Landmines, the underestimated weapon against Biters

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Landmines, the underestimated weapon against Biters

Post by GregoriusT »

So, recently I figured I should start using means of War that are less standard and boring. I learned many people do not use Landmines at all, so that seemed pretty "exotic" to me, making me want to try use some good old War Crimes against them Buggers.

I started looking up Landmines and related Stuff on the Internet, ofcourse in the Factorio context, and found a lot of "normal" Ideas like Wall designs and how to make sure Bots dont die replenishing them, but turns out, barely anyone is talking about the actual strategic ways of using Factorio Landmines. (with some nice exceptions)

One of the first things I want to say about Landmines is, they are cheap, like cheaper than a Magazine of Yellow Ammo even, it is ridiculous how economical Landmines are! That piece of Steel looks scary, but it is just five Iron Plates, which get divided by four!

If you dont want to deal with complicated Stuff, just put a Line of Landmines behind your Stone Wall and in front of your Turrets, so that Biters that break through the Wall will get exploded, giving you some time to repair things. Making use of Landmines this way even works with Flamethrowers, which normally burn the Landmines to death. Just make sure the Landmines are not too close to the Turrets as Spitters attacking your Turrets might splash the Landmines by accident.

Using Landmines to attack Nests is also an interesting option, sure you will lose like 80% of the Landmines you place to Biter attacks, but the remaining 20% will blow up the Nests and Worms easily. That and many Biters will be too busy trying to get rid of your burrowing Landmines to attack you. Always remember, Landmines are cheaper than Yellow Ammo!

Landmine Explosions themselves, unlike Landmines in the process of burrowing, do not aggro Biters at all, so you might be able to protect your Rail Power Poles from attacks by surrounding them with Landmines, giving you more time before you have to go fix broken Buildings and Rails.

A supposedly well known, but barely talked about, Speedrun Strat is to protect your Mining Outposts with contained Landmines, kindof like this Blueprint I eventually made does:

It replaces the Lamps that most people put in their Mining Drill Setups with Landmines, so when the Biters start to nibble at your Drills you can rest assured that a Landmine will eventually go off and protect most of your Mining Outpost! And while at it, why not place 5 more Landmines around the Miners in the spots that the grid alignment would fill in with Landmines anyway, so you get a whole little cloud of Landmines around your Mining Outpost!

Defensive Roboports are a type of Turret, you put a Roboport, add Bots and a Storage Chest full of Landmines, and then spam Landmines in its Construction Area.
- Bonus points if you power it with Solar but without Accumulators so the Roboport is only online during the Day, potentially saving you a lot of Bot Deaths, if you placed enough Landmines.
- Though even better if you make the Landmine Chest a Steel Chest and have an inserter only ever drop one Landmine at a time into the Storage Chest, so that you never get more than one Bot outside.
- That trick also works also well with Repair Packs if you extract the ones that Bots bring back out of the Storage Chest and Roboport.

Another interesting thing I noticed with Defensive Roboports is, that Spitters ofcourse attack freshly placed Landmines, and that their spit has an Area of Effect, so it is not a wise idea to have a compact wall of Landmines, and instead space them apart a few Tiles so you dont get tons of bots trying to repair the damage the Spitters do.
Screenshot_20240108_005102.png
Screenshot_20240108_005102.png (252.53 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Screenshot_20240108_005526.png
Screenshot_20240108_005526.png (278.27 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
One may think Biters can just walk on through this Minefield, but do not forget they almost always march in groups, so the Biter behind and to the side of the Mine Dodger will instead trigger the Mine and blow up more Biters per Landmine than a densely packed Minefield would, while saving you some suicidal Bots to Spitter Collateral.

Behemoth Worms will eventually pose an Issue, but you wont need Artillery to automatically defend yourself from that! Roboports with Landmines can actually fix the Issue by blowing up Expansion Parties before they even settle next to your Wall, because they have a Range of over 50 tiles!

While playing I have discovered something that might be an entirely new aspect of Landmines. I tend to have the Biter Expansion Chunks Debug Overlay ON at all times, and when I placed a ton of Landmines into a Chunk, it was still a Green Circle, indicating Biters do not care if the Chunk they expand to is infested with Landmines! Forget spamming Pipes to make a Chunk unattractive real estate to Biters, instead fill it with a few spread out or strategically placed Landmines to get rid of the Expansion Party itself!

