more wrong than the Legendary options. :D
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:15 pm
Koub wrote:
Khagan wrote:
No, many of us don't, so the whole "S" grade system is completely foreign and, even having recently learned of this from the other thread, feels more wrong than the Legendary options. :D
Huh. Thought it was common knowledge at this point, what with the sheer spam of crappy tier lists on YouTube these days.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

My 2 cents about the "S" grade system as a naming-scheme is... that in practice it is absolutely F-tier. ;D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

MeduSalem wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:26 pm
My 2 cents about the "S" grade system as a naming-scheme is... that in practice it is absolutely F-tier. ;D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

This strange "S" grade system cannot be invented by engineers or technical orientated people, because it isn't following some intuitive scientific order of increasing importance or significance. Instead, it's arbitrary. There is no reason why an "S" is better than an "A", and "SS" better than "S". That's completely arbitrary and made up. And that's not something we should have in Factorio, because Factorio is something scientific and mathematical. Arbitrary rules have no place here.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:59 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:15 pm
Koub wrote:
Khagan wrote:
Huh. Thought it was common knowledge at this point, what with the sheer spam of crappy tier lists on YouTube these days.
Well, tier lists of what? Anime? Gocha games? Other things of that nature? Some people don't look at/follow any of that.

I also can't speak for others, but I don't typically browse YouTube (generically speaking). Typically the only times I land on YouTube vids is from Googling how-tos that result in YouTube results with no or poor other results (I'm a very "I just want my answer without all the fluff bull" type of person, so vids that spend 5+ minutes talking about other stuff I don't care about irritate me and/or waste my time whereas a text article I can just CRTL+F to what I need).

Also, the vids that YouTube recommends/shows to you typically follow the type of stuff that it thinks you'd be interested in based on your history. If you never look at that type of stuff, it's never going to recommend any of those vids to you. ;)

----------------------------------
Tertius wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:24 pm
This strange "S" grade system cannot be invented by engineers or technical orientated people
Well, no, they weren't. They're in use by tier lists for Anime's and Gocha games and the like.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I see not everyone is familiar with the trend of making tier list for everything !

I was under the impression that this website was somewhat of the source or at least an instrumental tool in the development of them :
https://tiermaker.com/create/factorio-- ... s-15859331

They are ranked as F D C B A S from worst best by default i suppose. And on youtube you could find tier list of pretty much everything in video games, like factions, magic spell , unit, policy , dungeons, strategy, but also many things outside the video game world as it's a really easy support for ranking and rambling on youtube or other.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:28 pm
I see not everyone is familiar with the trend of making tier list for everything !

I was under the impression that this website was somewhat of the source or at least an instrumental tool in the development of them :
https://tiermaker.com/create/factorio-- ... s-15859331

They are ranked as F D C B A S from worst best by default i suppose. And on youtube you could find tier list of pretty much everything in video games, like factions, magic spell , unit, policy , dungeons, strategy, but also many things outside the video game world as it's a really easy support for ranking and rambling on youtube or other.
And yet some have never heard of this before these polls. ;) :D

I don't know, I may be weird, but I don't typically look for rank lists about things in the games I play? With Diablo 3 I did sometimes look up build information for certain build types, but even then the "rank" lists I found and used didn't use a letter system for ranking them.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Yea. Admittedly, I only learned of it properly with Tierzoo, and it was the least interesting part of those videos. Professional quality edutainment on various animals.

And yes. Extending the scale past F-A and then S to SS and SSS is an indication that something broke. Or that there was some kind of translation disaster maybe.

I will probably use or write a mod to use Q0-Q5 if that isn't chosen, because I don't feel flavour is appropriate, of any type, but like the arbitrary and confusing change to inserter colors, I will probably get used to it, regardless of which flavour text is used.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

And I will use whatever the devs choose as default, to stay compatible to what forum and discord calls it. And if it's "1st try", "trash", "mediocre", "refurbished", "ok".

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Tertius wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 pm
[...] And if it's "1st try", "trash", "mediocre", "refurbished", "ok".
I change my mind, I vote for those to become the official names... just for the sake of it. ;D

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I'm 50/50 on whether to go with whatever the devs use or a mod that changes it to numbered levels, but regardless, I'll probably use Q1-Q5 in conversations because I'm not going to remember any names except for the "highest"... maybe. :lol:

Return to “General discussion”