Questions that have not been answered in the Friday facts so far?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Questions that have not been answered in the Friday facts so far?

Post by Lee_newsum »

First off, are you still offering support for Windows 7?

I think my biggest concern is map making Are we going to have to make a map for every planet?
does settings from one planet applied to the other?
do we get to manipulate the settings when we encounter or land on the new planet?
One of the first things I do when I start a new map is turn Cliffs completely off. How would that affect the other planets?

My last annoyance with map generation is when ore patches are generated that overlap the coastline what would be in the sea is lost. Since now we want more little Islands would it be prudent to make the or patches overlap the sea rather than the other way around?

leopoldkabouter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Questions that have not been answered in the Friday facts so far?

Post by leopoldkabouter »

Lee_newsum wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:48 pm
My last annoyance with map generation is when ore patches are generated that overlap the coastline what would be in the sea is lost. Since now we want more little Islands would it be prudent to make the or patches overlap the sea rather than the other way around?
Underwater miners --> underwater belts that rust and need replacement often.

Or build a dike or levee and mine that patch!

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Landfill! Tiles do not remove ores. So landfill that in to get access to the ores.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

astroshak wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:45 pm
Landfill! Tiles do not remove ores. So landfill that in to get access to the ores.
Nop it did not work! see test's. (Factorio_x64_1.1.87)
test 1.png
test 1.png (3.37 MiB) Viewed 529 times
test 2.png
test 2.png (3.51 MiB) Viewed 529 times
test 3.png
test 3.png (2.65 MiB) Viewed 529 times
test 4.png
test 4.png (2.84 MiB) Viewed 529 times

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I was suggesting that Landfill could be used to get at ores found in the water. Currently, water overwrites any ores, so all Landfill can do is help you place miners to get at whatever ores you find on dry land, next to the water. It was in response to the idea of specailized miners for use in obtaining ores found in the water, not a suggestion for the current vanilla game.

There is a mod, I think it is called Water Ores, that allows ores to appear in the water. And there, you either have to add other mods (maybe? Not sure if the bot mining mods allow bots to mine ores from the water) to get at them, or use Landfill to be able to put a Miner on them.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Lee_newsum wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:48 pm
My last annoyance with map generation is when ore patches are generated that overlap the coastline what would be in the sea is lost.
This in and of itself doesn't bother me in the slightest, and to some extent I wouldn't want them to change it.

If anything with their map generation, I wish that when you turned the slider up for more water on the map, that it'd be possible for the ore generation logic to account for this and move/add additional spawns to some of the small islands that get created. It would give you an actual reason to landfill/build out to some of them, and do less map gen cheat scouting just to make sure that no key ores are missing. But I'd be perfectly fine still with many of these patches being cut off by the surrounding water. As the patches tend to get larger as you go, I wouldn't want all of the islands to be made into the perfect size for the ore patch.

But underwater ore deposits could be nice, too, for the really large water gen settings, but I don't know if it'd be better to have specialized equipment for it or to landfill to get at it.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “General discussion”