P.S. 2.0 will make Quality Landmines more durable while they burrow, because their total Health is higher, so this may be something to think about in the Future.

I hope this helps people actually finding some helpful tips and hints about Factorio Landmines, because I had a hard time finding good Inspiration on this topic over the last couple weeks. I hope to see some new Ideas for this List pop up in the replies. ^^

Have a nice day and a grid aligned Landmine!
Last edited by GregoriusT on Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Landmines, the underestimated weapon against Biters

Post by aka13 »

I find the checkerboard pattern easier to work with, especially on corners.
Otherwise a nice writeup, good job.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

aka13 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:40 am
I find the checkerboard pattern easier to work with, especially on corners.
Yep, checkerboard is still better than just filling in all the squares, it is all about minimizing Spitter collateral damage when replenishing Landmines via Robots. ^^

There certainly are better patterns than the screenshots i showed to merely demonstrate what I meant by spacing them apart. I'm sure it could even be optimized with half spaced Landmines and measuring out the exact AoE that Behemoth Spitters have.
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/rz-LandmineGridlock :!:

I have written a bit on landmines. They are the strongest offensive and defensive option. In deathworld with armored biters the flamethrower turrets weren't enough, but pure landmine defense handled them easily and cheaply. They are the best offensive option as well, they work both as distractor capsules and as much stronger slowdown capsules but with no cooldown and like a submachine gun firerate rocket launcher. And deal amazing damage.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

What if I told you, I used Landmine Gridlock to place down a single Landmine and then blueprinted it, so I don't need a Mod anymore? XD

That way I have the freedom of just putting Landmines wherever, while at my Base I can just whip out the Blueprint to be precise. Best of both Worlds, while also being Achievement compatible! :D

(I am one of those people who tries to minimize the amount of Mods used, so I dont rely on them being present when playing with Friends, and in most cases to also get rid of useless HUD elements that annoy the hell out of me)

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I wish there would be a button to force mine alignment for aesthetical reasons, if landmines are to be aesthetical.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

PoppuTheWeak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PoppuTheWeak »

I'll totally agree on the power of landmines.

First game I ever played, I had 2 outposts which were getting half-destroyed a few times. For some reason (not sure what it was) I couldn't get enough oil for the flamethrowers, and my red ammo wasn't enough.

I was considering dropping the game when I remembered I had built some thousands of landmines. I put a whole lot (manually maybe? but then I had personal bots) in front of my outposts's walls, dropped some supplies for the local bots to resupply, and went on trying to salvage things.

Biters were totally neutralized just like that!

I even saw a biter (maybe a behemoth? at least one which could survive a single landmine) trigger a landmine, get stunned, and before stun wore off, a bot had put a new landmine... which promptly exploded again! Rince, repeat, and the biter finally died.

The base is now a happy ~3kspm megabase, with some mighthy spaghetti everywhere :D

So yes, landmines are really powerful, they are cheap, and they also benefit from infinite technologies, so if you have issues, just use them!

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

PoppuTheWeak wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:10 pm
First game I ever played, I had 2 outposts which were getting half-destroyed a few times. For some reason (not sure what it was) I couldn't get enough oil for the flamethrowers, and my red ammo wasn't enough.
Red Ammo is an outright scam when it comes to Defense. You can literally just build 3 times the Turrets and supply them with the cheaper Yellow Ammo and get the same if not better amount of Damage output that Red Ammo Turrets would have given!

And all you need is Iron! If your Outpost mines Iron, which it most likely does, you can make Yellow Ammo on site easily! If it does oil then go flamethrowers instead, and if it does Iron and Coal, you got the Landmine Jackpot! Assuming Coal Liquefaction that is. With Iron and Copper you should make Green Circuits, those are easier to transport and making them into Red Ammo is a scam afterall. ;)

So keep your Red Ammo for Mil Sci, Personal use, Vehicles, Turret Creep, Green Ammo and ofcourse Defender Capsules! Just do not use it for Defense, that is too expensive.
aka13 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:49 pm
I wish there would be a button to force mine alignment for aesthetical reasons, if landmines are to be aesthetical.
That's why I have put a blueprint for that exact thing in my Post. It is wonderful how you can just align Blueprints to the Tile Grid by force. ;)

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

The sole fact, that I saw speedrunners highly utilize mines for deathworld runs, has made me see how absurdly strong they are. I didn't even know they were this cheap! They're even amazing offensively! Heck, they're even amazing when placed in mass next to nests!

Return to “General discussion”